C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Washer nozzle hack?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Washer nozzle hack?

Anyone try to replace their nozzles with ones that spray with a fan pattern versus the 4 streams? It bewilders me that my american made SUVs (wife's cars) all have this but my former M3 nope, the Mercedes - nada.

I don't know what would fit, would it work with the pump that is there etc.

Sometimes the streams are so useless I prefer to use the headlight washers to overspray onto the windshield

Peet
Old 01-17-2003, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic
On some cars, I hate the 4 streams, but on my car, it doesn't work too bad, as long as you have them aimed right. You just have to spray more so there is plenty of water and it runs down the blade. Then the blade drags it all across the window. Doesn't bother me too much.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:54 AM
taylor192

Re: Washer nozzle hack?

Originally posted by peet
Anyone try to replace their nozzles with ones that spray with a fan pattern versus the 4 streams? It bewilders me that my american made SUVs (wife's cars) all have this but my former M3 nope, the Mercedes - nada.

Sometimes the streams are so useless I prefer to use the headlight washers to overspray onto the windshield

Peet
How about something simplier, like putting a very thing piece of plastic/metal/whatever vertically across the middle of the hole of each of the 4 streams... this should spread the 4 streams out quite a bit... I agree this would be a nice feature... maybe I'll look at it tonight.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
What if you squeeze the nozzle with some pliers to deform the circular nozzle opening into an oval?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
could you get a fine piece of mesh and put over the holes, to make it spread more?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:27 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto

Peet
i find the MB washer nozzles to be very effective. unless u wanna do it for cosmetic reason why bother? now if u can cure the squeaky/annoying wiper blades with stupid rain-sensing that'd be productive.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:46 PM

Porsche Cayenne Turbo, 360 C.S.
talking about that, i got the message of low washer liquid so i just pourred a gallon of the blue stuff but now it seems as if the force of the spray went down, before the mixture was like soapy and smelled a bit like alcohol and it would spray really hard on the headlights and windshield but not anymore with the blue stuff. anyone know what i should do??
Old 01-17-2003, 01:06 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by CANTOEVO
talking about that, i got the message of low washer liquid so i just pourred a gallon of the blue stuff but now it seems as if the force of the spray went down, before the mixture was like soapy and smelled a bit like alcohol and it would spray really hard on the headlights and windshield but not anymore with the blue stuff. anyone know what i should do??
The tank in the C-class hold a gallon? I let mine go down to where it took me 2 litres to refill it, but never got a warning indicator... I was kinda worried there wasn't one cause I burnt out the pump in my last car when I did let it get too low.

The mesh idea sounds good timmy but the problem would be it'd cause the sprap to spread more veritically and horizontally, which would suck as you'd get spray up ono the top of the car and all over the hood... but a mesh with only vertical bars would spread the stream horizontally, the desired effect.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by taylor192
The tank in the C-class hold a gallon? I let mine go down to where it took me 2 litres to refill it, but never got a warning indicator... I was kinda worried there wasn't one cause I burnt out the pump in my last car when I did let it get too low.
if you have headlight washers it holds 6 quarts.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Re: Re: Washer nozzle hack?

Originally posted by tberry
now if u can cure the squeaky/annoying wiper blades with stupid rain-sensing that'd be productive.
The dealer cured mine by replacing the wiper blades. To my amazement, it worked!
Old 01-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
The smell and soapiness of your previous windshield mixture was from an additive that's called Summer Wash. You can get it from the dealer's parts department for about $10.00 if I recall. It does really well at keeping your windows clean and loosening up bugs and stuff. It comes in a small vile type container with the mixture ratio in parts to ml. Basically, just add 1 vile per 1 gallon of the blue stuff. Also, the Summer Wash additive has a tendency to remove Zaino wax (not really wax, but a polymer), so FYI.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

Anyone try to replace their nozzles with ones that spray with a fan pattern versus the 4 streams? Peet
I concur. The problem that I might forsee here is that the MBs are heated nozzles. The replacement spray pattern ones would therefore also have to be heated (I had those freeze up in winter on other cars). With our computerized cars, recognizing things, I would think that some additional mods, due to possible current draw differences, might also be involved. It would be nice so.

Just my $0.02
Old 01-17-2003, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Re: Re: Washer nozzle hack?

