C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

m271 SC pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K Coupe (05)
m271 SC pulley

I have been looking for a SC pulley for my coupe for a while and it seems that there isnt much out there. And if there was they no longer make it.

Any of you guys know of anyone that still makes the pulley anymore and an idea of how much it cost.

Also, for all you guys/girls that did get the SC pulley in your car, how much hp/tq gains did you get out of it.

thanks in advance for you input guys!
Old 05-08-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe, 2003 E320, 2003 Chevy Corvette Z06
+1
Old 05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
from what i've gathered from reading around... and my personal sense on getting a pulley is that i would only do it if i got a ECU tune to compliment. otherwise the gains may not be worth it for a pulley alone (+10 to 12 hp with a pulley only). -->correct me if i'm wrong
Old 05-08-2009, 05:16 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
oh yeah...an ecu tune is needed after getting the pulley....but need the pulley first!

lol

Originally Posted by midnight kompre
from what i've gathered from reading around... and my personal sense on getting a pulley is that i would only do it if i got a ECU tune to compliment. otherwise the gains may not be worth it for a pulley alone (+10 to 12 hp with a pulley only). -->correct me if i'm wrong
Old 05-08-2009, 06:09 PM

MK IV .:R32
+10-12 hp w/o a tune sounds pretttty good to me........
Old 05-08-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
I have a Renntech pulley kit (crank pulley + waterpump pulley + belt), $500 USD obo, PM me if interested.
I have misplaced the waterpump pulley, I'm going to search and to see if it turns up. MB waterpump pulleys are cheap ($30), just need to source the correct size.

This was a very good mod, it added a lot (20 hp/tq) at low rpms (2-4K) yet not a lot (5-10 hp/tq) at high rpms (4-6K). The ECU nannies kill the gains at the high end.

I uninstalled it due to other issues with my car, went back to a stock engine.

Last edited by amanonfire; 05-08-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:27 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
^ PM sent

Last edited by hieracity; 05-08-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
btw, u are talking about the Super Charger pulley right?

just for clarification

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
he's talking about a larger crank pulley for the car. You can try finding a machine shop to machine down your stock sc pulley smaller for more boost.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
im a bit confused...

the supercharger pulley and the crank pulley work off the same belt correct?

to make the SC pulley more effective, you make it smaller, which will make it spin faster....henceforth overdrive.

if you make the crank pulley larger, mind you running on the same belt, would that not negate the effect of the SC pulley spinning faster.

i can understand that the stock crank pulley are hella heavy...so putting a lighter one will make a difference. but putting a larger crank pulley seems a bit counter intuitive to me...

what do you guys have to say about this guys?

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
he's talking about a larger crank pulley for the car. You can try finding a machine shop to machine down your stock sc pulley smaller for more boost.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
a larger crank pulley will increase boost or a smaller sc pulley will increase boost. you can do one or the other. Usually if u run both though you'll run pretty lean and might need to upgrade your injectors or fuel pump. its been done on c32's and srt6's.

a larger diameter crank pulley will make the belt travel further per rotation, which spins the sc blower pully more each rotation of the crank.

Only problem is that is spins the other accessories faster like the ac and alternator, so it may wear them out faster.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 05-09-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's easy to make the s/c pulley smaller by far, it's just that it's beyond most enthusiasts skills to remove this pulley since it's pressed on. Either way you do it, it will be a bust depending on how you drive. Boost will come on sooner making it feel a little faster, but at peak power, you are overdriving the s/c beyond it's specs, so the faster you spin it, the more HP it requires to spin it to the point where the losses exceed the gains. I've seen dyno's with a pulley and at peak power, you would be lucky to get 2-4HP and for the real risk of driving the s/c beyond it's max rated rpm, I would never do it. And to say that with an ECU flash you can get 10-15HP with the pulley, hmm, wouldn't you get that without the pulley also.

That's the reason you can't find a pulley for your car, yet you can still find plenty of people selling a pulley kit for the M111 motor that became obsolete year's ago.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
It's easy to make the s/c pulley smaller by far, it's just that it's beyond most enthusiasts skills to remove this pulley since it's pressed on. Either way you do it, it will be a bust depending on how you drive. Boost will come on sooner making it feel a little faster, but at peak power, you are overdriving the s/c beyond it's specs, so the faster you spin it, the more HP it requires to spin it to the point where the losses exceed the gains. I've seen dyno's with a pulley and at peak power, you would be lucky to get 2-4HP and for the real risk of driving the s/c beyond it's max rated rpm, I would never do it. And to say that with an ECU flash you can get 10-15HP with the pulley, hmm, wouldn't you get that without the pulley also.

