C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A different sales tax question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2002 | 05:11 PM

C230 C-Coupe
A different sales tax question

List, I am negotiating for a new c-coupe and live in California. I might be able to get a good deal in New York through a friend of family.

If I were to buy in New York do you know what the tax issue would be? From an earlier post I understand it is illegal not to buy in a low tax state and not register in your own state.

If I bought in a state with the same sales tax would I have to pay the tax twice?

Appreciate the feedback.

Nathan
Old 01-14-2002 | 05:21 PM
Admin Alumni

See Garage
Call the CA department of motor vehicles (or whatever department you have to visit to register your car), and ask them to explain the procedure. Then, ask the NY dealer about the procedure for buying a car and taking it out of state for registration.

People buy cars from out of state all the time for several different reasons. My bet is you can buy the car in NY without being taxed there (or with a tax waiver), that you then present, along with your sales receipt to your taxing authority in CA and pay your tax obligation in CA. But the first step is calling the CA Dept to ask.
Old 01-14-2002 | 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Some dealers can collect sales tax for neighboring states for you and send them along, and you'd be set. Though CA -- NY is a stretch. I would think that you'd have to pay the NY tax (avoid the higher-taxing jurisdictions), then register it in CA, and get credit for what you pay. But, don't forget that you don't get money back when you pay in a higher-taxing jurisdiction, so look at the NY-CA differential, if you can't do what MB-BOB says about paying no tax in NY (I doubt they're that nice).

Check with BOTH CA and NY, as each state will have its own rules, and often they don't match up, so there's a chance of getting in on both ends. Talk about dp!
Old 01-14-2002 | 06:36 PM

Check with NY and CA mv departments. I think there is some kind of temporary "in transit" registration which would get you around the tax issue.

I don't know how good a deal you can be getting that would justify a 3000 mile drive, unless you were itching to see the country. Some hard bargaining should get you a price of 3% over invoice. Unless you are getting the car at absolute dealer cost, including giving you the 3% holdback, the numbers dont seem to work out. The 3000 miles is a cost of about $1000 when you figure gas, depreciation,travel expenses, etc.

Be glad you are not in CT and have to pay $27 per $1000 of value of the car every year! Cars are taxed at the same rate as a house. So the $30,000 coupe cost $810 in personal property taxes the first year, on top of the sales tax.