C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 Not Starting on First Try

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008 | 03:08 PM

2003 C230 4MAtic
C240 Not Starting on First Try

Got a C240 4Matic, 2003. About half of the time, it takes several trys to get the engine to start. There is nothing or the starter will crank for less than a second. After mulitple attempts, the engine will crank long enough to start. Been to the dealer.

Got the ol, can not duplicate problem. They suggested that it might be rust on the flywheel. Wasted $160 to have them lub it. They have no other ideas. Oh, had the battery changed just becasue its five years old on last service. Also change batteries in key fobs on service advisors advice though I know now that has nothing to do with the starter. Also had one of those valeo radiators that leaks into the transmission. Had the rad. replaced and the tran. flushed a couple of months ago. Yes its out of warrenty!!!!!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2008 | 04:35 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by zep1bk
Got a C240 4Matic, 2003. About half of the time, it takes several trys to get the engine to start. There is nothing or the starter will crank for less than a second. After mulitple attempts, the engine will crank long enough to start. Been to the dealer.

Got the ol, can not duplicate problem. They suggested that it might be rust on the flywheel. Wasted $160 to have them lub it. They have no other ideas. Oh, had the battery changed just becasue its five years old on last service. Also change batteries in key fobs on service advisors advice though I know now that has nothing to do with the starter. Also had one of those valeo radiators that leaks into the transmission. Had the rad. replaced and the tran. flushed a couple of months ago. Yes its out of warrenty!!!!!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

My 2001 C240 would not start if I put the key in and turned it right away. It would only start if I put the key in, waited a second or two for the a noise, then turned it. Seemed like the ignition was talking to the key fob for a second before it would allow the switch to engage.