C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c320 6 speed conversion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2002, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 c320, acura mdx, infiniti g35 coupe
Question c320 6 speed conversion?

how would i go about gettin a 6 speed manual in my c320? would a tranny swap from a c230k or a c240 work? or should i go to renntech or a diff tuner? I need some advise on the situation because i would love to hav a 6 speed with the 215hp soon to be over 300 with the supercharger. oh yea does anyone know how much it would cost to get the 6 speed conversion and where i would be able to get it? would anything else hav to be done the the car to hav it run without any problems?
thanks guys
Old 12-13-2002, 03:19 AM

2002 C230K
you need ecu reprogrammed for manual tranny, which might require a new unit, not sure on that though.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
It's not worth the cost once you find out what Renntech charges.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:02 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i assuem you have either 01 or 02 C320. I remember someone has posted the price he got from Renntech was around "NOT WORTH IT" ..$6k something.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
If you're willing to spend the money on that, you should trade your car in, take the depreciation hit instead, and then order an '03 C320 6-spd. I don't know if you know that they are now available for '03 with a 6-spd. That would probably be your safest bet. And then it is covered under warranty. Any other mods you may have done can just be transferred over.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I were you and had the money to do a s8ix speed conversion and a supercharger, I would trade the C320 for a C32, and learn to live with the automatic.
Old 12-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Originally posted by Lynn
If I were you and had the money to do a s8ix speed conversion and a supercharger, I would trade the C320 for a C32, and learn to live with the automatic.
Why go that route then? One word: M3!
Old 12-13-2002, 10:18 AM

That sounds good however the automatics are beat... in my personal opinion i rather hav a six speed and i learned that after i got my c320. sure the automatic is easier however it takes out so much excitement from the car. Thats another thing that i hav a complaint about...whats the deal with the amg's sure they are fast and look good but comeon....we need a manual trans option its a high performance car. this is where bmw has benz beat...all the m cars from bmw u can get a manual trans from the factory... dont get me wrong ppl i love amgs and think they are fabulous however id end up gettin a manual trans if i did....

the thing about my c320 is that i got it really cheap and i would not be able to afford a new one if iwanted to... i got the car for $13k through a family member and love the car but wish it was a 6 speed. and as for the supercharger...im gettin that for only 8k. dont ask me how because i really dont know...all i can say is that a freind is doing me a huge favor with that. so right now i hav about $12k to spend on the car...i was hoping the 6 speed conversion woudl cost soemthign liek 3k so then i could somewhat afford it....

thanks everyone for your help and if you hav any suggestions as to what i shoudl do to the car to make it better im alwasy up for ideas....thanks again
Old 12-13-2002, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
M3

Originally posted by tommy
BooM! BooM!

Out go the lights
Old 12-13-2002, 10:59 AM

now which do u think is better and why? c32 amg or m3 coupe?

honestly i would say the m3 for several reasons....1. its faster 2. 333hp naturally aspirated from a v6 unlike the c32 that is supercharged meaning there is room for improvement liek a turbo or a supercharger on the 333 thats already there. 3. 6 speed is standard 4. m3 looks more intimidating

im gonna make a new forum for this mind boggling question, however, this is very opinionated and everyone is entitled to their opinion....i respect ur thoughts and ideas
Old 12-13-2002, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tommy
There is a good reason to not go that route:

BOOM
Old 12-13-2002, 11:21 AM

boom? an explanation would be nice....what makes the m3 so much worst? and boom? wat? boom?
Old 12-13-2002, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally posted by AHermster
2. 333hp naturally aspirated from a v6 unlike the c32 that is supercharged meaning there is room for improvement liek a turbo or a supercharger on the 333 thats already there.
Why don't you ask someone from EvoSport to tell you how much power is left in the M3 engine and what it would take to supercharge it. Good luck.

