C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Blah someone smudged me :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 12:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
l
Blah someone smudged me :(

Yes I officially have a new decoration on my rear bumper, the black plastic outline of another car's license plate. Guy rear ended me when I slowed down at a stop light Anyway it's not that bad so I'm happy about that. What I'm not happy about is figuring out how to remove the black plastic. Some rubbing with towels + water got some of it off but not all totally. The paint is all still there I believe, just a layer of black plastic stuff over it. Anyone know a good way to get it off? Using my fingernails doesn't totally get it off hehe.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
I would suggest trying WD-40, and a little light rubbing. Automotive stores and hardware stores also sell different types of "gunk" remover, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend a brand.

You may want to try and post this over on the Detailing forum.
Old 12-21-2002, 01:04 AM
Banned

Try some mild cleaner wax - the combo cleaner/wax that you can buy at the hardware store, etc. That should get it off, and give your plate a nice shine!
Old 12-21-2002, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 VW GTI
When that happened to my Civic because an idiot in a van decided to brake going up a hill in the snow, I was extremely pissed. However, I picked up some 3M Fine Abrasive and blotted it on in small areas, rubbing very lightly. It'll come off no problem, then just apply your favorite wax.
Old 12-21-2002, 03:44 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
get some paint thinner. Wash and wax right after you use the paint thinner though.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
smudge removal

Be careful with your MB paint, it's not what it used to be....MUCH thinner and more brittle now. Try using Klasse All In One to remove the smudge. Then polish the rest of the car with it. You'll be amazed at how well it works and how long it lasts.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:32 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 Sport Coupe
Using an automotive paint reducer ( bought at any automotive paint supply store), will remove almost anything, and not hurt the already hardened paint. If this does not work go to an auto parts store and pick up some 2000 grit color sanding paper, sanding with 2000 grit would take a long time to rub through the paint, though will sand anything on the surface off right away. After the 2000 grit paper you will have to buff it up using some Heavy Cut rubbing compound any a terry cloth. Then just go over the area with a sealer/ cleaner wax to seal the surface.

Now the next question is how do you get the guys blood of your car, the guy who hit you that is, and for that question you will have to e-mail OJ
Old 12-22-2002, 03:50 AM
Almost a Member!

l
I would've punched him but I didn't want blood on me when I got to school :-P Anyway I'm gonna try something once I get some spare time. You can't even see the mark from like 8 feet away so I'm not in too much of a hurry. Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Old 12-22-2002, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by MagicianB
I would've punched him but I didn't want blood on me when I got to school :-P Anyway I'm gonna try something once I get some spare time. You can't even see the mark from like 8 feet away so I'm not in too much of a hurry. Thanks for all the suggestions though!
Why isn't he footing the bill for the repairs?
Old 12-22-2002, 02:49 PM
Almost a Member!

l
I just thought it wasn't really worth asking for a few bucks from the guy. I actually should take part blame for it but it really was his fault But anyway yeah, just a hassle to ask for like $20 so I can buy some remover stuff heh.
Old 12-22-2002, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I just thought it wasn't really worth asking for a few bucks from the guy. I actually should take part blame for it but it really was his fault But anyway yeah, just a hassle to ask for like $20 so I can buy some remover stuff heh.
He would probably be delighted to get out of it for only $20. Although not as delighted as getting out of it for free.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:21 PM

2008 E 350
Re: Blah someone smudged me :(

Yes I officially have a new decoration on my rear bumper, the black plastic outline of another car's license plate. Guy rear ended me when I slowed down at a stop light Anyway it's not that bad so I'm happy about that. What I'm not happy about is figuring out how to remove the black plastic. Some rubbing with towels + water got some of it off but not all totally. The paint is all still there I believe, just a layer of black plastic stuff over it. Anyone know a good way to get it off? Using my fingernails doesn't totally get it off hehe.
I had the same exact thing. I slammed into someone and my bumper got all 'smudged' up. Using water and then scratching it with your [long] fingernails will get it off without leaving any damage. Try it. But scratch it hard and profusely not softly.