C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Fix-it Ticket Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Fix-it Ticket Questions

damn, finally broke my streak of good luck.

was driving to azusa about 45 minutes ago, and bam, as soon as i exit the 210 from azusa ave, i see a copfest. a g35 was pulled over with it's hood up, and 200 feet down, another g35 was pulled over. look to the right in astonishment, and i see ANOTHER car, a s2000 pulled over. i was nervous; my eisenmann is noticeable, so i knock on wood and continue up azusa ave towards the moutains. everything is going fine, and WHAM, see another cop. this time a white MR2 got the business. i continue, even more shakened up. as i near the base of hte mountain, i look in my rearview; and whatdoyaknow, a cop. i'm like crap at this moment and i had to make a left, so i turn my signals on and turn..

woop woop cop flashes. i'm like damn, this is f cked up! i pull over and dude asks me if i knew why he pulled me over. i just replied no, and he said he did it because of a "modified exhaust system". his partner scans my car all around and tells the officer of my missing front plate. he comes back and gives me a fix-it ticket for:
1) modified exhaust
2) white rear turn signals
3) no front plate

normally i wouldn't be mad, but f ck, i wasn't reving or gunning it at all. at 45 mph, my exhaust is very quiet than when i'm flooring it. i was going 40-45 the entire trip down azusa ave, and that is what pissed me off. can you guys tell me what the cop meant by modified exhaust system? i thought they could onyl give you a ticket if the sound is over 93db, and i know POSITIVELY it wasn't. is there anyway i can fight the exhaust fix-it? this just ruined my night, and i know when i deserve a ticket; in this case i don't think i did at all.

paging any MBWorld lawyers!
Old 05-26-2008, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe , NOt THE AVATAR!!
lemme guess, the cop didn't know G35 stock exhaust is loud

as for front plate? lol go make your own tow hook bracket... the GB is dead...

but it works for me for my SLK when i get a ticket,
Old 05-26-2008, 04:42 AM

W203 Kompressor 6spd SS, Audi B5 S4
oh wth. man that sucks. Didn't know white rear turn signals were illegal.. should've left it stock until we found red signal bulbs But good luck contesting the ticket. I'll call you up. lets kick it this coming weekend

btw, your story was very lively.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:52 AM

03 c320
dam this was at like around 1 am..that suckss..sorry to hear that broo
Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
there all fix it tickets. cops are out there generating revenue since the state is running on a deficit due to the slow economy.

Basically a cop can give you a ticket for anything modified regardless if its legal or not. You have to go to court to prove that its legal.

Just put the front plate back on i think its a $10 fix it ticket.

The exhaust, if you have a cop friend he can sign off on it. If i were you i would just take it to a state ref and have him certify that its below 93 db and show to cops as future reference.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 05-26-2008 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm surprised they after your mercedes. usually the cops only stop the japanese imports and leave the german and domestic cars alone.

same thing use to happen to me when i owned my civic and integra. At least they didn't ask you "is this car stolen?" "do you have a criminal record i should know about?"
Old 05-26-2008, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
thanks for al your condolences guys; i really needed it. i honestly don't have hate for cops...

wait.. yes i do.

they just love giving me sh t no matter what i drive. the funniest thing uis that today is the 25th.. and ALL of my tickets in the past occured between the days of 25 and 28th. must fill their quotas ehh?

call me up and lets kick it or something jonathon, lol. kaba modern = yuri + party?
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i'm surprised they after your mercedes. usually the cops only stop the japanese imports and leave the german and domestic cars alone.

same thing use to happen to me when i owned my civic and integra. At least they didn't ask you "is this car stolen?" "do you have a criminal record i should know about?"
that's exactly what i though. i mean, it's a benz, it's obvious that i wouldn't be drifiting down the moutains and whatnot. plus i don't have any thing noticable, other than my muff. i don't even have spoilers or a superlow drop. damnit.

oh, and your statement made me laugh, as i realized that this IS the first time i got stopped and the officer didn't ask me if i was on parole or if i was on gang watch. lmao! thanks for your advice temjin, i'll check it out.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You gotta fix the plate, and the rear signals (amber lamp for the sign off?), but if you have the sport version of the Eisenmann you should be OK. The TUV accepts it for road use in Germany.

http://www.ind-distribution.com/certification.html
Old 05-26-2008, 06:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by Moviela
You gotta fix the plate, and the rear signals (amber lamp for the sign off?), but if you have the sport version of the Eisenmann you should be OK. The TUV accepts it for road use in Germany.

damn. everythjing sounded good until you said sport version. i have the race eisenmann, damn.

if i doit to the state people, what kind of test will they do to measure decibels? also, will the state be able to distinguish what version of the mufler i got? they don't stamp race or sport on the muffler itself, or do they? and also, if i was to add a resonator, will it have a effect on the noise level? or is that only for the cabin noise?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
damn. everythjing sounded good until you said sport version. i have the race eisenmann, damn.

if i doit to the state people, what kind of test will they do to measure decibels? also, will the state be able to distinguish what version of the mufler i got? they don't stamp race or sport on the muffler itself, or do they? and also, if i was to add a resonator, will it have a effect on the noise level? or is that only for the cabin noise?
yeah it was in costa mesa, that a cop pulled that crap on me. It made me really mad.

One time i got stopped in my integra and he thought i had a stolen intake because it said honda motor company on it instead of ACURA.

Then i had to explain Acura is honda and in 1994, all the acura parts we're stamped honda. Anyways, thats when i decided to give rid of the integ and get the benz.

It doesn't really matter what kind of exhaust you have after the cat, since it has no effect on emissions. Just say you want to them to certify its below 93db for your ticket.

Honestly its probably way below 93db anyways. If it was above 93db people would be able to hear you from a couple of blocks away.

