C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Another C230K transmission replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
Another C230K transmission replacement

MB of Escondido replaced the manual transmission in my 2002 C230K. Here are the details:

15 October 2002 @ 9445 miles – took car in to fix broken cup holder and jammed CD player. Also mentioned that transmission is hard to put in first gear, especially when cold and hard to shift into second gear.

MB Action – diagnosis was “binding”. Adjusted oil level per tech bulletin, road tested. Then removed shift lever and checked for binding. Found linkage dry. Cleaned and lubed and adjusted shift cable.

Result - minor improvement; still very difficult to get into first when stopped for a light. Still clunks when you don’t shift “just right” between first and second.

25 January 2003 @ 11763 miles – took car in for A service. Also repeated the above complaints; no improvement in transmission since last visit.

MB Action – check fluid level and adjust. Test drive and adjust shifter linkage, still hard to shift into second gear. R&R (remove and replace?) shifter lever to inspect. R&R transmission to replace with exchange unit. Fill with oil.

Result – my wife and I have driven about 100 miles with the new transmission and it seems much better. There is no problem getting the car into gear at a light. Synchro action between first and second is better but still not good as a ’99 New Beetle or my old ’72 2002 BMW (long gone). We’ll wait to see if it gets any better with age.

Two other points worth mentioning: I did not have to rant and rave to get this replacement, I just described the problem. They had the car for 6 days and the cost to MB was $4500.

Dave
Old 02-03-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 Coupe
Glad to hear you got prompt server.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:27 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 C230K
was that a problem with the C7 shifter?
and if not, did u try to make them switch it over to te C7 shifter??
Old 02-03-2003, 08:18 PM

How was the service?
What did you think of the dealership?
Did you get a loaner?
Old 02-04-2003, 01:28 PM

2002 C230K
Benzwiz - I already have the C7 shifter; there's no problem with that. It was all with the transmission.

Lockbuster - I am pretty satisfied with the service at MB of Escondido. I'd give them a 7 out of 10 possible. They did give me a loner - a '00 C230K sedan (W202). Very substantial, but not as much fun to drive as the coupe. 4 doors were nice on occaision. So was the auto tranny after fighting with my manual for a year.

Dave
Old 01-23-2004, 06:17 AM

2002 C230
I had one of the worst experiences at Mercedes Benz of Escondido. I have a 02 C230 (non C7) so I called the dealership to get my black door handles replaced w/ white ones. So I called the parts department and they ordered white door handles (driver & passenger side), no problem. The guy told me that they would have them in about a week, so I was fine with that. A week roles by, I get a phone call from the MB of Escondido letting me know that the parts have come in so I set up an appointment. My service advisor told me that it would cost about $140 (for parts and labor). I was pretty hyped about that, $140 was a real bargain!!

Well, I drop my car off (Tuesday morning) and wait a while for my loaner. A guy at the loaner desk tells me that they ran out of loaner vehicles and they have to rent from Hertz. So guess what vehicle they give me, a FORD TAURUS!! I was like “wtf”!! So I thought you know, I should have my car back by the end of the day, so I was fine with the Taurus. I get a call from my service advisor in the afternoon saying that the factory shipped the wrong parts (one white handle & one white handle w/ a chrome strip). Then he says that he’ll have the correct part the next day (Wednesday). So the next day comes along and I get another phone call, it was my service advisor saying AGAIN that the factory shipped the wrong item (this time a black door handle). Then I was promised that they would have it straightened out the next day (Thursday). Next day comes along and they finally get the correct part (white handle), but now he says that the small IR piece came in black only and that it can only be painted to color match my car, and that I would have to pay an additional $140 to get it painted. I was like “BULL****”. First they stick me with a FORD TAURUS, waste my time, and then tell me that I have to pay extra for something they messed up on!!

I told them to forget it and to leave my car alone. Then my service advisor told me that they had already put one of the handles on and if I wanted my blacks ones back, I would have to pay for them to take it off. So he basically said that I was going to be charged for the install ($40) and to take them off ($40), which came out to $80. I argued with the guy telling him that he shouldn’t have put them on in the first place (because they were the wrong parts) and that I shouldn’t have been charged anything. My service advisor insisted that I pay for the labor. He said, “Most people would dish out the $140 and not think anything of it”. I felt that that comment was rude and uncalled for. First off, I’m not any other person and second, I know when I’m getting jacked. So I asked for his manager. So I gave my story to the manager and his manager sided with me and took all charges off of my bill. I was really pissed that he said that but didn’t bring it up w/ his boss because I just wanted to get the hell out of there (that’s how frustrated I was).

I’m gonna contact Steve to see if he can get me the door handles.