C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-Class (S203/W203) 4MATIC thread - All you want to know

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by rodelu
So I guess you don't know, eh?
take it to the dealer and get your Service-A done, that will clear the message. Otherwise, it's in the manual.

No, I'm not just going to post how to do it, because I think you should get your car serviced.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 - C280 Avantgarde 4M
Originally Posted by e1000
take it to the dealer and get your Service-A done, that will clear the message. Otherwise, it's in the manual.

No, I'm not just going to post how to do it, because I think you should get your car serviced.
It's not in the manual and I don't give a damn what you think I should do.
The reason you don't post it is because you don't know how to do it. I think you must be one of those wipe-*** satellite kids
Go back to your room and play with your Wii.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
The reason you don't post it is because you don't know how to do it. I think you must be one of those wipe-*** satellite kids
I even know the page number.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' C230SS
i'd say the smartest thing to do is take it to the dealer and have service A performed. by the way, e; you know he went and read his manual after that post
Old 03-23-2008, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
You're an idiot.

#1. its in the manual
#2 you could just search the forums and find out

#3 YOU NEED TO PERFORM SERVICE A
Old 03-23-2008, 01:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by 06c230hwd
i'd say the smartest thing to do is take it to the dealer and have service A performed. by the way, e; you know he went and read his manual after that post
dosen't sound like he found it though!
Old 03-23-2008, 04:15 AM

2007 C230 silver/black
@@ wow, people seeking help with a bad attitude FTL i say.

to rodelu:
we are not paid by you and obviously don't owe you a thing.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by cantblockme
@@ wow, people seeking help with a bad attitude FTL i say.

to rodelu:
we are not paid by you and obviously don't owe you a thing.
Right you are. But if you tell me you want to paint your car red and ask what kind of paint is the best, I wouldn't tell you that you need to paint blue. It'd be none of my business.

If I want to reset my service A message then that's what I want. And if you can't help then don't write anything. Just don't give me advice I didn't ask for unless you are just looking for attention.
So if you do know and want to help then post it. But if you don't know then you don't so don't write anything. That simple.
And no, for the dickwads here, it is not in the manual. And unless you have the exact same car then you don't know, do you?

Arrogant attitudes just floor me.... do some people really need this much attention?????
Old 03-23-2008, 05:31 AM

I even know the page number.
You know and I know that you are lying.
At least I know I have the manual, you on the other hand....
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by acr2001
You're an idiot.

#1. its in the manual
#2 you could just search the forums and find out

#3 YOU NEED TO PERFORM SERVICE A
What was I going to say to you???? Ah yeah! Nothing!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
You know and I know that you are lying.
At least I know I have the manual, you on the other hand....
Old 03-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
I see a re-occuring theme in your posts:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=#post2395594
Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Ok, this thread is plain BS.

Rodelu, read your F-in manual!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get your Service A done, THEN you can reset your service reminder. I have the same year car, and I can tell you for a fact, that your Service A needs to be completed at 1 year OR 13,000 miles. Since you are past the 1 year, get your Service A completed. If you look at my oil analysis thread in my signature, you will see there are a LOT of wear metals in the engine before the 1st service, so you need to change the oil to get them out.

In your manual there are in fact pages containing the information on when to service your car AND how to reset the service reminder.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by johnand
Ok, this thread is plain BS.

Rodelu, read your F-in manual!!!!!!!!!!!!! You need to get your Service A done, THEN you can reset your service reminder. I have the same year car, and I can tell you for a fact, that your Service A needs to be completed at 1 year OR 13,000 miles. Since you are past the 1 year, get your Service A completed. If you look at my oil analysis thread in my signature, you will see there are a LOT of wear metals in the engine before the 1st service, so you need to change the oil to get them out.

In your manual there are in fact pages containing the information on when to service your car AND how to reset the service reminder.
John, I understand I need to get the car serviced. I will do it because I don't want any warranty problems. The manual does not say how to clear that message - the manual says that the procedure, should you get the maintenance done by a shop other than MB, is available to that shop from MB. However I heard of other shops calling MB only to be told that they could not be told how to reset that.

If you have a different manual it may say. Mine doesn't. Unless it's in really tiny print. My point was that I was looking for information on how to reset it and these guys said they knew how but were not going to tell me because I needed to get the maintenance done. Well, boo hoo! like I need someone to tell me what's best for me. As if I were stupid or as if they knew better than me what's good for me. If you can't help then don't. You don't owe me anything but don't get all righteous and talk down to me like some kid that needs attention. I have found that people that say "I know but won't tell you" usually don't anything to begin with.

So if you tell me what page that information is in, I can scan that page and show you that perhaps my manual is different. If not it's OK too.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:17 PM

It'd be good if you read the posts above that too.