Usually cops like to profile younger drivers with modded cars since it shows there strong against street racing and young people tend to fight tickets less. The states running at a deficit and its a election year, so you'll see more of this.

you should've just got out of there when you saw that many cars pulled over.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 PM

C230k coupe 500sec convertible
1. have them test for the db level
you can beat this
2. get the silver bulbs that flash amber (they look just as good as the blue/white ones do)
this you will havew to fix
3. as for the plate, a modified tow hook plate is easily installed and removed for the desired result
this you were caught with your pants down

i got one of these "captains" that was running a speed trap chase me down not for speeding but to chastize me on how many mods I had---(white convertible) of course I had not only the euro plate, but the clear tails, white bulbs front and rear, white vynil bar too far down in the windshield as well as a couple other nit picky things------he wrote me up on an expired tag due to driving that car once every 3-4 months and merely forgot about it---

i learned somthing new this year while on vacation---in CO they test your emmisions while you are going up a ramp ---you can't stop going up a hill. or back down---you are caught w/o cats and get a ticket!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 03:42 PM

97 J30\71 220 gas 4-speed
ALL of my tickets in the past occured between the days of 25 and 28th. must fill their quotas ehh?
They have no quotas. They're allowed to write as many as they want.

As for the exhaust:
" * Excessively noisy exhaust systems and mufflers (27150, 27151 VC). Many aftermarket exhaust systems and parts are illegal. Look for parts that meet California law. If it doesn't say it meets the law, it probably doesn't.

* Exhaust systems which meet smog requirements but are still too loud. Exhaust equipment that states it is, "Legal in all 50 states," refers to smog, not noise.
* Note: New law (27150.2 VC) does not require law enforcement to use sound level meters to test for excessive noise. Citation is based on officer's judgment. Cited violators may have testing done at smog referee stations or may be directed by the court to have testing done. Vehicles in violation must be brought into compliance. A fine may also be imposed."

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/streetlegal.html

The State doesn't make anything from CHP tickets- those funds all go to local government. CHP is funded by registration fees, and special enforcement details are funded either by the State, or Federal grant monies.

And HeirKranz, we've had mobile, drive-by emission checks in California since the seventies, when emissions and smog checks first became money makers for the State. As with all the bulk wrap laws that states come up with regarding emissions and inspections, most start in California. As soon as your state sees how much money they bring in, the jump on the bandwagon.
We used to have safety inspection checks, just like DUI checkpoints, but those went out in the mid-seventies.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:23 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
lol...already great response from others, so i'll save mine.

should've turned around right when you see the first g35 getting pulled over. And I know exactly why you were going up north on Azuza. holiday + GMR = po-po fest.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:30 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by Moviela

doesn't matter. none of the Eisenmann is DOT approved. however if they pull people over for anything other than fart-cans I'd love to see the cops be more consistant and pull those hot-rods over too. chances are they're louder than any exhaust for our cars.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM

W203 Kompressor 6spd SS, Audi B5 S4

call me up and lets kick it or something jonathon, lol. kaba modern = yuri + party?
yeah man. I'll see if I can get Yuri to come over and kick it. I'll call you up sometime this week. I'm not taking the Audi this week, so uh..down for an OC benz meet?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:05 PM

2005 C240 4MATIC, 2010 ML350
I'm not a heavy modder. I like to stick to the cars design, or what best compliments it. But hey, there are lots of legal, great mods out there.

You'd think that a cop would be spending their time doing something more constructive...like fighting crime, than handing out fix-it tickets. Especially in a place like southern-cali.

I have a lot of respect for officers. My wife is in training to be one now. I swear, I think some of these guys don't understand what they should be doing, and let their power just inflate their egos.

Sorry about the frustration you're going through. The best thing to do is to comply and abide by the ticket. You don't want to make things worse than they need to be.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ChrisBrown
I'm not a heavy modder. I like to stick to the cars design, or what best compliments it. But hey, there are lots of legal, great mods out there.

You'd think that a cop would be spending their time doing something more constructive...like fighting crime, than handing out fix-it tickets. Especially in a place like southern-cali.

I have a lot of respect for officers. My wife is in training to be one now. I swear, I think some of these guys don't understand what they should be doing, and let their power just inflate their egos.

Sorry about the frustration you're going through. The best thing to do is to comply and abide by the ticket. You don't want to make things worse than they need to be.
yeah the way i see it, cops are people. So there some good and some bad.

I still respect what they do.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Sucks to hear... but ya gotta admit, your car w/ the race exhaust (loudest exhaust you can buy for our cars) + black wheels and polished lip probably get ya alotta attention. Sometimes the attention is good, sometimes its bad - its just comes w/ the way you have modded the car. It happens - just keep moddin
Old 05-26-2008, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E90 M3
yeah the police usually do stick to pulling over like jdm cars? buuuuttttt your yellow fogs do make you look like a lexus...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
thanks for all the great responses guys. i feel much better now that i know what i can do to make this incident better!

Originally Posted by JonathanMax
yeah man. I'll see if I can get Yuri to come over and kick it. I'll call you up sometime this week. I'm not taking the Audi this week, so uh..down for an OC benz meet?
haha fa shoooooo!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by kevblah
yeah the police usually do stick to pulling over like jdm cars? buuuuttttt your yellow fogs do make you look like a lexus...
haha there's no way they could've seen my fogs. it was at night, plus my fogs don't work. also the cop was tailing me the whole time; it never saw my front end at all.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

let me know when u guys are going to have a oc meet. I'm down to go.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' C32o
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
let me know when u guys are going to have a oc meet. I'm down to go.
most likely during the weekday, but we'll pm you, haha.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hopefully i'll finish my hid retro some time this week.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
i'm down to go if you guys organize a OC meet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fix-it Ticket Questions