If we are talking track cars, sure, the M3 wins everytime. However, I drive my car on the road 99% of the time. I think the main category where the C32 is difficient is handling. Also, the M3 isn't faster except in high stress off the line launches. Everywhere else (i.e. real world), the C32 wins in acceleration. I have video of a C32 beating a M3 SMG twice in a row, straight line of course.

Back on topic...I think $6k in other mods is worth more than $6k in just the tranny.

Last edited by JustinTRW; 12-13-2002 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:39 AM

If we are talking track cars, sure, the M3 wins everytime. However, I drive my car on the road 99% of the time. I think the main category where the C32 is difficient is handling. Also, the M3 isn't faster except in high stress off the line launches. Everywhere else (i.e. real world), the C32 wins in acceleration. I have video of a C32 beating a M3 SMG twice in a row, straight line of course.
handling? are you sayin that the c32 has better or worst handling? about the smg being beaten twice sure it can happen and u said that the bmw would win on the track everytime...isnt that the whole idea? isnt that the reason why u buy a sports sedan with over 300 hp? so you can go fast and drive hard?...it really all depends on teh drivers...plus why would u get an smg if you can get a 6 speed.... do u drive stick at all? do you know how? im just curious im not being a dick? and if you do why wouldnt you want a stick shift, you cannot disagree that its soo much more exciting. in addition, i feel that you hav more control over the car with a manual trans...

so anyway back to the orginal topic
wat other mods do u think i shoudl get if not the conversion? i know im gonna get rims 19" lorinser lm5 in chrome and if im lucky ill try an get some p-zero's
Old 12-13-2002, 11:44 AM

my bad about the handling...i misread that..... dont know though, i kinda like having great handling and hp...think about how fast u can go on a turn and not spinout.... plus the bimmer has less bodyroll which is key just in regular daily manuvers that might hav to make
Old 12-13-2002, 11:47 AM
JeT

my bad about the handling...i misread that..... dont know though, i kinda like having great handling and hp...think about how fast u can go on a turn and not spinout.... plus the bimmer has less bodyroll which is key just in regular daily manuvers that might hav to make
If you want great handling, why are you getting the 19's? ...unless you are going to overhaul the whole suspension.
Old 12-13-2002, 12:10 PM
Banned

I have personally converted late model Euro cars from automatics to manual transmissions, and done it for under $1000, and done it in a weekend.

Mechanically, it is usually very simple. The pedal box needs to be swapped out to the manual pedal box with clutch pedal. The clutch master is usually mounted right on the box. You need the line that runs from the box to the slave cylinder on the manual transmission.

You need to get the shifter mechanism - usually not a big deal and comprised of around 3 parts.

Once you get those parts in place, swapping to a manual is not much more difficult than changing a clutch. All the same steps. Take off exhaust. Take off driveshaft. Take off auto trans. Take off auto flywheel. Install manual flywheel, clutch and transmission.

You usually need to get the driveshaft from the manual car (usually different length than the auto driveshaft).

From the electronics side, there usually is very little to do. You usually need to ground the starter lockout (the device that prevents the automatic from starting when it is not in Neutral or Park). You need to hook up the reverse lights. That is usually it.

As to the ECU. Usually, most cars have a separate automatic trans ECU, and the main engine ECU is the same on the stick and the automatic version. Usually. This is something you'd need to check out, though. Either way, the worst thing that happens is you get the ECU from the manual transmission donor car.

It would be important to get the wiring diagram for any car undergoing a conversion to verify what needs to be done.
Old 12-13-2002, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
AHermster,

The C32 is for people who want compromise. The C32 is a daily driver, not a track tool. It's quite obvious that AMG has tuned the car to be more tractable in every day life. If I wanted a track tool, then I could handily buy a Z06. I for one can afford two cars, so if tracking was that important to me, I'd probably have a stripped down Porsche. My father's company leases him a 745i (~300hp). By your reasoning, it is a sports sedan and must have a manual transmission. This analogy is a stretch, but I think you get my reasons behind justifying a C32. Yes, you need handling AND power, but the C32 handling is not terrible enough to make me hate the car. It will make me think about Renntech springs.

