C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rear Camera for MCS-II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Question Rear Camera for MCS-II

So I recently retro fitted a COMAND MCS-II into my car. I can confirm that it is completely plug and play. No star programming nothing I plugged everything in and everything worked!

Anyways, I noticed that when I shift into reverse the screen goes blank. When I originally bought the COMAND unit the guy had a one liner in the description that it was ready for a rear camera.

How can I go about installing a rear camera? Anyone have experience with this?

My car is a 2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan with a COMAND MCS-II retrofit.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Triple.Sevens; 11-06-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens
I can confirm that it is completely plug and play. No star programming nothing I plugged everything in and everything worked!
You lucked out in the fact that your fiber ring configuration matched that of the seller exactly. If it was any different (ie you had a cd changer and he didnt, etc etc) you would have needed programming. Also, I bet you don't have navigation instructions showing up in your cluster display.

Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens
Anyways, I noticed that when I shift into reverse the screen goes blank. When I originally bought the COMAND unit the guy had a one liner in the description that it was ready for a rear camera.

How can I go about installing a rear camera? Anyone have experience with this?
I've never heard of a c-class with an oem rear view camera, so I doubt this is an oem setup. He may have an aftermarket video input installed inside the comand, that trips when you put it in reverse. There are a few different companies out there that make these, for instance www.allinterface.com. You should ask the seller for more details as there are numerous aftermarket solutions and each one is a custom setup.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Thanks for the reply. I'll see what I can dig up about that backup camera.

Luckily a friend of mine works at a certified Mercedes shop so I'll ask him about the Star programming. Although I'm not sure what I can do with it through that tiny display in my console. But I gotta have more accessories!