C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

questions about rear lights, sizes, and the lil 'hidden' wedge bulb?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
questions about rear lights, sizes, and the lil 'hidden' wedge bulb?

Hi, so i was bored and wanted to swap out all my rear buls with brighter ones.
I tried to change my rear lights with brighter ones, found out that only the 3 on top are 1156 and the one at bottom is an 1157 (u gotta push in and twist out). Also, I dont know if u guys seen it, I accidently yanked out the rear lights module/house a bit more and a little wedge bulb came out. I guess its some sorta corner light and really dont do much but thought it was interesting. Its pretty well hidden beside the rear lights module below a screw further in.
Also, I find that when the rear fog is lit its not really a seperate bulb BUT the rear 1157 bulbs have dual filament (both are same) HOWEVER only the one on rear left lights up. Is this a wire connection thing? I mean if they're both same dual filament bulbs why does only one bulb light both filaments and not the one on right (I know that by law european rear fog is only one side but I mean why doesnt work physically in the Coupe on both side?).
*Last i notice that other then dual filament and there are two connectors at bottom instead of one over 1156 and 1157 are same size/shape so can I put 1156 in place of 1157 (ordered wrong bulbs). Thanks for any input/info.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:22 PM

2002 C320
oh man please don't do it!! last time this guy (he live around my house) infront of me every time he press on the break his light is soo bright is like he is high bining me.. drive me crazy.. then after a week i saw his car on the street again his rear light was all smash up.. he must have got someone really ****..
Old 11-30-2002, 04:25 PM

I dont really think mine will be that bright (if any). The stock are 21W vs 27W is what I got. Although I would like to get 50W bulbs for my backup light as its hard to see at nite w/ 20% titnt in back (probably what your neighbor got on ALL ). I understand your issue with it as a friend of mine had clear rear housing and got some serious blinding white lights for turn signals, everytime he blink its like a camera flashing at u
Old 11-30-2002, 11:21 PM

2002 C320
Yeah back up light is a good idea =)
Old 12-01-2002, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Rear Fog

The idea is to light only ONE side [usually the left side in left-hand-drive countries] with the rear fog. This is not a wiring anomaly, this is the way it's designed.

The rear fog increases visibility of the car about 300% in real fog situations, but the idea is not to confuse it with the stop lights, so only one side is lit.

In the UK, on the other hand, dual rear fogs seem common - I note that all of the Jaguars and Land Rovers I see here in the USA using rear fogs have two lights lit; on the Continent, it seems a single light is the standard.

I wish more people would use them around here - we get frequent ground fogs in our area at this time of year, and it amazing to see the number of rear-fog equipped cars running around without the lights on. Rear visibility [or lack thereof] causes several multiple car pileups every year in our neck of the woods on both I-5 and US 99.
Old 12-01-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: Rear Fog

Originally posted by jrct9454
The idea is to light only ONE side [usually the left side in left-hand-drive countries] with the rear fog. This is not a wiring anomaly, this is the way it's designed.

The rear fog increases visibility of the car about 300% in real fog situations, but the idea is not to confuse it with the stop lights, so only one side is lit.

In the UK, on the other hand, dual rear fogs seem common - I note that all of the Jaguars and Land Rovers I see here in the USA using rear fogs have two lights lit; on the Continent, it seems a single light is the standard.

I wish more people would use them around here - we get frequent ground fogs in our area at this time of year, and it amazing to see the number of rear-fog equipped cars running around without the lights on. Rear visibility [or lack thereof] causes several multiple car pileups every year in our neck of the woods on both I-5 and US 99.
jrct, if you read my post carefully i stated that I know/understand what the rear fog light is for....i was asking about the actual physical bulb inside the coupe and how it work (in details). My Audi A4 had a rear fog light too but it had its own bulb unlike the Coupe (dual filament). Actually I use my rear fog in bad weather but i see ppl. around here run around with rear fog (esp MB vehicles) in clear nite and its annoying as heck
Old 12-01-2002, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: Re: Rear Fog

Originally posted by tberry
Actually I use my rear fog in bad weather but i see ppl. around here run around with rear fog (esp MB vehicles) in clear nite and its annoying as heck
I don't think those people know how it works. They are probably just looking to turn on the front fogs, so they pull the knob out all the way.