C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

in re: C240 vs. G35...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2002 | 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Tad subjective, ya think?

Originally posted by Jim Banville
NOT! The only "great" item I saw was acceleration.

The "great" V6 engine is LOUD! Wife hated it. The braking is WAY too sensitive. Go to the Infinity forum and read that from several owners of this car. We hated the very small steering wheel.

The engine isn't "anemic". Yes, the car doesn't snap your neck. This has everything to do with the way the COMPUTER allows the engine and trasmission to operate. I got the same "slow" acceleration from the A4, Passat and BMW (all German V6 sedans) I drove before choosing the C240. Once you get going, the computer allows the power to come up very quickly. I have NEVER had trouble flooring the pedal on my C240 while already doing about 70 and passing ANYONE on the interstate in short order. "Small wheels"? Are you saying a 1" difference in wheel size is a big deal? The C240 I own has a suspension that soaks up bumps in the road, but is in no way wallowy like... say, a Cadillac (I've driven those too).

I agree. If you want a cheap interior, bumpy ride, loud engine, overly sensitive brakes, but very good acceleration, get the G35. If you want a nice interior, smooth yet taught ride, smooth engine, good brakes and so-so drag-strip type acceleration, but perfectly decent public street acceleration, get the C240

I do agree that the brakes are sensitive, but things like brake feel take time to get used to. Jumping into a G35 after driving a different car is going to feel different. But 'feel' is something you have to get used to. That said, yes the brakes are sensitive, as are the brakes on the new E-class. But when I said great brakes, I meant the ability to stop the car quickly (that's what brakes do).

I didn't find the engine loud at all. In fact, I thought it very smooth. Yes there was some intake and exhaust roar, but I thought it was 'sporty'. I guess this is subjective as well. What might sound sporty to me, might sound loud to someone else. I think sports sedans should have a sporty sound. I don't classify the C240 as a sports sedan, which is why it doesn't have a lot of engine noise.

I felt the c240 engine anemic, especially with the auto tranny. I think even many people who own the car think so as well, judging by the numerous people who are pushing for the C230 sedan to come back. And when I am talking about engine power, I am talking about throughout the rev range, not just 0-60. I find the 2.6 v6 lacking in midrange, up hills, the tranny constantly requiring harsh double-downshifts. Again, this could be related to driving style as well.

It seems to me that you don't appreciate the characteristics of a true 'sports sedan'...which is fine. You would rather have a cushy ride, and smoother quiet engine than a 'sportier' sounding engine, and a tigher though harsher suspension. And you would probably condemn the arrival of the C230 sedan. I would favor anything bringing the true meaning of a 'sports sedan' to the MB lineup. And yes, if you are familiar with plus sizing and the affect a bigger tire with lower aspect ratio has on a car's handling, there is a BIG difference. Wheel size matched with tire type makes a HUGE handling difference.
Old 12-16-2002 | 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
I've read opinions here by people that have put lowering springs on their MB and didn't notice any worse of a ride. I'd classify suspensions in three rough categories - "harsh"= rides very firm and you feel every bump in the road (example- G35), "firm or taught"= has a firm feel, but also soaks up the bumps in the road, such as where expansion gaps have pushed up a ridge (example- C240) and "soft"= has soft feel and soaks up the bumps (example- Cadillac/large Buicks & Oldsmobiles). I am willing to accept a slightly firmer ride from lowering springs if I can keep most of the "soak up the bumps" aspect at the same time.

I'm assuming that when going to larger wheels, you are going to lower profile tires to keep the same outer circumference, yes? I wouldn't want to throw off my speedometer with other than factory tire outer circumference. I'd say the lower profile tires are the most important aspect of getting better handling (less sidewall flex) than necessarily having a whopping 1" larger wheel. I'd like to see a "blind" test where two sets of the same exact tire (except one set was 16" and the other was 17") were fitted to two identical cars, and the driver was asked to pick out which car had the 1" larger wheel judged by the handling of the car ALONE.
Old 12-16-2002 | 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do agree that the brakes are sensitive, but things like brake feel take time to get used to. Jumping into a G35 after driving a different car is going to feel different. But 'feel' is something you have to get used to. That said, yes the brakes are sensitive, as are the brakes on the new E-class. But when I said great brakes, I meant the ability to stop the car quickly (that's what brakes do).
After we drove the G35, we went one exit up the interstate and drove the E320. Its brakes were NOT overly sensitive like the G's. The brakes on the E were better than those on my C. And I don't think that the OWNERS of G35's complaining about its brakes have just "jumped" into the G.

