C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Injen Filter for 2005 C230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Injen Filter for 2005 C230

Hey guys. I wanted to ask if anyone heard/knows anything about the Injen Air Filter for a M271 C230k SS (2005).

I've noticed one here: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...24X1011BR.html

It looks like the stock filter would be removed, with this going towards the front of the car (replacing the duct). Or does this go where the stock filter is inside the box?

Ultimately, I'd really like to make my car sound more aggressive without having to spend >$500. I think the stock exhaust does a pretty decent job (and there's no resonator to delete/replace).

It looks like the 2 main options are this filter, which I've never heard about, and the K&N, which most people say doesn't do much to improve sound for our specific model.
If this Injen goes at the front, I'm assuming it may be able to provide a more audible sound. Not sure how inefficient it will be though if I have to replace the air duct for this (Would have to have someone fabricate a heat shield?).

Currently, all I've done for sound is take out the grids in the intake box, which doesn't do much.

If anyone has any info/advice on this Injen please fill me in. Seems like the K&N would be a "safer" alternative, but if I can get a better sound with an Injen at the mouth (withouth sacrificing performance/reliability) then I'd consider going this route.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
Injen is a reputable brand, but their effectiveness is on Japanese cars. 8-13 hp to the wheels with a Injen intake on a B18 is some ****!

buy it and let us know how it is, it might be something great
Old 10-17-2008, 05:30 PM

I may try it. It's a little cheaper than the K&N, and at least there is the element of surprise :-D

I had an Injen intake kit on my old '93 SC 400. With no other mods that car purred just to my liking. I know I can't expect that on a 4-cyl, but it may be worth a shot to improve the car's sound.

The picture looked a little shorter than the K&N. Not sure if it replaces the mouth or goes in the air box. Will see what happens I guess!
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM

I checked out the inside of the car to consider an Injen replacing the mouth.

An Injen w/ a heatshield will run about $100. It seems like the mouth that connects to the permanent air duct will be fairly easy to remove. What would it run to have a shop fabricate a box around this? (If that's the case, would it be better to not purchase the heatshield?)

The Injen seems like it will fit on the end of the cloth-like intake tube (3 inch diameter, I think). Not sure how I could properly seal the injen off from the engine heat and really take advantage of the air duct.

Any ideas? (F.Y.I. - I've searched most of the board and I understand that there can't be much done to the M271. If I can bump up the sound though without losing performance / hurting my car, I'd be happy. If this will hurt my car, please let me know!)

Last edited by reddog093; 10-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:54 PM

I sucked it up and took the K&N for now. Next summer i'll try getting more creative with a custom enclosure.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
01' C32o
i was actually waiting to see you try this out, but i didn't visit for a few days and the thread dropped to the bottom. but when you do work on that custom enclosure let us know!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mu9enx
i was actually waiting to see you try this out, but i didn't visit for a few days and the thread dropped to the bottom. but when you do work on that custom enclosure let us know!
Thanks. The main reason i'm curious about the Injen is b/c I haven't heard it mentioned yet. Not sure if it would help with a different sound.

It seems like there'd only be 2 options for the injen, as it doesn't appear to go in the intake box itself (more of a filter for a DIY CAI?).
I'd probably have to have it custom sealed attached to the inlet on the grille.
I don't know much about cars yet, but it may be possible to mount it closer to the intake box and then have a custom tube seal it and attach it to the inlet.

I'm in the process of picking up Kleemann headers. After tax season I'll have a lot more time to actually try and do something myself, instead of of paying a shop for the labor hours on a process that may or may not work. I figure the K&N would be good for now, since it's an OEM replacement.

After tax season I'm going to buy the injen and go from there. It's only $50. If there is a sound improvement I'll proceed further into an enclosure. Worst case scenario I sell it on ebay.

Then again, I'm very impulsive. If I fall in love with the headers, I may go ahead and try this out much sooner. I'm going to talk to my guy when he puts in the headers and see what he would consider, as I haven't discussed much with him yet. His shop specializes in forced induction cars, so he may have some options.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM

W203 Kompressor 6spd SS, Audi B5 S4
yes, please try it out and let us know how it goes! thanks! I'm thinking about trying it out myself...pretty curious about it.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203 C230SS
i don't see how on earth that would actually work w/o coming with the long metal CAI tube they normally come with. seems like that would do right on top of the screened inlet where the airbox attaches to. that just doesn't make sense.

like mu9enx said- they are a sport compact brand. that's what's been on my focus since day 1. good quality and good price- but not too sure about that piece in this particular case.