C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Flickering of dash lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Flickering of dash lights

So I was sitting in my car in a parking lot tonight talking on the phone and I put the key in ignition position 1. After about 10 seconds, the interior map lights dimmed off and the LCD screen turned off. However about 20 seconds after that, the LCD screen turned back on and every light on my dash gauges would flicker about once per second.

Is this normal? I want to make sure the car stereo guys didn't completely mess up my electronics.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Silver C320
its never happened to me. did you get your audio done at like a local stereo shop?? if so, you made a mistake. never take a $40000+ car with tons of electronic stuff in it to some whack car stereo shop and have a guy that drives a civic, or some other beater, do the work. They're much more likely to screw it up and now you have to go back and complain to them and they could mess your ride up even more. Well... ya live and learn, good luck with trying to get it fixed.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Re: Flickering of dash lights

Originally posted by session
So I was sitting in my car in a parking lot tonight talking on the phone and I put the key in ignition position 1. After about 10 seconds, the interior map lights dimmed off and the LCD screen turned off. However about 20 seconds after that, the LCD screen turned back on and every light on my dash gauges would flicker about once per second.

Is this normal? I want to make sure the car stereo guys didn't completely mess up my electronics.
Yes, it's normal. I've had the same experience in all of the W203/S203 C's that I've driven.

It's because your key is in the ignition. Don't leave it in there for an extended period if you don't have to, as it will drain the battery.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
Thanks Drew. I figured it might be the car trying to alert you to the fact that the key is in the ignition.

As far as my stereo install, give me a little credit. I took my car to a shop recommended to me by DSMIT67, a MB tech at MB of Alexandria. I would never take my car, Civic or MB, to a shop like Best Buy. I know how poor the teenage service is at McDonalds, so you've got to be kidding me if you think I'm going to let teenagers take apart my $30k car.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:32 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
never know that leaving the key in the ignition can do that.

left the key in the ignition once and got out of the car to move other cars on the driveway. When i got behind my car about 20-30 seconds later, the brake light made a single flash. I have no idea why and i couldn't get it to do it again. I had turned off the headlight, put the car in park, and stop the engine. weird.