C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

bluetooth hands free and Sat Nav issues with command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Obsidian Black C180 Kompressor - Elegance with Sports Pack
bluetooth hands free and Sat Nav issues with command

Hi All,

Need your help and advice.

I recently installed a European Sat Nav unit in my 2005 C180K and everything is working fine except the 1) bluetooth unit and 2) Sat Nav disc.

1) I tried the Bluetooth unit in My Dad's C180 kompressor with the standard radio and it worked perfectly so I know the Bluetooth unit works. When I try to use it in my car the Command Sat Nav unit does not respond to the bluetooth unit.

2) I recently purchased a 2008 Sat Nav DVD. I went through the steps to install the DVD.
I pressed the Sat Nav button, "Insert DVD" came up on the screen so I did so and all looked to be working ok. After about 10 seconds of the unit trying to read the disc "Insert DVD" appeared on the screen again.

Has this happen to anyone before? Does my unit need to be calabrated as it's not the original headunit, for everything to work properly? I know that this is the case in order for the sat Nav directions appear in the instrument cluster.

btw. I live in Australia not USA.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
Did your car come prewired for cell phone? You may need version coding. If you have a menu option in your cluster that says "No Phone" then you already have the coding.

Second steop, look up the fuses used for phone and check those fuses.

As for the nav issue, this is just a thought, but you might need a seperate update to your nav if you went straight from an older disc to a newer one without hitting all the discs in between. Ask your dealer to update your nav firmware to the latest available.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 PM

2005 Obsidian Black C180 Kompressor - Elegance with Sports Pack
Thanks for your help.

My car did come prewired for a cell phone but I didn't even think to check the fuses.
As for the Sat Nav, it's a 2004 car and 2008 disc so I will probable need to get the latest firmware update like you said. Is a dealer the only place to get this or is there an update that can be downloaded and burnt on a DVD???
Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan (W203)
I don't think you can download the update. You can have the dealer do it, or, if you can get the right info and find out exactly what disc you need, you can just order the disc yourself (I think they're about $10).

Hopefully acr2001 will chime in, I think he knows more about the update discs than me.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by nickgailloux
I don't think you can download the update. You can have the dealer do it, or, if you can get the right info and find out exactly what disc you need, you can just order the disc yourself (I think they're about $10).

Hopefully acr2001 will chime in, I think he knows more about the update discs than me.
I'm not sure about the Nav DVD issue. Nav updates and Head Unit updates are completely different (the nav unit is inside the head unit with the W203). The head unit upgrade CDs go into the music CD slot and update ONLY the head unit software, not the navigation unit.

When you get a new Nav DVD it should automatically apply the updates to the navigation unit when you insert it (they are built into the nav DVD). Sounds like you have the wrong Nav DVD for that unit. If it is a US Comand unit and you are trying to insert a DVD for your country then that explains the problem.

As for the phone issue, I found out the hard way that even if your vehicle is prewired and says "No Phone" on the instrument cluster you could still require version coding. Your cluster is obviously coded already (as it has the "No Phone" menu) but if the MOST fiber ring connected to your Comand unit is turned off then it must be version coded first to turn it on (the Comand unit controls the MOST loop).This holds true if your Comand unit had NO factory audio accessories (CD changer, phone, satellite radio...etc) connected to it originally. Without atleast 1 accessory connected the fiber loop isn't actually a loop, it's broken because there is nothing connecting it. Because of that MB sets the head unit (Comand or Audio 20, etc) so that the MOST loop is turned OFF completely. You will need someone with Star Diagnose to turn it on basically.

Anotherwords, if your new Comand unit was set so that the MOST loop is off in the car it came from, then it will not recognize any audio accessories connected to the fiber loop in your car until it is recoded - even if it worked with your original radio (because the original radio was coded for it).

Last edited by acr2001; 03-05-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:33 AM

SL
Heres afew helpfull links with information on Bluetooth phone system pairing and downloading phone book.
http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogsp...h-pairing.html
http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogsp...2009/03/1.html
http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogsp...y-pairing.html
http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogsp...comand-or.html
http://mercedes-benzbluetooth.blogsp...ap-cradle.html

Hopefully this helps, as it helped me!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Mrsl500
Just a bit of a caution - these instructions are for the W204 and some are for the SAP module. The W203 works a bit differently, although probably not far off.