But thank you for taking the time to look that up. Now I know you really care
Old 03-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
My problem with you rodelu is that from your original post, we made a recomendation that is for your own good. If you read back, your post says "I don't think I need it yet". In no way did you ever indicate on subsequent posts that you inteded to get at least an oil change. After recieving good advice from myself and others, you then proceeded to insult me, and call me names.

I don't see how any of my suggestions were any different than anyone else's here. The Service-A indicator isn't a big deal as it goes of shortly after the car is started and isn't even persistant.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You really do need to change the oil after a calendar year. When the oil is first exposed to the products of combustion the additives begin to be depleted. The additives are "consumed" after one year, regardless of actual mileage driven. One risks real engine damage by not servicing according to time and mileage.

I checked my manual for instructions on how to reset the cluster, and the manual has a page that basically blows you off.

I captured the page from my manual using OCR. Here is the text from page 336:

Maintenance
Resetting the maintenance service indicator
In the event that the maintenance service on your vehicle is not carried out by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center, you can have the maintenance service indicator reset. The automotive maintenance facility carrying out the maintenance service will find the information for resetting the maintenance service indicator in the maintenance-relevant information for your vehicle. Such information is available from either your authorized Mercedes-Benz Center or directly from Mercedes-Benz.

If the maintenance service indicator was inadvertently reset, have an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center correct it.
Only reset if the proper maintenance service has been performed. Resetting the system without performing the proper service as called for by the maintenance service indicator will result in engine damage and/or other vehicle damage not covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.

Telling people to read the manual is not helpful in every case. I find in the service instructions have different "resetting" instructions depending on year, chassis number, and market. Yeah, Canada is different than the US, because 2005 Canadian cars still use the FSS technique, while US cars adopted time and mileage.

On my car when the nag screen is visible in the MFD, I push and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds to reset the service interval indicator.
Old 03-23-2008, 02:27 PM

06' C230SS
Lets see, you have only mentioned deleting the message prior to this point, without getting the service done because you are not at the correct amount of miles. A LOT of particulates have built up and sat over the past year, now is the time to have them removed, which is why your computer is telling you so. Obviously everyone here is trying to help you from making a major mistake and ruining your engine. Right off the bat you seem like quite the definition of procrastination. I mean, you've probably already wasted a week of your engines life trying to figure out if service A is really that important or not. In the meantime, it's Sunday so unless you're a DYI guy, nothing is getting done today, why don't you enjoy the day and stop posting for a while. When you come back maybe someone may even post the proper page number by then? Anyway, here's a tip, watch your attitude with these senior members. Every single one of us came here at one point or another seeking some sort of advice. And for the ones who come storming in running their mouth off like you, well hell I can't even remember their names from the board, because they are gone So in other words, sugar > vinegar when seeking information that YOU simply can't find or can't figure out. I wasn't even going to waste my time with you, but I noticed your other post about the alarm and realized you needed a good sitting down... just like a small child when they get too worked up! Good luck in the future with your endeavors and don't be such a d!ck! (im sure your wife would appreciate it)

_Howard
Old 03-23-2008, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
we don't need members like this guy here..just ban him
Old 03-23-2008, 02:40 PM

06' C230SS
Originally Posted by benz_addict
we don't need members like this guy here..just ban him
lol <3 you, i was basically going to delete everything i typed and write something exactly along those lines.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:14 PM

03 c320 sport
Help what offset for a 03 c320 4matic??

Hey everyone i am looking to put some rims on my wifes c320 4matic, i want 18" does anyone know what offset and wheel width i should get.. i have some chrome tsw vortex 18X9 with a 35mm offset, with 245/40/18 tires and they didnt fit..1200$ down the drain... can anyone help... i found some 18x8.5 with a 42mm offset.. and ive heard this should clear the front shocks... any help would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by 06c230hwd
Lets see, you have only mentioned deleting the message prior to this point, without getting the service done because you are not at the correct amount of miles. A LOT of particulates have built up and sat over the past year, now is the time to have them removed, which is why your computer is telling you so. Obviously everyone here is trying to help you from making a major mistake and ruining your engine. Right off the bat you seem like quite the definition of procrastination. I mean, you've probably already wasted a week of your engines life trying to figure out if service A is really that important or not. In the meantime, it's Sunday so unless you're a DYI guy, nothing is getting done today, why don't you enjoy the day and stop posting for a while. When you come back maybe someone may even post the proper page number by then? Anyway, here's a tip, watch your attitude with these senior members. Every single one of us came here at one point or another seeking some sort of advice. And for the ones who come storming in running their mouth off like you, well hell I can't even remember their names from the board, because they are gone So in other words, sugar > vinegar when seeking information that YOU simply can't find or can't figure out. I wasn't even going to waste my time with you, but I noticed your other post about the alarm and realized you needed a good sitting down... just like a small child when they get too worked up! Good luck in the future with your endeavors and don't be such a d!ck! (im sure your wife would appreciate it)

_Howard
WOW and good sitting down???? - and you guys talk about attitude?
Anyway, somebody has posted the page and what it says, and it doesn't say how to reset it unless you take it to MB. I called the dealer 3 days ago and the service department said there was NO RUSH in bringing it in. So your comment about losing a week's of engine life seems to be wrong unless the mechanic doesn't know what he's talking about.

