C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Audio 10 quirks and quarks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 09:08 AM
taylor192

Audio 10 quirks and quarks

OK I took my C230K on a long trip, 4 hours, and noticed some things:

1. When it is freezing cold the CD doesn't work properly, sometimes skipping, playing too fast, not advancing songs.
2. The Audio 10 heats up like crazy, my CDs were so warm after an hour of listening.
3. After the Audio 10 heats up the radio stations don't always switch properly. For instance I changed from preset 4 to preset 2 and it stayed on the station for preset 4, although it was displaying the station ID for preset 2.

The absense of a FF track button also annoys me cause sometimes I'd like to advance to a point in a song rather than ahve to listen to all of it.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
I've noticed that sometimes if I hit the station seek button (up or down arrow on the steering wheel), the tuner will not stop on the next clear station. Instead it just keeps going around the dial and never stops. I have to hit a preset button to get it to stop seeking, then it works fine after that.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
It is apparently easy to confuse the logic circuit in the Audio 10 CD. If you press the channel preset button too lighty, of if you press the channel up/down button on the steering wheel too fast, you will hear one station and see a different station listed on the display. Still sounds better than stock and looks better than some aftermarket add-on. I'd buy it again!
Old 12-10-2002, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I'm still second guessing whether or not it really sounds better then the cassette. When I have some time, I'm going to swap the cassette back in and see if I notice a reduction in quality. I think the Audio Pilot feature on the Bose cassette might be a good thing to keep, especially for those with a sunroof.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by avlis
I'm still second guessing whether or not it really sounds better then the cassette. When I have some time, I'm going to swap the cassette back in and see if I notice a reduction in quality. I think the Audio Pilot feature on the Bose cassette might be a good thing to keep, especially for those with a sunroof.
I have the Audio 10 CD and it appears to still increase/decrease volume like the AudioPilot system.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:59 PM

C230 K
I've just installed the audio 10 today and listen to it for a while, and switch back to the stock and switch again for about five times. With a setting of treble 0 and bass 5 on both HUs, I can definately hear the audio10 sounding way better on the low range. too bad there's only few iowan radio station that support RDS.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:19 AM

Like Crazy
Originally posted by Jim Banville
It is apparently easy to confuse the logic circuit in the Audio 10 CD. If you press the channel preset button too lighty, of if you press the channel up/down button on the steering wheel too fast, you will hear one station and see a different station listed on the display.
germans... who can figure what they do? if they didnt make those quirks and quarks...imagine what kind of world will we be living in?

you should have stuck to the alpine made stock unit! hahahaha just kidding

anyway, i experienced the problem where the seek bypasses all the stations... still havent figured it out. The volume rising and lowering... i hade MB disable that thing they call a speed control. Everythings fine except for that terrible vibration coming from the reardeck might be from the childseat hook cover things.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:39 AM

C230 K
quark

this might rather be a quark than a quirk.:p

Have you guys ever noticed that the audio 10 can store different equalizer presets for each cd player, changer, and radio mode? I'm freakingly amazed by this. I don't even know that the stock one can do this (never tried it).
Old 12-11-2002, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
The standard audio 30 stores separate eq settings for am/fm/ce/cass/weather too....
As far as the rest of the heat, skipping, station missing and AM tuner problems, take your car to the dealer and have them fix it under <cough, cough> warranty.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by DCX Engineer
I have the Audio 10 CD and it appears to still increase/decrease volume like the AudioPilot system.
To my knowledge, AudioPilot and speed sensitive volume are two different things. AudioPilot uses the microphone to adjust the EQ based on ambient noise.

I don't think the Audio 10 has this. I seem to remember the stock radio sounding better when the windows and roof were open.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by DCX Engineer

I still feel that the Audio 10 CD is 100% better than that stock junk from Japan. The Audio 10 CD increase/decrease in speed when you are driving. I would not have anything else in my Benz!!!
Old 12-11-2002, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Originally posted by Lockbuster
I still feel that the Audio 10 CD is 100% better than that stock junk from Japan. The Audio 10 CD increase/decrease in speed when you are driving. I would not have anything else in my Benz!!!
Doesn't the Bose audio pilot in the OEM cassette deck do the same thing?... increase and decrease volume when you're driving.... I personally like the standard cassette deck.... IMO it looks better and playing Cd's is just fine (GOOD BASS)... radio is a diff story.. but who needs radio when you have a burner!.. and a 6 CD changer, right ?...... although if i had it my way... i would have the looks of the standard cassette HU and the sound of the Audio 10....
Old 12-11-2002, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by altai1083
Doesn't the Bose audio pilot in the OEM cassette deck do the same thing?... increase and decrease volume when you're driving....
Yes, it offends me when people just skip over my post without reading it. R.M.F.P.

Once again, AudioPilot and speed sensitive volume is not the same thing. The following is from Young's post which was from the Bose website:

"How does AudioPilot work?

A microphone continuously monitors the total sound level inside the car- both the music you want to hear and the noise you don’t. Then, Bose digital electronics separate the music from the noise, and use a compensation algorithm to modify the signal continuously.

It’s difficult to achieve, because the signal modifications must occur as the music plays, noise enters the cabin, and the dynamics of each continues to change. But with the AudioPilot system, everyone in the car can enjoy all the passages - no matter how loud or soft - with no adjustments. And you and your passengers will perceive no change in the overall volume of the audio system. The volume adjustments are that smooth.

Bose AudioPilot circuitry is completely different from conventional speed-controlled car volume features, which simply raise the overall volume as the car increases speed. The Bose system "listens" to the noise, defines its character, then compensates for its presence by adjusting the specific musical tones affected by the noise. To properly engineer our AudioPilot system, we thoroughly examine the car's environment. This knowledge is an important benefit of the Bose “clean sheet” approach to car music system design, in which the vehicle and the sound system are engineered simultaneously from the ground up. "
Old 12-11-2002, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Originally posted by avlis
R.M.F.P.

LOL WILL DO !