C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Noise from rear hatch of C320 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Noise from rear hatch of C320 Wagon

I have not yet resorted to riding in the rear compartment but I suspect that my rear door may be the source of soft crunching noises that I hear on turns and bumps at speed. Has anyone similar experience? Is there an adjustment or repair?

Kal
Old 07-28-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 C320 Wagon
I've not heard anything like what I'd describe as a "crunching" noise, but the rear cargo compartment does have it's share of rattles/cluncks from the assorted panels. If we take a vacation and have the rear packed reasonably well, voila - no more noise.

Try removing the two side panels and the floor cover and tray, and then hit your favorite section of bumpy road. If the rattle goes away, you've found your source; if not, you've just narrowed it down some more.

FWIW, the two adjustable door stops on either side of my rear hatch were installed backwards, so the rear door was making more noise than it should. Installing and adjusting them correctly helped quite a bit. Some silicone-based grease on the rubber stops helped out as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 AM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Thanks for the suggestions. Will be on them this weekend.

Kal
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 C Sport
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
I have not yet resorted to riding in the rear compartment but I suspect that my rear door may be the source of soft crunching noises that I hear on turns and bumps at speed. Has anyone similar experience? Is there an adjustment or repair?

Kal
I was having the same sounds in my 2005 sedan. At least I would have described them the exact same way and at the same times, over bumps and on turns. For me they were clearly coming from the rear left side and it turned out the bearings in the axle on the left side had gone bad. Someone told me after I had those replaced that I probably could have just gotten some grease in there and gotten rid of the noise. While that would have saved me some money, it wouldn't have gotten rid of the bad bearings. But I guess if you get some grease or oil in there and the noise goes away you'd then know it was that. Or not if the noise didn't go away

Just a suggestion...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:13 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by venturaII
Try removing the two side panels and the floor cover and tray, and then hit your favorite section of bumpy road. If the rattle goes away, you've found your source; if not, you've just narrowed it down some more.
Bingo. I just did the floor cover and tray and the noise is gone. Now, I need to figure out how to fix them so I can still use them.

Thanks.

Kal
Old 08-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'02 C320 Wagon
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson
Bingo. I just did the floor cover and tray and the noise is gone. Now, I need to figure out how to fix them so I can still use them.

Thanks.

Kal
I'd start by adding some sort of felt strip around the outside of the cover and/or tray, where they sit in the tire well. This ought to help dampen any noise and movement from them.

If you have the Benz Service DVD, do some searching and see if there are any service campaigns listed for this issue - sometime the factory will already have put together a kit just for the purpose you need.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:58 AM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by venturaII
I'd start by adding some sort of felt strip around the outside of the cover and/or tray, where they sit in the tire well. This ought to help dampen any noise and movement from them.

If you have the Benz Service DVD, do some searching and see if there are any service campaigns listed for this issue - sometime the factory will already have put together a kit just for the purpose you need.
Thanks. I will probably start with some artful use of adhesive rubber sealer stripping (in a suitable color) since that is removable and innocuous. I do not have the DVD, so if people here do, I would appreciate their input.

Kal