C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Both turn signals out in mirrors? One source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230K sport
Both turn signals out in mirrors? One source?

Both turn signals in my 05 went out finally. First, the passenger side mirror went out, then the driver's side about 2 weeks later. The passenger side mirror was replaced in Feb., before the factory warranty expired. Oddly enough, the left turn signal does not do the "quick flash" like the right one does.

Working in the tech trade, I've seen multiple symptoms with a root cause and wondered if it might apply in this case. is there a controller or a flasher on-board that might have given up the ghost? Thanks.

oh, and yes i did STFF.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
The quick flash (the exterior lamps flash at the normal rate, only the intrument cluster lamps do double time.) occurs if there is an open circuit. That explains why the right mirror indicates a problem. If the left mirror does not quick flash it might be connected with a partial short. This would allow current to flow in the left mirror circuit, but not through the leds to illuminate.

The LED's on the door mirrors are controlled independently by a door module in each front door. A signal from the front SAM on the CANbus to each door module instructs the controller in the door to flash the lamp. There are no common parts that can cause this problem.

The LED's are connected by a two pin connector that floats in the plastic housing. The connector mates with a connector mounted on the mirror base. The act of installing the housing on the base mates the LED connector. If you have folding mirrors the wire in the base side of the mirror often breaks. If the mirrors don't move the connector mentioned above is a suspect. It lives "outside" and can corrode easily. A good soak in alcohol can clean a dicey connection.

It is a bit hard to describe how to remove the housing, but you must fold the mirror back and insert a pin a notch and release the housing.
The following users liked this post:
Edmar1914 (11-02-2020)
Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 C230K sport
Originally Posted by Moviela
The quick flash (the exterior lamps flash at the normal rate, only the intrument cluster lamps do double time.) occurs if there is an open circuit. That explains why the right mirror indicates a problem. If the left mirror does not quick flash it might be connected with a partial short. This would allow current to flow in the left mirror circuit, but not through the leds to illuminate.

The LED's on the door mirrors are controlled independently by a door module in each front door. A signal from the front SAM on the CANbus to each door module instructs the controller in the door to flash the lamp. There are no common parts that can cause this problem.

The LED's are connected by a two pin connector that floats in the plastic housing. The connector mates with a connector mounted on the mirror base. The act of installing the housing on the base mates the LED connector. If you have folding mirrors the wire in the base side of the mirror often breaks. If the mirrors don't move the connector mentioned above is a suspect. It lives "outside" and can corrode easily. A good soak in alcohol can clean a dicey connection.

It is a bit hard to describe how to remove the housing, but you must fold the mirror back and insert a pin a notch and release the housing.
thanks. i looked it over for a second last night and noticed that the passenger side mirror has more LED's than i thought. the three LED's that line the front part of the strip do not illuminate, but there are two more LED's on the tip of the mirror that do illuminate. i forgot to to look at the driver's side since i was so concerned about the passenger side. to the best of my knowledge, the mirrors are not power folding, although it is my wife's car and i'm always finding new bells and whistles. if i were to replace the LED strip, where is a good place to order one?
The following users liked this post:
Edmar1914 (11-02-2020)