C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help with sound coming from rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R129, XF Sportbrake, SC400
Help with sound coming from rear

I've been hearing this sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car for a while now and it seems to be getting louder as time passes. It is a sort of pulsating sound that gets faster as the car moves faster. It almost sounds like a rubbing sound but i do not see anything that could be rubbing. I can also feel it slightly on the floor through my feet. I hear it best when all of the windows are up. Any suggestions on what this could be. I'm guessing wheel bearings. The car has 96k on it.

On another note, the diff fluid is pumped into the differential through a plug on the bottom of it closer to the front of the car on the driver's side right? I wasn't sure if it was a drain or fill plug.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Ryanr317
I've been hearing this sound that seems to be coming from the rear of the car for a while now and it seems to be getting louder as time passes. It is a sort of pulsating sound that gets faster as the car moves faster. It almost sounds like a rubbing sound but i do not see anything that could be rubbing. I can also feel it slightly on the floor through my feet. I hear it best when all of the windows are up. Any suggestions on what this could be. I'm guessing wheel bearings. The car has 96k on it.
This sounds ominously like your differential could be failing. Since the diff is due to be examined at 100,000 miles, I would definitely have it looked at now. The sound can be hard to identify. When mine failed (~76k), I thought it was a hole in the rear exhaust gradually getting louder. The diff is a weak link on these cars, from what I hear, so I would expect that to be your issue. If not, you'll be happy I'm wrong