C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Positive camber after lowered springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
Unhappy Positive camber after lowered springs

Hrmm, for the past few months I've been trying to figure out why my car pulls to the left so much, and I mean ALOT. I've had the alighment checked numerous times, changed wheels, changed tyres... but I overlooked one thing... the camber!

I got it checked and found that my front left wheel has a positive camber while the right has a nice negative camber... (the driver sits on the right so I never really get to see the left side of the car hehehe )

Anyways I got the spring taken out and put back in again, but still the same...I went to MB to see if I could get the camber bolts, they knew nothing of it but told me to get the part number... I got fustrated and filed the mount on the right shock inwards about 3mm... now it's slightly negative, but not as negative as the left side... there is no more leeway for further sanding... I guess now I'll have to sand the mount on the left shock OUTwards to increase the camber... hrmmm what hassles... first camber problem I've encountered... ever

By the way it's a C200K sedan with APEX springs specifically for this model, rear camber is fine... I wonder what went wrong.

oh yea, I have to ditch my 10mm spacers and lathe another... I seem to have gotten the inner hub diameter off by fractions of an inch... severe chassis shaking over 120KM/H.... comes and goes... I'm sure it's the rears cuz the steering wheel doesn't shake.

Last edited by 3pointedSTAR; 01-28-2003 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
Having done several spring installs on W203s this year, I really can't see how you could have positive camber after putting in lowering springs Also, I think filing out the center mounting hole was not a the right way to fix your problem. The first thing I would have tried would have been to swap the springs left and right to see if the problem follows the spring?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:56 PM

C200K
Originally posted by KWiK
Having done several spring installs on W203s this year, I really can't see how you could have positive camber after putting in lowering springs Also, I think filing out the center mounting hole was not a the right way to fix your problem. The first thing I would have tried would have been to swap the springs left and right to see if the problem follows the spring?
good idea, i'll try it this weekend
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 PM

C200K
Well keeping in mind the fact that Thailand does not have a product liability law, even if the problem followed the spring I can't just return it or swap it... I'll either have to make do with back yard mods, or buy a whole new set.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
Well keeping in mind the fact that Thailand does not have a product liability law, even if the problem followed the spring I can't just return it or swap it... I'll either have to make do with back yard mods, or buy a whole new set.
If it turns out to be one of the springs, I would just buy another set from another manufacturer.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:56 PM

C200K
If it turns out to be one of the springs, I would just buy another set from another manufacturer.
so left and right front springs are interchangable right?
Old 01-28-2003, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 3pointedSTAR
so left and right front springs are interchangable right?
Yes.