I don't equate a loud engine or exhaust with "sporty", but apparently those kids putting coffee can mufflers on their Civics do. I want an engine that gives me the acceleration I want without sounding strained, which is what the G35 sounded like.

It seems to me that you don't appreciate the characteristics of a true 'sports sedan'...which is fine. You would rather have a cushy ride,
See my previous post. I think you can have both a taught yet supple suspension. I think someone who has ever had one, which is what I feel I have in my C240, wouldn't be happy with the G35 for very long I drive a car with a "cushy" suspension. It's a company car - '98 Ford Crown Vic. I always felt it handled like Cadillacs I have a driven (soft). Nothing like my MB!

Last edited by Jim Banville; 12-16-2002 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2002 | 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250

I'm assuming that when going to larger wheels, you are going to lower profile tires to keep the same outer circumference, yes? I wouldn't want to throw off my speedometer with other than factory tire outer circumference. I'd say the lower profile tires are the most important aspect of getting better handling (less sidewall flex) than necessarily having a whopping 1" larger wheel. I'd like to see a "blind" test where two sets of the same exact tire (except one set was 16" and the other was 17") were fitted to two identical cars, and the driver was asked to pick out which car had the 1" larger wheel judged by the handling of the car ALONE.
I've done this with a C240 loaner with OEM 16" versus my C320 with 17's and 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 tires and there is a big difference....a "whopping 1 inch" does make a difference.

Jim --- the people that are saying lowering doesn't affect ride quality are the ones that will say the G35 rides/handles great.

but you'll find out for yourself.

I DO think at least the front of the C240/320 needs lowering BTW
Old 12-16-2002 | 03:32 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Come on guys, it all depends on what kind of driving you do as to what car you are going to prefer. I really doubt that all the major car magazines are wrong in their assessment of the G35. Road and track did a shootout style comparison and used a C320 sport which I think finished towards the back of the pack. But they noted that it was the best car for a long trip. A 240 wouldn't even be in the hunt with the cars they were testing. The magazines all noted the same things about the G35 like the brakes being sensitive, interior quality, etc, but still concluded it was a better car for what they like. If you put a 240 against a G35 on a track, or even twisty mountain roads, it would be ugly. But, if you commute, sit in traffic, and use it for daily transportation, the 240 is more comfortable. Even my 230 coupe is quieter and rides better. But that is true with the 3 series BMW also. After test driving a 325i, I decided that I really liked the ride and quietness of my coupe better than the BMW. If I lived in the mountains of North Carolina, I would have something that handles better than my coupe. But here in Atlanta, it is not something I need or even want. Stuff like brakes just take a week to get used to. It took me at least a week to get used to the controls on my coupe compared to my previous vehicle. Now they are 2nd nature. That is why the magazines usually do a week long test- it eliminates the distraction of the "newness factor".
Old 12-16-2002 | 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
I've heard several people mention that a C would ride poorly if it were on 18s. I'd like to totally refute that claim, as even w/ 18s our coupe feels fine (but maybe some of that has to do w/ the excellent Pilot Sport A/S tires)

Also w/ the G35 you can get better reliability, but throw durability out the window...
Old 12-16-2002 | 05:22 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
Andrew,
Cars are throw away items now. Durability past 100,000 miles means almost nothing to anyone buying this class of car. The Infiniti's first tune up is scheduled at 100,000 miles, so if it lasts that long, that is probably good enough for 99% of americans. Are you really going to keep your car more than 5 years and 100,000 miles? Heck, if they are as good as a Lexus, they will last 200,000 miles. I see 150,000 mile Lexus' go through the auction all the time, and still bring decent money. BTW, Atlanta has some of the best roads in the US, so while your 18's are fine here, don't take the car to Michigan
Old 12-16-2002 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audi S4
Good point... the 18s are fine most of the time on reasonable roads - but you hit a pot hole - watch out!
Old 12-16-2002 | 05:41 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
it's all personal opinion. whether you pick G35/skyline or the C-class. They both have similar quality. Some of the interior bit from both car are cheesy and on the other hand some of the bit from both car are very nice.
Old 12-16-2002 | 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've done this with a C240 loaner with OEM 16" versus my C320 with 17's and 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 tires and there is a big difference....a "whopping 1 inch" does make a difference.
No you didn't. You compared tires with different sidewall height and tread width versus one another on cars that aren't identical. You also didn't do it "blind" - not knowing which car had which tires. Compare a set of 205/55/16's to a set of 205/55/17's, same make and compound, on identical cars, without knowing which car has which tire, and then tell me which car has the 16's and which has the 17's.
Old 12-16-2002 | 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Re: Missing the point

