C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

front brake squeal - 06c230ss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' C230SS
front brake squeal - 06c230ss

2006 C230 SS; 19,800 Mi.; OEM Brake Parts still in use.

Ok, for a while, when I would go to back my car in to my driveway.. I would hear almost the same sound as a whale would make..hahah.. (from around the front rotors/pads) well that went away after a few days. Now a new noise -and this one is worse only because it is way more persistent. The new noise is only a slight squeal/squeak coming from the front rotors/pads. But it occurs every time I brake.

Suggestions?

I don't mind conducting a brake job but I sure as heck thought the OEM parts would last longer than 20k miles.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=76D_tZ3c-Z0

like mine?

i change both to Hawk Brake pad and Power Slot rotor... the sound is even louder making a super high pitch that can pierce thru your ears
Old 03-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
OEM pads don't last that long. 20K is about average. You'll probably get a warning about your pads soon. Lots of people here have good luck with ceramic pads to reduce dust. Although it IS recommended to change your rotors at the same time as your pads, it's not absolutely necessary.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You can put a stiff, non-melting grease on the rear of the pads where they contact the piston, or use a double stick tape like 3M 468MP to stick the pad to the piston. The grease will allow the pads to float better on the piston to avoid the squeel. The tape allows the pad to be pulled back from the rotor when the piston retracts, to avoid contact.

You can change the rotors if they are warpped and causing the squeel. Machining existing rotors is not cost effective because ordinary workshop lathes cannot machine the rotors with enough precision. Set up time required in a precision machine shop for two rotors would cost more than buying two rotors.

Properly bedding the pads when new can also avoid glazing that leads to noisey brakes.

Never store brake parts near pork products, the squeel from the pig is infectious and can contaminate your pads.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Sport 1.8
My wife's Lexus LS470 did that at about 2K miles after a break change. I took it up to 60 MPH and slammed on brakes to a stop twice and it has be quiet as butter since.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:29 PM

06' C230SS
First off, thanks for the responses.

Kira- sounds like a freaking whale bro, that's exactly what i was talking about, and only in reverse for me haha. (at least this problem has seemed to fix itself this past week)

E- Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty religous myself about resurfacing rotors while changing pads. But as previously discussed, it's too much of a hassle. I've got an Aamco lathe at work but it isn't even worth trying to cut them, haha.

Moviela- Are you referring to something equivelant to CRC's disk brake quiet? Just the red goopy formula? I figured this attempt would be least effective because I assumed our pads use shims, so in my experience there is no need for the goop. But I can imagine after 20k mi. the piston has worn quite a nice ( ) in the back on my pad I'll look into the 3M products since I carry their entire line through work . "Properly bedding the pads when new can also avoid glazing that leads to noisey brakes." funny you should mention that, i just recently read a DIY somewhere on big brake kits where this is recommended, didn't think to use it on OEM parts, thanks for the tip!

3sonmac- I gotta travel about 10-12 miles on I-95 in the morning to get to work, so I'm sure I will be well over 60 depending on the traffic. Just for ****s and giggles, I'll do a brake check for ya!

Has anyone tried an "Adaptive One" pad on their MB's? I don't expect many people to know the brand I'm referring too... Basically it's a ceramic outer pad to stop dust build-up and I'm assuming some sort of non-ferrous metallic material on the inner pad. So really, it's the best of both worlds, 'from what they say'.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
sounds like you've got a little DIY brake project comming up. People seem to like the Akebono ceramic pads available through Tirerack and also Porterfields. Both have been said to significantly dust less than OEM pads.

BTW - MB has factory paste(?) that they put on the back of the pads to reduce noise and not shims.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:34 PM

06' C230SS
E! Yeah bro, I'm definitly going to take a Saturday coming up in April and just dedicate the day to photographing the experience! I'll do pads, rotors, and sensors. Heck, if I wake up early enough I may even paint my calipers while I have the wheels off :-D
By the way thanks for the brake suggestions and this statement "BTW - MB has factory paste that they put on the back of the pads to reduce noise and not shims." Because I had no clue and ya know what they say, 'knowledge is power' ^
Old 03-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by 06c230hwd
E! Yeah bro, I'm definitly going to take a Saturday coming up in April and just dedicate the day to photographing the experience! I'll do pads, rotors, and sensors. Heck, if I wake up early enough I may even paint my calipers while I have the wheels off :-D
By the way thanks for the brake suggestions and this statement "BTW - MB has factory paste that they put on the back of the pads to reduce noise and not shims." Because I had no clue and ya know what they say, 'knowledge is power' ^
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hah, that sounds funny. The reason you get this is because you are just barely applying the brakes and they resonate between the rotor and caliper brackets. Most brakes will do this. You can put more grease on the caliper slide and that will help. I don't even think putting more anti-squeal paste on the backing plates would help much for this situation. You can consider driving faster and stepping on the brake pedal harder.

Now if you do change to a different pad, you have to either cut or replace the rotors because there is embedded material from the old pads on the rotors that will cause a chatter, almost like a warped rotors feel when braking and will certainly lead to a period of squeal for a month or so until the old material is worn off.