C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

LEDs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML320 Elegance/'03 C320 4-matic
Originally posted by vadim
Drew, fuses can only be blown if you install resistors of *lower* resistance than those "load equalizers", as that would increase the current - not the other way around.
Oh duh, of course you're right. I was thinking of voltage. Thanks for the correction
Old 12-24-2002, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lars
With the LED bulb output going mostly to the rear, it seems likely that less of the output is coming onto the lens off the reflector. Is there a hot-spot apparent inside the lens, Drew, or does the light appear evenly diffused across the whole surface? It's hard to tell from a CCD camera photo.
There are two slight hotspots in the middle of the lens, however, the reflector is still utilised nicely and the entire brake lamp portion of the lamp is illuminated. The colour is also much more intensely red, as the LEDs are red themselves whereas the incandescent bulbs that are used are clear.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:17 PM
Jens C320

If one of the LED's burn out, does it trigger the "lamp out" warning on the info display?
Old 12-25-2002, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Jens C320
If one of the LED's burn out, does it trigger the "lamp out" warning on the info display?
LEDs never burn out under normal conditions, unlike incandescent bulbs. You can burn them, of course, by applying very high voltage - but this is a purely hypothetical situation in a car.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:54 AM
Jens C320

LEDs never burn out under normal conditions, unlike incandescent bulbs. You can burn them, of course, by applying very high voltage - but this is a purely hypothetical situation in a car.
Yes, I do understand that...but in the case that the LED should burn out, would it trigger a message on the info display? Ever since I've driven cars with "smart displays" I've never checked the lights on a car and let the computer tell me. Before I go ahead and get the LED lights for my C320 Touring (which I hopefully get soon...) I want to know if I should check the rear lights periodically or if I can trust the display.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You are dealing with a double-edged sword here. LEDs draw very little current. Now, this replacement will have numerous LEDs and then you have your load resistor. This resistor will use up most of the current in this scenario.
It will all depend on how close to the edge you are within the tolerance band. On the low side and you could. On the high side you won't because you are moving towards the low side.
Since there are multiple LEDs in the assembly I doubt you would need to be worried and be checking it all the time. LEDs come in different sizes. Therefore you could have an assembly with a whole lot of little ones or you could have one with just a few.
Find out how many LEDs will be in each assembly and evaluate it from there.

Just my $0.02.
Old 12-25-2002, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Jens C320
Yes, I do understand that...but in the case that the LED should burn out...

I want to know if I should check the rear lights periodically or if I can trust the display.
Yes, you should check like once every 50 years or so.
Old 12-25-2002, 05:52 PM
Banned

Yes, you should check like once every 50 years or so.
LOL, I think that I'd agree with that. It is extremely unlikely that the entire LED bulb will crap out. I think that the worse case scenario is that, one LED may dim a little more but not fail completely. Since there are 15 LEDs in all, that will only make a minute/imperceptible difference.

Oh BTW, vadim, since the coupe uses a vertical bulb for the brake lamp, I was thinking that formymercedes.com's Red snake light LEDs may do the trick instead. I bought a couple of these for another purpose and they are similarly bright as the LED bulb's LEDs. Since they're simply LEDs with pre-wired resistors and a two foot long lead, one could somehow wire them into the bulb socket (and load equaliser) and position them into the lamp assembly. This will save you the need to customise a lighting rod.

Last edited by Drew_ML; 12-25-2002 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:45 PM

'06 CLS500
Hey, how's everyone do'n? It's so cool to see how so many of
you all are into LEDs. It looks to me like there are a lot of
people knowledgeable about LEDs.:p :p I could use some
new ideas for use of LEDs.
Old 12-28-2002, 08:28 PM

C32
hey Skids,

I tried to use the search function to search for the instructions for the modification of the lights in the exterior rear view mirror, could you please tell me where you posted the instructions or maybe post it here?
thanks a lot!!
Old 12-29-2002, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
It looks like a LED/light manufacturer needs to design an LED replacement "bulb" that has an outside row of LED's that face towards the reflector, to avoid hot-spotting. Seems fairly simple to do
Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Drew_ML, are you affiliated with formymercedes in any way?
Old 12-29-2002, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally posted by oggle
Drew_ML, are you affiliated with formymercedes in any way?
Heh, nope, absolutely not. Just a very happy repeat customer
Old 12-29-2002, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Banville
It looks like a LED/light manufacturer needs to design an LED replacement "bulb" that has an outside row of LED's that face towards the reflector, to avoid hot-spotting. Seems fairly simple to do
There will still be a hot spot since the LEDs facing backwards will appear brighter than the light that is spread out by the reflector. It's the same thing that happens with an incandescent bulb except that the bulb's filament is not quite as bright.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:28 AM

C200K
Originally posted by Jim Banville
You mean something like this? The guys at www.ledtronics.com does wonders with LEDs.

I think the point of this design is to spread the light better rather than for heat dissipation.

The picture is of a brake/tail.. they also have just brake

Last edited by 3pointedSTAR; 01-05-2003 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:58 AM

C200K
Originally posted by Drew_ML
The load equalisers are specificially designed by the manufacturer of the LED bulbs to complement the bulbs and to dissipate the heat effectively. I would not recommend using some other sort of resistor to achieve the same results.

Surely if you can afford a Mercedes-Benz, you can afford the price of the load equalisers!

Is it just me or do these mass produced resistors ( http://www.liean-gimn.com/products/l/11.htm ) look amazingly like the load equalizers that "are specificially designed by the manufacturer of the LED bulbs to complement the bulbs and to dissipate the heat effectively" ?

Cheers
Old 01-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
Is it just me or do these mass produced resistors ( http://www.liean-gimn.com/products/l/11.htm ) look amazingly like the load equalizers that "are specificially designed by the manufacturer of the LED bulbs to complement the bulbs and to dissipate the heat effectively" ?

Cheers
Yup they look very similar to the pic Vadim posted. As I stated in my previous post I believe it is just salesman talk to a customer thereby justifying his prices. One can find these power resisitors from varying sources. I think the reason Drew calls them 'load equalisers' is because thats what he was told by Jerry at formymercedes. Now I can understand Drew buying them from Jerry because when he bought the LED lights he added the resisitors and the shipping charge probably didn't change that much ($1.00 maybe) if at all. I made a few calls in my town and found that I definitely can find them just as cheap if not cheaper here. And any tax will be less than a shipping and handling charge.
Old 01-06-2003, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR

Cheers
Of course these "load equaizers" *are* mass produced resistors, what else are they? There is no rocket science involved here, everything is very basic, within a high school physics course.