On the other hand I figured out how to reset the message already anyway. It is a little different than what I found doing a search in google.

I don't mind good advice. I do mind being talked down to. You all answered first assuming I was doing something stupid. When you start off like that it's nothing but a reflection of your own values. As for banning me... go ahead I don't care. And if you have to ban me for disagreeing with you so be it. Not everybody that answered had a bad attitude and I do appreciate the ones that tried to help. I do belong to a bunch of other forums and let me tell you that this is the only one I found where people talk like this. Usually they try to help. Nobody has said to me before "I know how to do that but won't tell you unless you first do..."
Kind of reminds me of what in industrial psychology they called mob dynamics. Few people see someone perceived as weak and everybody jumps on him. When one jumps in, everybody jumps in. Kind of what happens when riots break out. Like the LA riots or the four soldiers that were hanged in Baghdad. Interesting.

This is my last message regarding this. I don't want to keep on writing. What should I say... Thanks for nothing???
Geez!
Old 03-23-2008, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Moviela
You really do need to change the oil after a calendar year. When the oil is first exposed to the products of combustion the additives begin to be depleted. The additives are "consumed" after one year, regardless of actual mileage driven. One risks real engine damage by not servicing according to time and mileage.

I checked my manual for instructions on how to reset the cluster, and the manual has a page that basically blows you off.

I captured the page from my manual using OCR. Here is the text from page 336:

Maintenance
Resetting the maintenance service indicator
In the event that the maintenance service on your vehicle is not carried out by an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center, you can have the maintenance service indicator reset. The automotive maintenance facility carrying out the maintenance service will find the information for resetting the maintenance service indicator in the maintenance-relevant information for your vehicle. Such information is available from either your authorized Mercedes-Benz Center or directly from Mercedes-Benz.

If the maintenance service indicator was inadvertently reset, have an authorized Mercedes-Benz Center correct it.
Only reset if the proper maintenance service has been performed. Resetting the system without performing the proper service as called for by the maintenance service indicator will result in engine damage and/or other vehicle damage not covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.

Telling people to read the manual is not helpful in every case. I find in the service instructions have different "resetting" instructions depending on year, chassis number, and market. Yeah, Canada is different than the US, because 2005 Canadian cars still use the FSS technique, while US cars adopted time and mileage.

On my car when the nag screen is visible in the MFD, I push and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds to reset the service interval indicator.
Thank you Moviela for your reply. This is the kind of answer I was expecting to see in the first place. I did manage to reset the message and I also have an appointment at the dealership two weeks from now. At least now I don't have to read that annoying message everytime I start the car.
Cheers
Old 03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
John, I understand I need to get the car serviced. I will do it because I don't want any warranty problems. The manual does not say how to clear that message - the manual says that the procedure, should you get the maintenance done by a shop other than MB, is available to that shop from MB. However I heard of other shops calling MB only to be told that they could not be told how to reset that.

If you have a different manual it may say. Mine doesn't. Unless it's in really tiny print. My point was that I was looking for information on how to reset it and these guys said they knew how but were not going to tell me because I needed to get the maintenance done. Well, boo hoo! like I need someone to tell me what's best for me. As if I were stupid or as if they knew better than me what's good for me. If you can't help then don't. You don't owe me anything but don't get all righteous and talk down to me like some kid that needs attention. I have found that people that say "I know but won't tell you" usually don't anything to begin with.
OK, now we are getting somewhere, since you say you plan on getting the service done. Sorry about my 1st post seeming harsh, but everyone that posted before I did, was just trying to help you. E1000 is one of our more experienced and respected members here, and I was angry to see the way he was getting treated by your posts. The reason they were not telling you how to reset, was they wanted to make sure you got the service before resetting the reminder. They were only looking out for you and your interests. By just resetting the reminder and not getting the service done, would cause damage to your engine that would NOT be covered by warranty.

So if you tell me what page that information is in, I can scan that page and show you that perhaps my manual is different. If not it's OK too.
Page 311 of my 2007 C-Class owners manual says EXACTLY how to reset the reminder. It states that Canada uses the FSS, but still explains the reset. HINT: If you know how to reset your trip odometer, you should be able to figure out how to reset the service reminder.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:14 PM

About that post just for the record if anybody cares - since I couldn't get an answer from anybody about the alarm I ended up making one myself by using a Picaxe microcontroller and tapping into the existing pins. The circuit itself and software were easy to design/write, the installation wasn't.
In this case I also found a LOT of people writing that I DID have an alarm... think I wouldn't have noticed????

Bye.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.

Quick Reply: C-Class (S203/W203) 4MATIC thread - All you want to know