C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Coupe Short Shift Kit - Any Interest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Bos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
Coupe Short Shift Kit - Any Interest

I just talked to UUC Motorwerks (http://www.uucmotorwerks.com) to inquire about the availability of a short shift kit for the Coupe. I know these guys through a friend of mine who had a 318ti. He and the rest of the club members worked with UUC to have one made for their cars, and it worked out great! UUC stated they've been toying with the idea of one for the Coupe, but really need a car to look at to check clearances etc.

According to Rob at UUC, the process is that they order a stock shifter, take a look at a stock car for clearance, then begin the design / development process. Once complete, they of course will check and ensure that everything works correctly etc. So, having said that, if anyone is interested in making this happen (besides myself) here’s what we need to do:

Problem: Get the part number for a stock shifter and give it to Rob at UUC.

Solution: This shouldn’t be a big deal to accomplish, and I’d be more than willing to get this, or maybe “mbtech208” can help.

Problem: Somebody in the NJ area needs to go by UUC so they can look at the shift box, console clearance, etc.

Solution: I believe “young” is in the NJ area, or maybe somebody else can assist in this area.

Once this is completed, and if UUC is able to make one, we could go in on a group purchase (I already told Rob I could probably find a 100 people willing to buy one ;-). The current price for a UUC shifter that fits a 3 series (I’m assuming similar costs) is $195.00, so ours shouldn’t be much more. If anyone is interested please respond to this post. By the way, I’m not affiliated with UUC in any way, just a fellow enthusiast!
Old 01-18-2002, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Bos, that's only about 30 miles south of me. I'd be interested in doing it. BTW: I've got the c7 pkg. According to several sources, though, the c7 has a shorter shifter. But, I could always go smaller. My crx has a short shift kit from C's that I love, and this one from UUC might improve the feel of the manny.

So, if you need someone, it wouldn't be a big deal for me. Also, when I was looking at ti's myself, everyone kept talking about UUC's quality, so I'm sure that they'd be able to do a good job. I'd even let them use my car as a test mule, as this is a mod that would be really nice.

Would I get a gold star for this?
Old 01-18-2002, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tommy
Would I get a gold star for this?
Yup, and we'll all pitch in and buy you dinner at the Bell.

If UUC can make a shorter throw shifter than the C7 shifter, and if it has a better feel, I have the $200.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Exclamation You just said the magic word!

Hell, I didn't know that Taco Bell was at stake. Where do I sign up?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:17 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
Tommy / Young… Sorry to get you two confused, my apologies (which one of you is the chalupa freak again??? ;-), but thanks for the positive support of this endeavor! You too Lynn!

As to whether C7 includes a short shifter or not, only time will tell. Without rehashing the past information from “renncpe”, and the conflicting information from MB marketing, suffice it to say that I’m not convinced that C7 includes a short throw shifter. My stance is obviously that it doesn’t, but as part of this process hopefully we can put that argument to bed.

As I said, I’ll be glad to gather the part information and I’ll specifically ask for both standard and C7 information. The Service Manager at my MB dealer owes my one as it is, so I’ll milk it for all it’s worth. I should be able to do this on Monday, and will post the information here for all to dispute, confirm, or otherwise flame me in any other way they feel necessary. Once that’s done, we should be able give UUC the accurate information so they can order the proper part(s). Once again, thanks for all your help, and hopefully we can make this happen.
Old 01-18-2002, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
hmmm...it's only about 16 miles from me....
Old 01-18-2002, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I spent an hour test drivng a regular six speed, and now own a C7 car. It is definitely a shorter throw. But if UUC can do better, I'll buy.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2002, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Rick
hmmm...it's only about 16 miles from me....
Good, another victim...uh,,,,volunteer
Old 01-19-2002, 03:10 AM

MB C180
It would also be nice if they could try to make one for the C-class sedans... not only for the coupe. Please keep us informed.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Almost a Member!

C320 Coupe
Post Sedan

I have a 6 speed sedan. I would also be interested if they could make one. I live in NJ too.