C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Service A - Just do it myself?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by AzCamel
nothing can go wrong if your not an idiot (sorry for people that have messed it up )
i've notice that alot of people with german cars or higher end cars are scared about things they should not be, saying that its not a honda. Well tell me the differenc between removing a bolt on a honda oil pan and removing a bolt on a mercedes oil pan? anyone?
do it yourself, learn something, and save some money.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
I don't think its a matter of being intimidated by the car (at least its not for me)

It's more a matter of not giving the stealership any chance to deny a warranty claim.

$415... WOW... And let me guess... there's a reason that the indy can't do it isn't there? I had an indy tell me that they couldn't align the car because its a Mercedes...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Well tell me the differenc between removing a bolt on a honda oil pan and removing a bolt on a mercedes oil pan? anyone?
The main difference is that you never need to remove a bolt on a Mercedes oil pan if you do your oil changes properly.

I do think that worrying about the impact on the warranty is a valid concern. Dealerships being *****s about everything shouldn't be encouraged, but at the same time, I wouldn't want to have to pay legal fees just to get them to honor my warranty. Luckily, I bought my car was still in the free maintenance period, so I didn't have to think about it, but I would think twice about doing my oil changes while within the factory warranty period on a new Benz (though I don't think I'll ever have to worry about that again - I'm one and done with this marque). And, being a tightwad, probably do the oil changes myself anyway.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by kslater00
I had my transmission flushed on my last A service at 37k. cost was $414.58. a service was 283 because i opted for wiper blade replacement as they were streaky. They also took care of a squeak issue i had and replaced my cup holder for the second time because i complained of the chrome strip peeling. Getting close to end of warranty so i bring it in for the mini gripes for them to fix while it is still free.

Kenny Slater
2007 Black/black C230WZ
i didn't know that the warranty covers the cup holder chrome?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 C230 sport
Originally Posted by mgbrillo
i didn't know that the warranty covers the cup holder chrome?

Yes it does up to 4yrs or 50k. I am trying to figure out what i can do to prevent it from peeling. Now i service my car at Mercedes of San Diego and they really take care of u there. Everytime I go there I am given the impression that they really do care about my silly gripes and never blow me off. I bought 4 new tires last week and had it aligned at Mb and the car is pretty much perfect now. Everything is expensive at the dealer and I agree. But i cant complain because i did my homework before signing for it and knew exactly what I was getting into. So far its been great if they keep it up i might give em this c230 back for a 09 c300 once the 2010 is on the lot, should get a better price dont yah think?

Kenny Slater
Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230 and 1985 Monte SS
I had my cupholder replaced because the chrome was chipped too.

I just talked to my SA who said that it will not void my warranty if I keep the receipts to the oil and filter. I also talked to parts, and they said that the fleece filter is sitll in use...

This was Valley Motors in Cockeysville.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 57 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
They've never charged a diagnostic fee before, and I have complained about the same thing and they just said they couldn't duplicate it and charged me nothing.

I'll ask about the trans flush, but isn't that a lifetime fluid?

Good advice on the "oil change" versus "service A". I'll give that a shot and see what they say.
Absolutely NOT a lifetime fill especially on the 7G. In fact, if you read your manual under required service, your 07, requires transmission service (Filter and fluid change), at 38K. I had mine done ~35K and it was right around $400. The only approved fluid for the 7G is the MB fluid, which runs around $20/L, and you need at least 5 for a fluid change, so just the fluid is half of the charge. Another ~$50 for filter, and misc bits required on the 7G.

nothing can go wrong if your not an idiot (sorry for people that have messed it up )
i've notice that alot of people with german cars or higher end cars are scared about things they should not be, saying that its not a honda. Well tell me the differenc between removing a bolt on a honda oil pan and removing a bolt on a mercedes oil pan? anyone?
Obviously, you have never looked at the MB 7G transmission which is widely used on most MB today. It has no dipstick, and is filled from the BOTTOM of the pan using a special machine and a special fitting. As well, as the level is checked via the Mercedes STAR diagnostics system. There is an overflow tube in the bottom of the pan. Once you fill through bottom of the pan through the special fitting, you start the car. As the trans temp warms up, trans fluid level will raise, going out the overflow tube. Once the STAR shows the correct temperature, you stop the engine and put the plug back in the fitting in the pan.

Can this be done by a competent DIY person? Of course, but you have to buy the correct fitting (Assenmacher Specialty Tools, makes one), use an accurate device to measure trans temp, and be very meticulous in your steps.

By the way, I bought the correct Assenmacher tools, and have a fluke thermometer, and will post a DIY article here when my 7G requires another change.

See this post for a technical white paper all about the 7G: https://mbworld.org/forums/2725947-post4.html
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
10 GLK350/ 15 Accord/ 94 Supra Turbo
i was talking about oil change, as per the topic. service A/B, i dont think i see them changings the trans fuild unless requested. Im talking about basic weekend garage warrior type thing, things i honest think a man should know how to do. Since your talking about transmission fuild then sure, if its that big of a pain in the butt then take it to the dealer but some people cant change their own cabin filter, air filter, or basic oil change (old school way, easier with the pump). thats all im saying, do the basic no brainer stuff yourself, save some money.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Ya, I mean oil change what can go wrong for it to void warranty? If you use correct oil and Mercedes Oil filter and you dump out 8.5 q and fill 8.5 quarts what's going to happen for the dealer to deny your warranty?

Nothing, all you have to do is use approved MB oil and MB oil filter.

But tranny since I'm a novice I will let the dealer take care of that.

