C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C240 Brake Fluid Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Exclamation C240 Brake Fluid Woes

Hi Everyone,

Any help or information on my problem would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a 2002 Black C240 last November in Pennsylvania. Since, then I have relocated to Portland, Oregon. The car currently has about 3800 miles on it, mostly due to driving across the country. Okay, so here's my problem:

My brake fluid keeps disappearing! At about 3300 miles (end of December 2001), the dash display informed me that I had low brake fluid, and to visit the workshop. I took the car to the local MB dealer, who inspected the undercarriage, brakes, and brake lines and couldn't find anything. They re-filled the brake fluid compartment which they said was low, and below the Minimum fill line. They suggested that the brake fluid was never properly filled to begin with.

So it is now the middle of January, and the car has been driven minimally. Yesterday afternoon, while driving, the brake fluid warning came on again. I visually inspected the brake fluid level in the compartment under the hood, and discovered it was again low, and below the minimum line. I'm taking the car into the dealer today.

I park the car under a covered spot, and I have not noticed any fluid on the ground which leads me to believe the fluid is being leaked out when the car is running. But that also leaves me doubtful, because it has been driven so little since the last dealer visit, and it concerns me that the car could go through so much fluid in only 500 miles. Anyone have any similiar problems, or ideas about what might be the cause?

Oh, and by the way, if anyone is thinking about driving a new, BLACK, Mercedes across the country in the dead of winter, forget about it. On my journey out to the west coast I ended up with a broken fog lamp lens, paint chipped, a chipped windshield, someone egged my car at some skank Travelodge in Iowa that left permanent chips above the driver door on the roof (they also egged my partner's Jag S-Type, which is silver and came out unscathed). I had everything repaired upon my arrival, but nonetheless, OY!
Old 01-18-2002, 08:27 AM

A theory about the disappearing fluid that would not show as a visible leak.....

If the fluid is leaking out the actuator rod of the master cylinder and being drawn into the vacuum booster for the brakes it would be burned when it gets to the engine and would not show up as a leak. This is a long-shot but maybe worth a look.

Also, that really is a shame about the damage to your car(s) but unfortunately there are not separate roads for those of us who truly care about our cars and their appearance. I would be willing to pay for them, but that is only wishful thinking on my part.

Good luck with figuring out the problem.

John R.
Old 01-18-2002, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C240
You were right jnjrowland......

The car has a main cylinder assembly and another part that needs to be replaced. Part isn't available in the US, so I have to wait for the Stuttgart crew to ship one over I'm actually really happy the service team at my dealer solved the problem so I don't have to keep taking the car in.
Old 01-19-2002, 09:10 AM

Ehtan great to hear the somewhat "good" news in that there is a relatively simple fix for your problem.

The last time I had seen something like this was a long time ago when I was a mechanic at an Oldsmobile dealer. I happened on a 1979 Olds '98.

Good luck with the fix and I hope it does not take too long.

John R.