Originally posted by autobarn
It seems that some of you are missing the point. The G35 is a great all-around car. Yes there are compromises like the cheap interior (I'm not crazy about it either), but look at what you get. A GREAT v6 engine, more room than just about anything in its class, sharp handling (esp with sports package), great performance (handling, braking, engine is a given), all for in the low 30's. That's why it gets so many accolades. Yes, the ride is harsher than a c240, but it's a "Sports" sedan.

The c240 isn't really a sports sedan...just a nice entry-level luxo sedan. The c240 has compromises as well. An anemic engine, small wheels, the cushy ride becomes a wallowy ride in the curves. So the point is, just choose the car that suits your driving style. I've never seen anyone drive a C class car more than average driving speed, because the drivers of the C are usually more relaxed, cruiser type drivers.
You must have never seen me on the road. Hehe.
Old 12-17-2002 | 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No you didn't. You compared tires with different sidewall height and tread width versus one another on cars that aren't identical. You also didn't do it "blind" - not knowing which car had which tires. Compare a set of 205/55/16's to a set of 205/55/17's, same make and compound, on identical cars, without knowing which car has which tire, and then tell me which car has the 16's and which has the 17's.

geeez...ok fine....I'm telling you there IS a noticeable difference in what I compared !! I'm being honest...but whatever...just find out for yourself.

let me know if you find any decent prices on the Eibachs...$275 at TIRE RACK is about the best I've seen.
Old 12-17-2002 | 08:18 AM

My brother was one of the first people on the reservation list for the G35 Coupe, once the dealer received the beta we were stunned! The exterior looked great, but the interior looked like it came out of a KIA. Grey plastic, you tap on it and it echoes back with its hollow shell! Dealer told us it was a "BETA". Production model should be much better right? First day it arrived at the dealer we went back to look, what we found out, it looked 100%
identical. That day we went to the BMW dealer and picked up the 330CI, with 2.9% APR, couldnt beat that...

Last edited by Tarik; 12-17-2002 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2002 | 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

geeez...ok fine....I'm telling you there IS a noticeable difference in what I compared !! I'm being honest...but whatever...just find out for yourself.
I don't doubt it. I'm sure you did find the wider tires w/ lower profile ratio provided better handling. Just don't say it was that 1" bigger size wheel that made the difference. If you compared a set of 255/40/16's vs. a set of 205/60/17's, made with identical compounds, guess which would give better handling? (Hint- not the 17's)

Jim
Old 12-17-2002 | 09:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
If you compared a set of 255/40/16's vs. a set of 205/60/17's, made with identical compounds, guess which would give better handling? (Hint- not the 17's)

Jim
Why would anyone in their right mind do that, though? The wider tires/lower profile are a result of the plus sizing. Fine, the 1" increase in the wheel allows for more sporty tires, but you're really arguing semantics.

Would it make you happier if Bagwell said that he noticed a difference in handling because of the wheel/tire combo? Geez.
Old 12-17-2002 | 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by Tarik
My brother was one of the first people on the reservation list for the G35 Coupe, once the dealer received the beta we were stunned! The exterior looked great, but the interior looked like it came out of a KIA. Grey plastic, you tap on it and it echoes back with its hollow shell! Dealer told us it was a "BETA". Production model should be much better right? First day it arrived at the dealer we went back to look, what we found out, it looked 100%
identical. That day we went to the BMW dealer and picked up the 330CI, with 2.9% APR, couldnt beat that...
Sounds like the Caddy CTS I test drove -- hideous gray dash and door trim parts in a beige interior -- cheap looking as dirt, IMO. That car will only sell to those who dig it's exterior styling...
Old 12-17-2002 | 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why would anyone in their right mind do that, though? The wider tires/lower profile are a result of the plus sizing. Fine, the 1" increase in the wheel allows for more sporty tires, but you're really arguing semantics.
No. I'm saying that, all other things being equal, there is no relavent difference in handling capabilites between a 16" and 17" tire/wheel combo, which is what has been claimed. Tires with wider tread and lower profiles do give improved handling over tires with narrow tread and tall sidewalls, which is what was proven by Bagwell's experience.
The point is that the C240 was gigged in this thread for having 1" smaller wheels than the G35. Now, going to the Infiniti website I see that the stock G35 sedan comes with P205/65R16 tires, with P215/55R17 as an option, so I guess the whole point was wrong to begin with. In fact, the 205/55/16's that come on the C240 have a lower profile and are "probably" better handling than the stock G35 tires that have the same treadwidth.

