C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help needed C 230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c230
Help needed C 230

I need a real Mercedes expert or someone who had similar problem to give me advice on this one.
I bought flooded C230, 2006 V6 that needed new engine. Used engine came from junkyard with only 9000 miles on it but the alternator mount was broken. Front lid and oil pan are replaced. While doing that, mechanic figured out that it was water in chambers and he replaced head gasket on the right head. When he put engine back and connected all wires misfire on 2nd cylinder code came on. Engine was running but it was shaking. He checked and replaced spark plug, valve lifters, valves, and injector. Since compression was only 70 pounds he said that the problem must be inside the cylinder. He replaced piston, piston rings and connecting rod. After putting it back together check CEL came back on with same message: misfire on 2nd cylinder. He now stated that the block must be cracked and that the engine is losing compression into oil. I took car away from him and brought it to different mechanic who is still working on it and whom I am trying to help with your opinions.
The second mechanic said that he already noticed few unusual things:
• Engine is shaky but if he continues unplugging cylinders it still works the same way, nothing changes -is this normal?
• He said that he measured 225 pounds compression on the first and third cylinder and 150 on the second one using brand new manual gauge - is this normal? I never heard of 225 pounds of compression on this type of car.
• He thinks that this might be a timing chain issue even-though the first mechanic is denying that he did anything wrong. He also states that if it was the timing issue that all cylinders would misfire, not only the 2nd one. How about this?
• If the block was cracked would it have any other signs such as mixing the fluids, leaks etc?
• Is timing regulated by engine computer? Can it be that the original computer had some water damage and it is causing this but only on one cylinder?
I am really desperate at this point and don’t know what to do. Even if I replace entire engine and put this computer back in, the success is not guaranteed. Of course, when I asked dealer they told me that they would replace engine at this point. It is easy for them when they have cars covered by warranty. I wonder what they would do in my situation. This forum is my last chance and any advice or idea is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
what kind of warranty did you get on the junk yard engine? seems if it was supposed to have been a good engine- you should get your money back. i would quit chasing my tail and just get another complete engine.

also- you said the car was flooded- as in just hydrolocked or it was actually in a flood? are you sure none of the electronics weren't damaged.

all of the electrical problems that could possibly be present- i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have bought the car in the first place. money spent repairing it plus the title/carfax issues- would make resale not worth it in the long run.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 w203,85 w123
Hey Las...U might try to search the forum. I think I've seen a couple threads that had alot of drivers w/misfires. Seems like the majority of them had a vacuum hose that leaked & most of them got it fixed w/a $12 hose. A few had to actually change plugs & wires but it seems like the hose was the main prob w/the misfires. I'd check the forum-you'll be shocked at all the info here!