C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Temperature Affects CD Changer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Temperature Affects CD Changer?

I've finally gotten a new HU, new fibre optics cable, and a new CD Changer and guess what? This morning when I started up, I got the no CD Changer message again.

I don't recall what the manual says but would cold temperatures as low as +2 degrees Celsius, but no lower, cause your HU to throw out a "NO CD CHANGER" message? And when this happens, there's NO power to the changer, thus I cannot even eject the magazine.

That's what the dealer told me this time when I drove the car back. They insisted that the didn't have any problems when they tested the car overnight in their supposedly very warm underground lot. That's why they suggested to try to put the car in the rooftop lot so they can see if temperature does play a role.

So, has anyone experienced a NO CD CHANGER message having no power to the CD Changer to their car in temperatures no lower than 2 degrees Celsius?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:16 PM

No problem like that here

I have my vechile parked outdoors and the temps here have been below 0 degrees F and the CD has worked just fine regardless of the temperature.

Sounds like a very bogus argument they are making.

JR
Old 02-06-2003, 12:19 PM

2002 C240
what type of cds in the changer

may be a silly question, but what type of cd's are you putting in the magazine?
Old 02-06-2003, 12:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
Big Sheesh, I had the same problem. First, I got a NO MAGAZINE message, and MB replaced my changer. A day later I got the NO CD CHANGER message so MB replaced that changer as well. They told me that they don't know why they kept dying. It's been fine since then.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:18 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
don't want to jinx it, but my cd changer worked fine after being parked at ski hills in -10C -15C-ish
Old 02-06-2003, 01:42 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
I'm using burned CD's but that's not an issue. It's not like the CD changer is not detecting the CD's. If that were the case, then it's b/c I'm using burned CD's.

The problem is there's NO CD CHANGER detected and there's NO power to the CD Changer, therefore I can't even eject the magazine.

Sheesh, I don't know what to do!
Old 02-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Sheeshster, it's the changer. As jnrowland suggests, his operates fine below 0 F, which is several degrees -0 C. Mine also works just fine at 20 degrees F this morning, which is also well below freezing C (=32 degrees F).

The excuses these dumbass dealers use just floor me...
Old 02-06-2003, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Since everything else has been eliminated...how about the main processor. If I understand the CAN
bus/fiber optics correctly a signal is sent over it to the main processor, deciphered, then displayed. The fact that it doesn't 'see' the changer despite all the path up to and including the changer being replaced......
Old 02-06-2003, 02:14 PM

C32 AMG
I get the same problem once in a while. Sometimes I shut the engine off and restart and that works. The changer usually works after I park and get back in my car. I just don't have the time to take it in.

B
Old 02-06-2003, 05:07 PM

2002 C320 Sport Wagon
Originally posted by Big Sheesh
The problem is there's NO CD CHANGER detected and there's NO power to the CD Changer, therefore I can't even eject the magazine.
That really sounds like a power problem. Does the eject button illuminated when pressed?
Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
When working normally, there is an illuminated green light on the eject button. But in my case, no green light is present when the NO CD CHANGER message is displayed.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:36 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
"Mr. Service Manager, yes, it's me... I'm back. My friends at MBWorld.org tell me that their CD changers work in all weather conditions... In short, and with all due respect, we think your answer is BS... How soon can you replace my CD unit with another new unit that works... or a third unit... or fourth?"
Old 02-07-2003, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Temperature Affects CD Changer?

I've finally gotten a new HU, new fibre optics cable, and a new CD Changer and guess what? This morning when I started up, I got the no CD Changer message again.

I don't recall what the manual says but would cold temperatures as low as +2 degrees Celsius, but no lower, cause your HU to throw out a "NO CD CHANGER" message? And when this happens, there's NO power to the changer, thus I cannot even eject the magazine.
Sounds like they need to add the CD changer to the fibre optic loop...I think its called 'resetting the loop". Do a search for some of the early self installs on the CD changers...several folks had problems similar to yours.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:12 AM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Re: Re: Temperature Affects CD Changer?

Originally posted by Outland
Sounds like they need to add the CD changer to the fibre optic loop...I think its called 'resetting the loop". Do a search for some of the early self installs on the CD changers...several folks had problems similar to yours.
You see, the strange thing is when I picked up the car, the CD Changer worked fine. I had no problems at all. When I get home, I turn off the car and eject the magazine.

By morning, when I pop in the magazine, I get the NO CD Changer message. From there on, it could work later in the day or sometimes not. It's very tempermental. But always in the morning, when I pop back in the magazine, it never works.

If they didn't reset the loop as you've suggested, then the CD Changer would not have worked at all to begin with right? I really don't know what's wrong.
Old 02-07-2003, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: Re: Re: Temperature Affects CD Changer?

If they didn't reset the loop as you've suggested, then the CD Changer would not have worked at all to begin with right? I really don't know what's wrong.
Did you do a search for this problem?

Several owners who installed the Changer themselves had no problem getting the changer to show up after installation. However in the hours, days or weeks after, they got the no changer message. Why some do this and others don't, I don't know. Perhaps its the method they used, or a revision of the software used to run/recognize the loop.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230K
Well I see my contribution in this thread was ignored, but it's ok no bad feelings. Dude I told you keep going back until they put in a CD CHANGER that works. They're just guessing at what the problem might be with this temperature thing. My service advisor told me that they don't know why the first two changers "died". I had the same fault messages as you. It was still warm here in Boston when I had the problem.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:55 AM
taylor192

When working normally, there is an illuminated green light on the eject button. But in my case, no green light is present when the NO CD CHANGER message is displayed.
If there is no green light then this is an obvious power problem.

1. Does the CD Changer have an aux power input? The HU has one so that it can be turned on while the keys are not in the ignition and eject a CD (I have an Audio 10). I'm guessing that it doesn't cause you say you cannot eject the CD magazine, can someone verify this?

2. If there is no aux power, then you're not getting power at all, and its probably because of a wire poorly connected, that when it "shrinks" due to cold weather, loses contact.

3. Worst case, it is the CD changed itself, a poorly soldered component somewhere loses contact in cold weather and prevents power from turning on.

I would assume the Changer behaves identical to the HU, that if it has power it should eject the magazine, regardless if the CU recognizes it or not.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:36 AM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
If working properly, the magazine can be ejected even when the ignition is turned off.

I will ask them to put in a new CD Changer today and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:29 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
Dealer called and said they've ordered a new CD Changer, which arrives on Monday, to put into my car. I hope you're right about this one Falagic because I'm really sick and tired of going back to the dealer.

In a matter of 2 weeks, I've been back there 5 times and nothing was solved.