Would it make you happier if Bagwell said that he noticed a difference in handling because of the wheel/tire combo? Geez.
It would make me happy if people didn't make generalizations like 17" wheels/tires are "better handling" than 16" wheels/tires. There are TOO MANY variables, such as tread compounds, sidewall height and strength, and tread width.
Old 12-17-2002 | 01:02 PM
Almost a Member!

No. I'm saying that, all other things being equal, there is no relavent difference in handling capabilites between a 16" and 17" tire/wheel combo, which is what has been claimed. Tires with wider tread and lower profiles do give improved handling over tires with narrow tread and tall sidewalls, which is what was proven by Bagwell's experience.
The point is that the C240 was gigged in this thread for having 1" smaller wheels than the G35. Now, going to the Infiniti website I see that the stock G35 sedan comes with P205/65R16 tires, with P215/55R17 as an option, so I guess the whole point was wrong to begin with. In fact, the 205/55/16's that come on the C240 have a lower profile and are "probably" better handling than the stock G35 tires that have the same treadwidth.

It would make me happy if people didn't make generalizations like 17" wheels/tires are "better handling" than 16" wheels/tires. There are TOO MANY variables, such as tread compounds, sidewall height and strength, and tread width.
I think the point being made is that plus sizing a wheel/tire generally produces better handling. Now when I say plus-sizing, I mean increasing the wheel diameter and using tires with lower profile.

I understand your argument saying that a 205/55/17 wheel/tire combo *might not* handle better than a 205/55/16 wheel/tire combo. But proper plus-sizing is increasing the wheel diameter while lowering the profile (to maintain the same overall diameter). So a 205/55/16 wheel/tire +1 would be something like a 215/45/17 wheel/tire combo which would handle better than the stock setup. If you use a 205/55/17 package, it would produce inaccuracies in your speedometer, odometer, cruise control, etc.

Also note, that the Infiniti G35's 205/65/16 tires are V-rated, while the 215/55/17 tires are W-rated. Both are higher performance/speed rated than a C240's H-rated tires.
Old 12-18-2002 | 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

try 15's you'll be able to "soak up more bumps"
Old 12-19-2002 | 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Don't forget - if the tire compound isn't drastically improved by plus sizing, the increase in unsprung weight that often occurs with the bigger wheel is usually somewhat detrimental to handling.

- BT
Old 12-20-2002 | 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trench, don't wake these guys from their stupor! Just keep repeating to yourself, "Bigger wheel means better performance...bigger wheel means better performance...bigger wheel..."
Old 12-20-2002 | 12:27 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
One of the workers in my building (don't know who, yet) just bought a blood red G35 Coupe. Looks GREAT. I'll try to snag some pics, although s/he doesn't drive it every day.
Old 12-20-2002 | 01:17 PM

2002 C230 Coupe
I've seen a lot of G35s on the road. Just like the Toyota Matrix, they look sleak from a distance, but when you get up close, they are bulky IMO.
Old 12-20-2002 | 01:26 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
How can you compare a Matrix with G35? A Matrix looks like something a bunch of pre-school kids drew on the wall with crayons.
Old 12-20-2002 | 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I test drove one of these cars a little while back. The steering wheel is small because it is a sports sedan (this was one of the things I liked about the car). I didn't care for the interior that much, the exterior looks nice, but sitting inside the car I felt like I was driving a bath tub. I'm 6' tall and still thought the car was too big, especially for Infiniti's smallest. You can chalk that one up to it being a Nissan.

From a purely driving standpoint, the engine power was pretty good, brakes were good, handling was good, and steering was direct. I would not rate anything excellent, but I drove my C32 to the dealer, so my results are somewhat skewed I'd still much rather have the BMW (330i), but there is a large cost difference.

The test drive showed me how refined the C32 can be. At full throttle, the car still accelerates more elegantly than the G35 at half.

Verdict: If I had $35k for a new car, I'd consider this vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: in re: C240 vs. G35...