C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Blinking headlights 2005 C230K coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2008 | 04:14 PM

2005 C230K coupe
Question Blinking headlights 2005 C230K coupe

Done some searching and have found nothing on this problem at all, so I think I'm lucky enough to have something really interesting going on here!

Car is equipped with factory bi-xenons, from the factory. Its a Canadian vehicle, so the headlights are on all the time (daytime running lights). While driving at night, and its dark enough to notice the behavior of the lights I notice them blink off and almost instantaneously come back on. It is the xenons for sure, as I can see that quick bright flash as they re-ignite. What triggers the blink is where things now start to defy explanation. It seems to coincide with movement of the pedals, i.e. let my foot off the gas, or more often when I press the brake or clutch. Repeatedly pressing any of the pedals does not make the blinking keep happening - some time and driving must go by before it happens again. I've owned the car for about 6 weeks, and there has been about a two week period where everything was fine and I didn't notice any blinking, but its happening again now.

The blinking does not coincide with hitting bumps, so I do not believe it to be related to any sort of loose connection. It does seem to be somehow related to the car's electronics, which most likely go beyond my understanding of how a "typical" headlight system works.

Any suggestions or guidance on this bizarreness would be appreciated before I bite the bullet and head to the dealer (no more warranty ).

Thanks!
KP
Old 09-21-2008 | 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
it could be that the factory didn’t set the car computer up right. there is a setting that has to be changed when you have bix. are you sure the car came with the bix from the factory? a prior owner could have changed the headlights to bix. the wired thing is that it should have a bulb out warning. i would say that you might have to take it to the dealer. i had some problems with my headlights and i unpluged the headlights and pluged them back in and have never had the problem again so you could try that. the ballest could be dying which will cost a lot from the dealer but i have seen some on ebay before and it should be easy enough to do. well good luck please tell us what happens. oh btw gard those headlights with your life the 2004.5 and up coupe bix are worth their weight in gold so be carefull.

Last edited by samaritrey; 09-21-2008 at 09:26 PM.