What I'm trying to say is, it's hard to have it both ways. The M3 is very civil for such a capable car, but it doesn't have four doors or the civility of the C32. On the extremes, a Bentley is just not going to handle like a 911 GT2. The Bentley is very cushy in ride, the GT2 is jarring.

For your information, I'd take SMG if I was using the M3 just for the track. There's a reason that the 360 Challenge is equipped with the F1 transmission, I needn't explain. For pleasurable driving, the 6-speed wins hands down, I agree. It sounds like your goal is pleasure, not lap times. That being said, your choice in a C320 is questionable from the beginning. I suppose you were coaxed into it by the "low low" price.

I think with your supercharger, springs, shocks, wheels, and BRAKES (please upgrade these), the car will perform to your liking. Everything else above this will be aesthetic. I know people enjoy larger wheels these, but if it's not such a big deal to you, 18" will save a litte unsprung weight (especially considering that upgraded brakes may be heavier).

Last edited by JustinTRW; 12-13-2002 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2002, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
boom? an explanation would be nice....what makes the m3 so much worst? and boom? wat? boom?
Initially, the current M3 had engine reliablity issues.

- BT
Old 12-13-2002, 07:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
now which do u think is better and why? c32 amg or m3 coupe?

honestly i would say the m3 for several reasons....1. its faster 2. 333hp naturally aspirated from a v6 unlike the c32 that is supercharged meaning there is room for improvement liek a turbo or a supercharger on the 333 thats already there. 3. 6 speed is standard 4. m3 looks more intimidating

im gonna make a new forum for this mind boggling question, however, this is very opinionated and everyone is entitled to their opinion....i respect ur thoughts and ideas
1. from a stop, yes. from any speed other than stop, no. 2. the S54B32 engine is already stressed to make 333 hp at the redline adding a s/c or turbo is next to impossible. Also, BMW already admit that the current engine is at the top of the I-6's capability. That's why they used the V8 in their M3 GTR last year and got themself banned for racing this year. 3. personal reference. 4. I AGREE.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:02 PM

Thumbs up

JustinTRW, thank you for that discussion and i respect the c32 a lil bit more because u defined the reason why you like it and justified it with non bull**** data. you are right about me wanting more of a fast aggresive car that is pleasure and beauty.
Old 12-13-2002, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
JustinTRW, thank you for that discussion and i respect the c32 a lil bit more because u defined the reason why you like it and justified it with non bull**** data. you are right about me wanting more of a fast aggresive car that is pleasure and beauty.
Good discussion. What are you thinking of for your C320?
Old 12-13-2002, 10:59 PM

honestly, i really like the car.....first thing is first...ill take ur suggestion and get the 18's instead of 19's. i read up on it and yea the 18's are much better for the overall performance. then im gonna get a quad exhaust, tint out the windows, an intake ecu reprogramming and maybe some pullys and lower it a little bit... as for supercharger and 6speed conversion...i think ill hold off for now unless i get a really good deal....the supercharger that my friend was selling me was no good its for a 4.3 liter v8 so im not gonna mess with that...
Old 12-13-2002, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
yeah...bmw has a manual and also a smg...

but ....

all amg engines are HAND BUILT! one mechanic, one engine. nobody else. that's dedication. (although mb seems to think their auto tranny can shift faster than the average joe.)
Old 12-14-2002, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by steve s
all amg engines are HAND BUILT! one mechanic, one engine. nobody else. that's dedication. (although mb seems to think their auto tranny can shift faster than the average joe.)
AMG engines are no longer built by one person, but by a team of three people. An automatic transmisssion can be made to shift faster than anyone. Such a transmission would not be enjoyable in a street car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c320 6 speed conversion?