C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Navigational unit conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 2012 S550
Navigational unit conversion

Quick question. I would like your opinion on two things.

First can you use the Nav unit from the C55 AMG and put in directly into your C230? I assume you need the Nav/Sat antenna along with the unit?

Second these things seem to be rather expensive. Do you think it is worth the swap if you want Nav or to just go buy a Nav unit from pioneer, sony, eclispe etc.?

Do the outside Nav units fit and look nice? Anyone got any pics?
Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/108681-aftermarket-oem-modifications-diy-faq-s.html
Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
Originally Posted by reflex92

First can you use the Nav unit from the C55 AMG and put in directly into your C230? I assume you need the Nav/Sat antenna along with the unit?

Second these things seem to be rather expensive. Do you think it is worth the swap if you want Nav or to just go buy a Nav unit from pioneer, sony, eclispe etc.?

With a 2005 C230, you would need to get a newer COMAND (since the internal communication system for the car changed from 2004 to 2005), so it will tend to be more expensive.

In terms of features, I'd say go with an aftermarket product; save for certain integration features, such as steering wheel buttons, they're much better. I'd usually recommend Pioneer (since I really like their product and a steering wheel button adapter is available for Pioneer products and the w203), but their latest-generation nav units seem to be having issues with long (1-3 minute long) startup times, which is not particularly acceptable, IMO.

The other thing is phone integration; to integrate a phone, you need the harness+bluetooth puck, which could run you upwards of $500, as opposed to integrated bluetooth on nearly on aftermarket nav models.

With the proper dash kit, the aftermarket nav units look pretty good; not as good as stock, but definitely not out-of-place either.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by reflex92

The parts are a direct swap but it will require programming. If the C55 has the Harmon/Kardon sound package, and you dont, then the fibre configuration won't match, and the comand probably won't boot up in your car, until you get it reprogrammed via stardiagnose from the dealer.

Either way, if you want navigation instructions to show up in your cluster, you're going to need programming. I'm not sure but I don't think that aftermarket nav unit will give you instructions in your cluster.