C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tommy the Trendsetter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 10:50 PM
jlm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tommy the Trendsetter

So there I am, reading through my most recent AutoWeek, enjoying the end of a long weekend. I'm reading about the Lysholm supercharger in the MB E55 AMG (I'm an engineer, I eat that stuff up!) and I flip the page. There, to my amazement, is a picture of the car's interior, finished in Smurf blue!!

jlm
Old 12-01-2002, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Tommy the Trendsetter

Originally posted by jlm
So there I am, reading through my most recent AutoWeek, enjoying the end of a long weekend. I'm reading about the Lysholm supercharger in the MB E55 AMG (I'm an engineer, I eat that stuff up!) and I flip the page. There, to my amazement, is a picture of the car's interior, finished in Smurf blue!!

jlm
You may wish to follow Kleeman's progress on replacing the Roots type supercharger on the C230K with a Lysholm unit over on C-Sport. It sounds promising...and lets be honest, who doesn't want a 300HP+ Coupe?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:19 AM

I have a feeling the point of this thread is not to point out how amazing the Lysholm is in the E55, but the fact that tuner MB has a smurf-blue interior, a-la one of the most controversial interior colours on the MBworld boards
Old 12-02-2002, 12:57 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Frankly, I don't see the "controversy" involved here. Members have expressed their "individuality" with their cars on this forum in dozens of ways (whether it be exterior mods, or interior).

Visit the average Corvette dealership, or pick up the new 350Z brochure (burnt orange seats in charcoal interior) and you will see wilder interior schemes than the subject here.

It seems that folks get wild with their car exteriors, and somehow it's OK. But mess with the interior and somehow it's too radical. It's all the same, to me (in a good way).
Old 12-02-2002, 02:20 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
that's probably the blue leather insert from AMG. from certain angle it can look like smurf blue, but it's actually darker.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
AMG uses two tone leather interiors in the E Class sedans as an option...MB calls it "Designo" in some parts of the world and "Evolution" in others...

The photo in AutoWeek shows a deeper blue inset on charcoal leather...as opposed to the bolder silver/smurf of Tommy's choice.

I'm not a designer, and I've never claimed to be....but something about silver leather just begs for problems with the finish over time. <shrug>
Old 12-02-2002, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by Rick
AMG uses two tone leather interiors in the E Class sedans as an option...MB calls it "Designo" in some parts of the world and "Evolution" in others...
Designo is something different, they are special interiors and exteriors for AMG as well as non-AMG cars. Most designo cars are actually non-AMG, and this is an expensive option. But AMG cars do offer two-tone interiors, which are much cheaper. One of them is a charcoal/blue interior. I haven't seen the interior in Auto Week, but you can get char/blue, char/silver, char/red, and some other interiors on AMG cars in the US. There are probably even more available in Europe and other parts of the world, where people are not so conservative about their color choices.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:12 PM
jlm

easy, mb-bob!

I didn't mean to imply that the E55 interior was 'controversial'. I enjoyed following the threads about tommy's interior appointments, and I wholeheartedly support his right to choose. I especially got a kick out of his good-natured tagline that "...no smurfs were sacrificed...". I simply found it interesting that he and AMG's designers had similar tastes. If anything, it's vindication for tommy!

jlm

boring charcoal interior