C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Starter

Can anyone recommend a reputable place in Boston area to buy/install the Remote Starter for a 2002 C320?

Thanks,
Old 01-16-2003, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
I dont think you can get a remote start on the car because of the rolling code laser encrypted key. But I could be wrong
Old 01-16-2003, 09:57 AM

Re: Remote Starter

Originally posted by spongebob
Can anyone recommend a reputable place in Boston area to buy/install the Remote Starter for a 2002 C320?

Thanks,
I don't think so!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:27 AM

How does the rolling code laser encrypted keys work if my wife and I alternate using our keys?
Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
i think this is how they work.Mercedes-Benz has an ignition key so complicated it requires its own set of instructions The electronic key has no steel shank with serrated edges like a normal key. It's a black plastic triangle with a half-inch stub that slips into a slot where the ignition switch normally is.Twisting the electronic key in the conventional manner sends a signal that starts the engine, if the computer recognizes the code from the key.The computer assigns a new code each time. The rotating-code security system is used by others; such as BMW. Mercedes' innovation is packaging it without a steel key so potential thieves have nothing to copy.
You can also use that conventional key to lock valuables inside the glove box and trunk then keep that key when you hand over the electronic ignition key to the valet.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
K40 manufactures remote starters, although I do not know how they would function on a Benz.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:52 AM

Thanks Timmy.

That doesn't exactly answer my question.

Let's say:

1) I drive the car, then park it and pocket my key.
2) My wife drives the car, using her own key.

Now her key will work fine, even though it hasn't been updated with the rolling code laser encrypted key.

Trending Topics

Old 01-16-2003, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
Originally posted by Smiles
Thanks Timmy.

That doesn't exactly answer my question.

Let's say:

1) I drive the car, then park it and pocket my key.
2) My wife drives the car, using her own key.

Now her key will work fine, even though it hasn't been updated with the rolling code laser encrypted key.
your key is #1
wifes key is #2 ( for simplicity reasons for the rest of this post)

You put in key 1, when you start up the car with that key the next code will be saved on that key and in the computer somewhere. You stop car and put 1 in your pocket. You leave with your wife and she say's here honey use my key(2). Well the last time she used it a seperate code(that was to be used on the next startup) was stored on the key and in the car. You put in key 2 and the key sends a signal to the computer with that code, engine starts, and a new code is produced and stored on the key 2, and that same code is also stored in the computer. Same thing with key 1 as well.

I tried to explane it as best I could. there are many on t board that know more about it than me, but thats the general way it works.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:06 AM

OK. That makes more sense.

Is there a code saved for the valet key, too?

So... I guess you really can't put a remote starter on a C-class. That's too bad.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
I don't know about a valet key. I dont have one.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:33 PM

C240
Installing a remote Starter on any Benz with the new keys can be done. There are shops in NY & NJ , that have done it already. Since it is so complicated the cost will be high as well, but it can be done if you find the right installer to do it.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I think to bypass the security key you have to buy another key to be mounted near the ignition switch in the dash. That way the computer will get the signal from it and start the car. The computer need the signal to start the car, so without a key nearby it will not start. But that makes the car hotwireable as well.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:12 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
You're kidding right ?

The key does not start the engine by just being merely "nearby".
It has to be inserted and communicates via IR.

Originally posted by mctwin2kman
I think to bypass the security key you have to buy another key to be mounted near the ignition switch in the dash. That way the computer will get the signal from it and start the car. The computer need the signal to start the car, so without a key nearby it will not start. But that makes the car hotwireable as well.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
You are right the key does not start the engine by being nearby. But if you have ever installed a remote starter on any vehicle with a security feature on it which I have you would know you have to bypass that security feature. On GM's with that resistor in the key we have to measure the resistance of the key and then put a resistor in line with the igition wires to compensate and trick it into thinking the key is in the ignition. So to trick the Benz you have to have a key close by the switch or in it to make the starter spin and trick the computer. Without it it will just sit there and the starter will never turn. You can power as much of the ignition switch as you want but without bypassing that security that the key provides the car will not start. By doing this it bypasses the security and allows the two ignition wires to be crossed and the starter to run, so there goes all that security of needing the key to start the car thus making it so any dumb crook can steal it. I got heated seats to eliminate the need to pre-warm the car.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I got heated seats to eliminate the need to pre-warm the car.
Seriously...this car heats up so fast that it's only cold for 2-3 minutes before heat starts coming out of the vents. I don't have heated seats and it's still not so bad that I would have to preheat the car. A block heater will cut the warmup time down to almost nothing and cost much less.

BTW: It hasn't been above 32 degrees here in days.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:19 PM

yup, that's exactly how my the other car audi a4 security system work. the computer assigns diff codes for ur key and a spare key.., if u lose ur key, either u use ur valet key to make one but MB (audi...whatever) need all ur personal security information in order to make another key for u....if ur car got broken in and ur lock is damanged, u'll either get a new part with laser cut to original key pattern or u get another new laser cut key with new lock...........

basically the german car security sys is really complicated and sometimes it's annoying....

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
your key is #1
wifes key is #2 ( for simplicity reasons for the rest of this post)

You put in key 1, when you start up the car with that key the next code will be saved on that key and in the computer somewhere. You stop car and put 1 in your pocket. You leave with your wife and she say's here honey use my key(2). Well the last time she used it a seperate code(that was to be used on the next startup) was stored on the key and in the car. You put in key 2 and the key sends a signal to the computer with that code, engine starts, and a new code is produced and stored on the key 2, and that same code is also stored in the computer. Same thing with key 1 as well.

I tried to explane it as best I could. there are many on t board that know more about it than me, but thats the general way it works.