I guess it's what people feel more comfortable with. I honestly feel perfectly comfortable saving money and doing my own oil change. I think there will be no issue whatso ever.

Pump out old oil from dipstick (8.0 - 8.5).
Remove old oil filter
Replace with new oil filter
Fill new oil

Oil= Mobile 0-40 synthetic
Oil Filter = Dealer or K&N Mann (but I will go with dealer)

So from this simple task what might make the dealer void your warranty?

Anyone????

As for the Indy saying they can't align it because its Mercedes that's bull on their end.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jk062602kj
Ya, I mean oil change what can go wrong for it to void warranty? If you use correct oil and Mercedes Oil filter and you dump out 8.5 q and fill 8.5 quarts what's going to happen for the dealer to deny your warranty?

Nothing, all you have to do is use approved MB oil and MB oil filter.

But tranny since I'm a novice I will let the dealer take care of that.

I guess it's what people feel more comfortable with. I honestly feel perfectly comfortable saving money and doing my own oil change. I think there will be no issue whatso ever.

Pump out old oil from dipstick (8.0 - 8.5).
Remove old oil filter
Replace with new oil filter
Fill new oil

Oil= Mobile 0-40 synthetic
Oil Filter = Dealer or K&N Mann (but I will go with dealer)

So from this simple task what might make the dealer void your warranty?

Anyone????

As for the Indy saying they can't align it because its Mercedes that's bull on their end.
I can't think of any good reason for them to deny the claim, just save the receipts.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
All of my car's services are done at non-Mercedes places. The alignment/brakes/tires are done at an indy and the oil and filter changes are done by a local Nissan dealership - I just supply the oil and filter. Same tech does it every time and I watch. It's a breeze for him, takes 15 minutes and costs $65 total for oil/filter and labor.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
All of my car's services are done at non-Mercedes places. The alignment/brakes/tires are done at an indy and the oil and filter changes are done by a local Nissan dealership - I just supply the oil and filter. Same tech does it every time and I watch. It's a breeze for him, takes 15 minutes and costs $65 total for oil/filter and labor.
65 bucks that's well worth it
Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Where do you get the oil so cheap?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

i was talking about oil change, as per the topic. service A/B, i dont think i see them changings the trans fuild unless requested. Im talking about basic weekend garage warrior type thing, things i honest think a man should know how to do. Since your talking about transmission fuild then sure, if its that big of a pain in the butt then take it to the dealer but some people cant change their own cabin filter, air filter, or basic oil change (old school way, easier with the pump). thats all im saying, do the basic no brainer stuff yourself, save some money.
Gotcha. Thought you were talking about the transmission, based on your "removing the bolt on the oil pan" comment, since the easiest and recommended method to drain the engine oil is by suction Sorry, the highly technical side of my brain was working overtime on my previous post.

Now, your post above, I agree with 100%. Doing your own oil changes, cabin filter changes, and air filter changes is easy and can save a lot of money. In fact, the MB is so easy to do an oil change with a pump, I actually look forward to, and enjoy oil changes on it. I used to hate to drag out the ramps, crawl under the car, etc. Now, I stick the suction tube in the dipstick, turn on the pump, crack a beer, and watch the pump do all the work
Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
I don't think its a matter of being intimidated by the car (at least its not for me)

It's more a matter of not giving the stealership any chance to deny a warranty claim.

$415... WOW... And let me guess... there's a reason that the indy can't do it isn't there? I had an indy tell me that they couldn't align the car because its a Mercedes...
As others have pointed out, there is nothing you can do on a Service A/B to make the dealership deny warranty as long as you follow the required service intervals, and use only fluids and filters spelled out in the recommended products book.

Though, I admit I had a little bit of that same intimidation about warranty, that I had the dealer do the transmission service. I was also so busy at the time, there was no way I could spare the time to do it myself.

As for the comment about alignment, the only thing out of the norm that a Mercedes needs for alignment is a "spreader bar". Other than that, to alignment is just as straightforward as any other vehicle.

For the transmission, see my post above. As long as the independent uses MB fluid and has an accurate way to measure trans fluid temp, they can do the transmission service. Though, as I posted above, the trans fluid is so damn expensive, an independent might not be much lower priced then the dealer.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
whhhatt 65 dollars my oil alone cost that much
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well my last receipt for 6 quarts of Mobil-1 0W-40 fully synthetic euro car formula was $41.88 at a local Autozone. As all of you probably know, the fleece filter is no longer available for the M271 - so a filter is $9. Labor is $15 at the Nissan dealer. The tech that does it said he worked on German cars at a previous job and I have no reason to doubt it judging by how familiar he immediately was with my car. I watch each time but they do a great job for me.

I had my car aligned recently at a local place that has always serviced my cars tire/brake needs. They had all the necessary tools and gave me the print-out showing pre- and final readings and sure enough the pull my car had was gone. That cost me $39.

The same place also does my brakes. I will pay $69 for OEM pads on getmercedesparts.com and installation is $40 for them, a fluid flush is an additional $40 (I provide MB fluids). That includes a resurface of the front rotors if I wish, but the front rotors are 50k miles old so I should probably just replace them.

You all pay too much for maintenance.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
does the C230 only take 6 quarts?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No it takes 10, I have just been putting in 6 and hoping it wouldn't notice.. /sarcasm

It takes 5.8 quarts.

Last edited by LILBENZ230; 05-07-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C350 Sport 6MT
lucky, mine takes 8.5
Old 05-07-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah I see that the C320 and C240 take 7.9. That explains the difference in pricing on oils.