C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Need help installing CAW-MB1070

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL203 (2001)
Need help installing CAW-MB1070

Hi, I'm trying to install the kenwood steering wheel interface adapter CAW-MB1070 in my 2002 coupe. Theres just one connector where i can't find the connection point for. It's the ignition switch connector.

I've looked in the mid-console part where the dubbel-din system is installed and I've opened the part under the steering wheel with the female CAN-bus interface connector. Can someone point me in the right direction? Is it maybe in the steering wheel itself?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kobazz; 06-28-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:39 AM

CL203 (2001)
I think it on the ignition switch itself. I can reach the ignition switch box with my hand but not the side where the connections go. Do I need to remove the whole closing under the steering wheel? What do I need to unscrew?

There must be some expert outthere that can help me.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Stop. Halt. Cease. Desist.

Usually when you are installing auto sound equipment, the term "ignition switch" or "switch power" refers to a power line that receives power only when the car is turned on, in part to not drain the battery when not needed, and in part to let the equipment know when to fully activate. This is in contrast to "constant power" sources, which is just a power line from the battery (usually fused, but w/e). Customarily the "constant" power wire colors are yellow, and the "switch" power wires are red.

The easiest place to get switched power from behind the center console is the cigarette lighter power line that is behind the shifter. To get to it, all you need to do is pull up (using a plastic wedge, or, in my case, a Listerine Pocket Pack) on the plastic surrounding the shifter (start from the front, work your way around), then pull up (hard) on the aluminum or wood material (start from the ashtray) and then you'll have access to the wires for the cigarette lighter.

I don't remember which wire it is (there are three: switch power, ground, and one for the light for the lighter). It's one of the thicker two wires, not the brown one (brown is ground in Mercedes cars, as opposed to black), but it's a good idea to check with a voltmeter or multimeter in any case. You need to splice the wires together; there is no way to plug that wire in. You can get snap-in wire splicers at Radioshack; they're blue and they come something like ten to a pack.

Search a bit around the forums for pictures of the removal, and read some about radio installs. It'll help you understand better what you're trying to do. Good luck!

EDIT: Dar, dar. I realized that you're in the Netherlands, so going to Radioshack isn't much of an option for you sorry! A local electronics store should have something along the same lines though.

Last edited by jedcred; 06-28-2008 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:34 AM

CL203 (2001)
@jedcred. Thanks for the reply.

Ok, you're right, but... I'm a little ahead of your explanation.

-The Aftermarket HU is already installed.
-Switched powerwire (black/yellow) is spliced already (not nearby the cigarette lighter, but in the audio console itself.
-Steering wheel interface adapter is also connected expect for one wire.

One of those wires on the SW-interface adapter must communicate with the CAN-bus.

-the blue one goes to the radio (remote control signal)
-the red one already goes to the switched power line
-the black wire goes to ground
-the other thicker black wire doesn't apply in my case. (It's for other audio systems with another remote control input, I use blue wire)

That leaves only the black thick line with the strange connector to it.

I've just felt the ignition switch box with my hand and it indeed has 4 or five connectors on it just like in the picture with "ignition switch" written under it. I think this thick black wire has to tap into the CANbus system through the ignition switch.

What do you think about this?

EDIT:

I've managed to take a pic of the ignition box. That is where the wire must go to.

Need to strip this closing to properly reach the ignitionswitchbox:

To do that i'd have to get instructions.

Last edited by Kobazz; 06-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Unfortunately, I can't help you. The instructions for this product are so crappy, no wonder you're having difficulties.

The only advice I can offer is that I doubt, very much, that you have to disconnect anything involving your ignition to install this product.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 PM

CL203 (2001)
Thanks anyway Jadcred. Just wanted to let you know that the nightmare is over. I've stripped the interior down and conneted the wire to the ignition switch. It works like a charm
Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question

Did you get it figured out?