Originally posted by amdeutsch
I concur. The problem that I might forsee here is that the MBs are heated nozzles. The replacement spray pattern ones would therefore also have to be heated.
The nozzles are not heated, just the washer fluid is heated.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Re: Re: Re: Washer nozzle hack?

Originally posted by Matt230K
The nozzles are not heated, just the washer fluid is heated.
Ok, your turn to educate me further.
On my sedan I have wires running up under the hood to a place that looks like them. Now, if we have snow, ice, etc, and the nozzles freeze because of the residual moisture within them how do you propose that heated washer fluid will dislodge this blockage within the nozzles. A heater, for all practical purpose, is a large resistor. Now based on the fluid volume available this would cause a huge drain on the battery. Unless of course the heater is not active when the car is shut off or otherwise we would most likely experience a battery drain issue as some of this membership have reported. Where would the sensor be located to detect the freezing condition within the nozzles, lines, tank? Which one has priority? Help all of us out on this one please.

P.S.
Most washer fluid is stable down to cold temps. Unless you put straight water in it of course. Therefore it doesn't make any sense for the tank to be heated.

Last edited by amdeutsch; 01-17-2003 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Well, you may be right that the nozzles are heated if there are wires going to it, I'm not really sure about that. I assumed not, because I know that the fluid is heated. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think how it works is, there are lines from the radiator that flow through the washer bottle and keep the fluid warm. I'd have to take a look to see how it really works.

BTW, I didn't check yet on the dyno mode thing. It was a busy day today. It snowed about 4 inches yesterday and they called in some trucks to plow the lot. So I spent the entire day starting cars and cleaning them off and then moving them so the plows could clear and salt where they were parked. I will try to remember to check on this.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Well, you may be right that the nozzles are heated if there are wires going to it, I'm not really sure about that. I assumed not, because I know that the fluid is heated. I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think how it works is, there are lines from the radiator that flow through the washer bottle and keep the fluid warm. I'd have to take a look to see how it really works.

BTW, I didn't check yet on the dyno mode thing. It was a busy day today. It snowed about 4 inches yesterday and they called in some trucks to plow the lot. So I spent the entire day starting cars and cleaning them off and then moving them so the plows could clear and salt where they were parked. I will try to remember to check on this.
Thanx,

All of us 03 owners are anxiously awaiting your findings. Keep us educated and on the straight and level.
One word to the wise if I may. With as few techs we got on here we might try to abuse your generosity. (j/k) Nah, we would never do that. LOL
Old 01-17-2003, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by amdeutsch
Thanx,

All of us 03 owners are anxiously awaiting your findings. Keep us educated and on the straight and level.
One word to the wise if I may. With as few techs we got on here we might try to abuse your generosity. (j/k) Nah, we would never do that. LOL
I might just be a lot tech, but I can usually get some info from some real MB techs if needed. Some of them are dumber than rocks, but we have some good ones that know their stuff. But they still only seem to know the stuff that they have to. Even our best techs are clueless on this dyno mode kinda stuff and about aftermarket stuff. They just know what they have been taught by MB.

But I will help as much as I can. The only problem is that once I get working and get busy, I forget easily about stuff I am supposed to find out for this forum. It is the last thing on my mind when I get busy. It seems like everything happens at once. Cars need to be moved and then trucks come in with new cars all at the same time. I can't wait to get out of school and move on.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I know. Just kiddin' you. Everything you do to help the membership is really appreciated. I guess we can call that a form of 'insider trading'. Your cool. Thanx.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:37 PM

thanks BOS.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:28 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
thanks BOS.
You're welcome man... shiney side up!
Old 01-18-2003, 11:00 AM
taylor192

The tank has to be heated, in -20+C lately the washer fluid looks like stream when it hits the air, if just the nozzles were heated there's no way the fluid could reach a temp to do that by just flowing past the nozzle.

The nozzle may be heated, but they don't need to be if the tank is heated... ever had a sump pump hose frozen? we usually just pump hot water down the hose until the blockage becomes unfrozen... same could apply, but I doubt MB would do that, I bet they are heated.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
taylor, I know the tank is heated. That's what I said. But amdeutsch said he had wires running to his nozzles. So while the heated fluid might be enough to thaw any blockage, it may also have heated nozzles. But I'm not sure.