C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

matte black grille and chipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by paypaboi
did you guys take the silver part off of the black backing support of the grille? because as I was sanding just the silver part of the OEM grille im starting to wonder if this is stainless steel and not plastic because on stainless steel when you sand it you can't sand it down but it only gets scratched up like it is doing....if this is stainless steel (just the silver part) not the backing then indeed you would be able to powdercoat it no?
it's chromed plastic.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
03 W203, 13 E350, 13 W204, 14 C218
Originally Posted by FrankW
it's chromed plastic.
oh
Old 06-05-2009, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
Originally Posted by pawe
I did the painting myself and it only costs 20 bucks.
the materials that I used are: coarse and fine grit sandpapers, self etching primer, black primer, acrylic enamel, clear acrylic (any recommendations for a good aerosol clear coat?).

I sanded the chrome with an 80 grit till the shine disappeared and all you can see are scratches (do the sanding in a circular motion to promote more adhesion for the primer). After scuffing, I washed it with a degreaser, air dried it and wiped a tack cloth to get the dust off.
Then, I sprayed 2 coats of self etching primer and waited 30 mins before coating it with black primer (2 coats). Then, I wet sanded the primer with a fine grit just to even out the surface. after that, I top coated it with 3 coats of acrylic enamel.

*Im still thinking of coating it with clear acrylic because I want the dull finish of the flat black enamel. I probably will when I see that it doesnt hold up well on rock chips.

** I saw an epoxy paint in an aerosol can at home depot and I think that would be more durable than acrylic enamel. If the Enamel wont hold up then Ill probably have to try the epoxy primer and epoxy top coat route.

***Im not sure which primer is best for painting over chrome, but I also saw an adhesion promoter and a self etching primer and I went with the latter.

**** Sorry I wasnt able to provide pictures of the step by step procedure, I was in a hurry to maximize the perfect day outside.
Well first off, i have a 01 C320, pre-facelift grill (4 silver painted fins with the chrome slates). I want to paint the silver painted fins, not the chrome. Should I do the same process as mentioned above?? I have no chrome to get rid of, only the painted slates.
Do i still have to sand it down? prime it? what kind of paint, ect. should i be using to try to get it look like the stock c32 grill? Obviously whats the best thing to be using to avoid rock chips?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A box on 4 wheels
Originally Posted by BlackLiquorish8
powercoat +
Still chips.