C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

V6 W203 muffler vs I4 muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s AMG
V6 W203 muffler vs I4 muffler

I really need to tone down my exhaust now! I just replace my secondary cat with a magna flow high flow metallic cat. All I can say is wow what a difference in performance. I should have done this a long time ago! My new problem is my car has gotten alot louder! At idle you still cant even hear my car but at WOT or past 3k rpms I cant stand it.
Here is my set up in order in my 2005 C230 SS auto: Kleemann header, kleeman high flow primary cat (200cell), magnaflow high flow secondary cat (300cell), MB resonator(which i added) and finally MB stock ss muffler. If replace my muffler with a 6cyl oval tip or the new dual tips(amg) would this possibly help. Are those mufflers different. I need a muffler with more baffles and not one that is straight through like most of the after market ones. Also I really dont want to modify my bumper.
YouTube has helped alot but nothing close to my set up.

Pic of new secondary cat. As you can see its a much smaller canister than the stock one which is why I think its producing that extra noise.
Attached Thumbnails V6 W203 muffler vs I4 muffler-magnaflow-cat.bmp  

Last edited by pugguy2001; 08-13-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pugguy2001
I really need to tone down my exhaust now! I just replace my secondary cat with a magna flow high flow metallic cat. All I can say is wow what a difference in performance. I should have done this a long time ago! My new problem is my car has gotten alot louder! At idle you still cant even hear my car but at WOT or past 3k rpms I cant stand it.
Here is my set up in order in my 2005 C230 SS auto: Kleemann header, kleeman high flow primary cat (200cell), magnaflow high flow secondary cat (300cell), MB resonator(which i added) and finally MB stock ss muffler. If replace my muffler with a 6cyl oval tip or the new dual tips(amg) would this possibly help. Are those mufflers different. I need a muffler with more baffles and not one that is straight through like most of the after market ones. Also I really dont want to modify my bumper.
YouTube has helped alot but nothing close to my set up.

Pic of new secondary cat. As you can see its a much smaller canister than the stock one which is why I think its producing that extra noise.
Are you running on OEM piping majority of the way (except for the headers and the cat)? Your car shouldn't be that loud, especially with an added resonator and the OEM muffler.

I'd suggest lining the heat shield with dynamat to see if it keeps out the noise.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by drexappeal
Are you running on OEM piping majority of the way (except for the headers and the cat)? Your car shouldn't be that loud, especially with an added resonator and the OEM muffler.

I'd suggest lining the heat shield with dynamat to see if it keeps out the noise.
Yes everything is still oem piping. The MB resonator that I had installed, I had them put it in the exact some spot as your model, just before the muffler. It fits like a glove and looks factory. The magnaflow cat is the only section they had to add a 3inch piece of pipe to make it meet. I bought the angled one so there was no unwanted bends in the pipe. Magnaflow 59975. After driving all day I realized my car isnt loud, but its the raspy/ricey noise the magnaflow cat gave me. I can definatly feel an improvement, but I really need to change the WOT sound and my 3k rpm and over sound.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pugguy2001
Yes everything is still oem piping. The MB resonator that I had installed, I had them put it in the exact some spot as your model, just before the muffler. It fits like a glove and looks factory. The magnaflow cat is the only section they had to add a 3inch piece of pipe to make it meet. I bought the angled one so there was no unwanted bends in the pipe. Magnaflow 59975. After driving all day I realized my car isnt loud, but its the raspy/ricey noise the magnaflow cat gave me. I can definatly feel an improvement, but I really need to change the WOT sound and my 3k rpm and over sound.
Raspy and Loud are two completely different things. I'll tell you this, if you want it to sound deeper, get an aftermarket muffler. It'll disguise that "raspiness."

I'm almost certain that raspiness is from the secondary high-flow cat. With the Kleemann high flow primary cat (attached to the headers) and now a magnaflow high-flow secondary...yeah, that's what my conclusion would be.