C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A/C problems need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c230 kompressor SS 6MT & 07 BMW 335i
A/C problems need help

over the weekend, my A/c started blowing pseudo-cold air and then simply gave up blowing only hot air. called the dealer as i am still within the 100,000 mile warranty and was told that i probably needed a recharge, costing $250. Brought the car in to be told that the pulley on the compressor (or a rod connecting the pulley?) had failed and it would cost $645 to repair including labor. They informed me that my warranty would not cover this because it is a "small item" and that if the compressor had failed it would have been covered. I smelled BS and approached the dealer with my issue, which was a waste of time. Now, I am unsure of what to do because if the pulley is broken, it would be cheaper and easier to fix this problem myself but I dont understand why it isnt warrantied. Could anyone chime in here and help me out? Perhaps suggesting a tactic to approach the dealer with or maybe a place i can order the pulley (without paying $275 from dealer)? All i know is that not having A/C during these hot days is a killer and i want to rectify this ASAP. Also, i cant seem to find the pulley to purchase separate from the compressor. thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 PM

2005 C230K
That does sound like BS!!
The pulley just failed on my alternator and the dealer replaced the whole unit because they couldn't locate a replacement pulley. I would suggest going to a different dealer and have them diagnose the problem. Don't mention that you have already been to a different dealership. I would think that this should most definitely be covered under your warranty.

Good luck.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I checked the parts for a 2005 C230 and there's no seperate pulley part for a 2005 C230, it just comes with the compressor. Ironicaly, there is a seperate pulley part for the alternator. So if there's no part to order from MB, how can they just replace that one part unless it's salvage. Check with the parts dept at an MB dealer, they can confirm if this is a seperate part. If it's not, then how can they not replace the entire compressor?

But you must understand how extended warranties work. Dealers are paid a fixed amount of hours at a reduced hourly rate using discounted parts. So in comparision, without a warranty they get to inflate the price of part, the houry rate and how many hours to charge for. So dealer's mechanics absolutely hate doing warranty because they get paid based on billable hours, not hours worked. So if it takes them 2 hours, they would tell you 5 hours in an estimate but the insurance company is not as naive so they only pay them 2 hours so the mechanic, unless he's very hungry for work will send you home without doing anything just to get you out of his workload or find a way to charge you for something that the warranty company won't cover. This is why I never get extended warranties. So what do you do, raise a stink, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Do you have a Bureau of Automotive Repair in your state, a government agency that licenses, inspects and fines repair shops, if so, get them involved but don't tell the dealer, let them be surprise, they will not mess with you again. Do not complain to the dealer's management, waste of time, they pay mechanics the way they do because it lines there pockets. They may give the mechanic a promotion, haha.

Last edited by Buellwinkle; 07-03-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
15' CLS400
Lucky its not a leak somewhere in the evap core like mine! Cost upwards of $2000 to fix. Anyway, thought I'd let everyone know.. last weekend I had mine recharged again (cause it leaks out over 3 months). You don't need a special license to buy the recharge anymore (well not for this type). You can buy 1lb recharge canisters at your local autoparts store for like $10. Since the car has a safety at 1/2lb, when its out you can add a full can making it 1.5lbs. Your still safe here as you wont go over the limit.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:21 AM

My gas sipping C-Class
If the pulley on your compressor failed, the whole compressor needs to be replaced. They do not sell just the pulley.
When my sprag bearing on my alternator went bad, the vibrations/jerking caused my a/c compressor's fail-safe pulley to work, thus rendering my compressor inoperable. Basically, the spokes on the a/c pulley are designed to break, but let the pulley continue to spin, so your belt does not come off. Great for not leaving you stranded, but not great when the whole compressor needs to be replaced, after this happens.
I would get the SA's name and any name of those that you have talked to, then contact corporate MB of America

Scott