C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

steering wheel controls & horn don't work + horn malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steering wheel controls & horn don't work + horn malfunction

Latest problem is that steering wheel controls do not work or light up, and horn does not honk. In addition, an SRS malfunction is showing up on the LCD which makes me suspect that these problems are related.

the electroluminescent lighting for the steering wheel control button's don't light which makes me believe that they are not receiving an electrical signal and neither is the horn/airbag.

Anyone have this problem before? I've been reading about possible solutions such as a new "clock spring" or wiring spiral.

Please help!

thanks,
Ben
Old 08-26-2008, 11:24 AM

Black 02' C230
maybe...

Its as simple as replacing a fuse

Originally Posted by Rev 2 Liv
Latest problem is that steering wheel controls do not work or light up, and horn does not honk. In addition, an SRS malfunction is showing up on the LCD which makes me suspect that these problems are related.

the electroluminescent lighting for the steering wheel control button's don't light which makes me believe that they are not receiving an electrical signal and neither is the horn/airbag.

Anyone have this problem before? I've been reading about possible solutions such as a new "clock spring" or wiring spiral.

Please help!

thanks,
Ben
Old 08-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 C320
I think if it were just a fuse horn, you won't have problems with the SRS system nor the lights in the steering wheel. Unless those fuses are shot also. What kind of car you have?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by PA_Pete
I think if it were just a fuse horn, you won't have problems with the SRS system nor the lights in the steering wheel. Unless those fuses are shot also. What kind of car you have?
Hi guys,

W203 2001 C320. I've checked all fuses in the rear SAM, drivers side fusebox and front SAM and haven't found anything out of order.

thanks,
ben
Old 08-26-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C230WZ SS Capri Blue/Ash
Sounds like the clock spring to me. Had this happen on my wife's Subaru Forester. The horn and cruise control (which is on the steering wheel) wouldn't work, and the Airbag light would stay on. Replaced it, and now everything's in order. Expensive to replace on a Subaru; I can just imagine how much on a Benz.

Cintoman
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by Cintoman
Sounds like the clock spring to me. Had this happen on my wife's Subaru Forester. The horn and cruise control (which is on the steering wheel) wouldn't work, and the Airbag light would stay on. Replaced it, and now everything's in order. Expensive to replace on a Subaru; I can just imagine how much on a Benz.

Cintoman
Agreed. Exactly the same symptoms for my Jeep. Clock spring. I didn't realize MB used the same design (or do they all??). Located beneath the steering wheel airbag. Not a DIY for the weekend warrior.

edit: I STFF on clock spring. It is almost certainly you problem..........

Last edited by qianlimoro; 08-26-2008 at 12:57 PM.