C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

finally figured out what was wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 c230
finally figured out what was wrong with my car

Took my car to MB Star and they diagnosed it and here is the list of problems.
Main problem was my harnessed which esculated to the rest of the ****s failure. 2 oxygen sensor, harness, camshaft adjuster, air mass sensor, and some sort of cable. Damm car! I guess the oil leaked down the harness and into the sensors.

oh ya, the car had a cylinder misfire, therefore, I could not give my car some serious gas by flooring it or else the car would run in safe mode.

Last edited by Benzino; 07-29-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
The dreaded cam sensor leak.

Hopefully its all covered under warranty. If not, new cam sensors, isolation cables, and a can of electrical contact cleaner is all you need.

If its bad enough to cause your car to misfire, I bet your ECU is coated, and your car has has terrible gas mileage for a long time.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:43 PM

03 c230
Originally Posted by amanonfire
The dreaded cam sensor leak.

Hopefully its all covered under warranty. If not, new cam sensors, isolation cables, and a can of electrical contact cleaner is all you need.

If its bad enough to cause your car to misfire, I bet your ECU is coated, and your car has has terrible gas mileage for a long time.
yep cam sesor leak. No, not under warranty. The Ecu has not been touched by the oil yet. (knock on wood) I was estimated 2k worth of work for my car. I was givien the part # so I can hopefully fine the parts cheaper online. My car misfires at high RPM's and my gas mileage is not great, but bad either.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM

W203
Originally Posted by Benzino
yep cam sesor leak. No, not under warranty. The Ecu has not been touched by the oil yet. (knock on wood) I was estimated 2k worth of work for my car. I was givien the part # so I can hopefully fine the parts cheaper online. My car misfires at high RPM's and my gas mileage is not great, but bad either.
There is a DIY on this site.

Do NOT buy all new sensors until you've cleaned everything! I was able to clean the O2 and MAF sensors, everything is back to normal for only a $6 spray can and a lot of time (plus new cam sensors and isolation wires for $200).

The engine harness is very easy to remove. Take it completely out, soak it in soapy water, rinse it out and let dry for a couple days. Otherwise I know a source where you can buy one for $350.

Same with the O2 sensors, they are available online for ~$100 each. The MAF is $300!

You'll find oil made it to all connectors on that side of the engine harness, including:
ECU
MAF
O2s
TB
oil level
spark plugs
knock sensor
cam sensor
crankshaft position sensor

If you want to spend $2K go nuts, I fixed mine for $206, yet it'll cost you a day or 2 of time.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:24 PM

03 c230
wow, sounds like you went through the same thing I did. I will check out the DYI thread. So are you saying the sensors I have are still good I just need to clean them out?

Do NOT buy all new sensors until you've cleaned everything! I was able to clean the O2 and MAF sensors, everything is back to normal for only a $6 spray can and a lot of time (plus new cam sensors and isolation wires for $200).

The engine harness is very easy to remove. Take it completely out, soak it in soapy water, rinse it out and let dry for a couple days. Otherwise I know a source where you can buy one for $350.

Same with the O2 sensors, they are available online for ~$100 each. The MAF is $300!

You'll find oil made it to all connectors on that side of the engine harness, including:
ECU
MAF
O2s
TB
oil level
spark plugs
knock sensor
cam sensor

If you want to spend $2K go nuts, I fixed mine for $206, yet it'll cost you a day or 2 of time.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM

03 c230

ECU
MAF
O2s
TB
oil level
spark plugs
knock sensor
cam sensor

Hey Buddy did you got my message?
Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM

W203
Originally Posted by Benzino
wow, sounds like you went through the same thing I did. I will check out the DYI thread. So are you saying the sensors I have are still good I just need to clean them out?
Yes. My O2 sensors were fine after cleaning the connector. The connector of the O2 sensors contains the sending unit (ie the electronics). Oil doesn't really damage electronics, it most causes bad connections, and since the O2 and MAF sensors work on sending different voltage levels, they are sensitive to poor connections.

I cleaned my O2 sensor connectors 5 times before oil stopped pouring out of them. I probably wasted an entire can of contact cleaner on those alone.