That's the reason you can't find a pulley for your car, yet you can still find plenty of people selling a pulley kit for the M111 motor that became obsolete year's ago.
well said!
Old 05-09-2009, 02:50 PM

W203
Either way you do it, it will be a bust depending on how you drive. Boost will come on sooner making it feel a little faster, but at peak power, you are overdriving the s/c beyond it's specs, so the faster you spin it, the more HP it requires to spin it to the point where the losses exceed the gains. I've seen dyno's with a pulley and at peak power, you would be lucky to get 2-4HP and for the real risk of driving the s/c beyond it's max rated rpm, I would never do it.
The Eaton MP45 can be driven up to 15psi (AFAIK) and the larger pulley drive it there ONLY if you're redlining the car, otherwise for driving you'll be well within normal ranges.

A "little faster" is misleading, since 20hp more in the 2-4K rpm range launches this car MUCH better.

Unless you're on a drag strip, few people will be hard on the gas and keeping their cars in the 4-6K rpm range, they drive between 2-4K rpms and will definitely notice the 20 hp gain.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:30 PM

F10

making a note...do not get pulley. Thanks for the advise.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:24 AM

C230 K Coupe (05)
So you are saying that the m111 engine can handle the pulley whereas the m271 engine cannot?

That sucks!

Why the heck is that?

Don't a lot of SC mustangs mod their pulley?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM

W203
Originally Posted by hieracity
So you are saying that the m111 engine can handle the pulley whereas the m271 engine cannot?

That sucks!

Why the heck is that?

Don't a lot of SC mustangs mod their pulley?
You need some education on SCs:

The Eaton MP45 is capable of running to 15psi without issue. It does start to become inefficient at that high of boost due to the heat created. You will only hit 15 psi at redline, how often do you drive at redline? Most likely 95% of your driving will be well within tolerances and efficiencies of the Eaton MP45. The Renntech/Kleemann crank pulleys for the M271 increase the boost to 15 psi max.

So this should create more boost, why doesn't it create more power?

The Seimens ECU that controls the M271 has built in protection that even the big tuners like Evosport and Kleemann could not disable. The protection is triggered at high boost.

Kleemann got around this with the Kbox, that manipulates signals to trick the ECU, so that gains can be realized at high boost (high rpms) when the protection kicks in. Again, 95% of your driving will NOT be in the range this protection kicks in.

Before the protection kicks in, the increase boost does increase HP. There was a dyno showing ~20 whp gains at 2-3K rpms dropping off to ~5hp gains at 5-6K rpms due to the ECU protection.

So if you're not concerned about the "who's d*ick is longest" contest to quote the highest HP number, and more interested in getting some much needed power at the low end, then this is a very good mod. If you're just doing this for show, so you can brag to your buddies "my car makes 20 hp more" then with mod isn't worthwhile.

Other members running the Renntech pulley have been able to squeeze more gains out of it with a custom ECU tune, larger injectors and lower-temp plugs.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:15 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Ahhh!

I sure as hell dont care about top speed or how many hp I have. Most of my driving is done in the city so I care more for the low end.

And the only time it gets to the redline is when i do sprints (every now and then against my friends 335i only to be shot down everytime...y do i even bother, lol). But as u guys know, it stays on the redline only for a moment.

So I guess, I should be golden then

Thanks man!

Originally Posted by amanonfire
You need some education on SCs:

The Eaton MP45 is capable of running to 15psi without issue. It does start to become inefficient at that high of boost due to the heat created. You will only hit 15 psi at redline, how often do you drive at redline? Most likely 95% of your driving will be well within tolerances and efficiencies of the Eaton MP45. The Renntech/Kleemann crank pulleys for the M271 increase the boost to 15 psi max.

So this should create more boost, why doesn't it create more power?

The Seimens ECU that controls the M271 has built in protection that even the big tuners like Evosport and Kleemann could not disable. The protection is triggered at high boost.

Kleemann got around this with the Kbox, that manipulates signals to trick the ECU, so that gains can be realized at high boost (high rpms) when the protection kicks in. Again, 95% of your driving will NOT be in the range this protection kicks in.

Before the protection kicks in, the increase boost does increase HP. There was a dyno showing ~20 whp gains at 2-3K rpms dropping off to ~5hp gains at 5-6K rpms due to the ECU protection.

So if you're not concerned about the "who's d*ick is longest" contest to quote the highest HP number, and more interested in getting some much needed power at the low end, then this is a very good mod. If you're just doing this for show, so you can brag to your buddies "my car makes 20 hp more" then with mod isn't worthwhile.

Other members running the Renntech pulley have been able to squeeze more gains out of it with a custom ECU tune, larger injectors and lower-temp plugs.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
if you gain on the low end, dont you lose on the high end of the rpm range(compared to stock)?

because if this is so, all cruising and highway driving above 3k rpm will be crippled.

edit: i'm not exactly sure so don't lose hopes

Last edited by Midnight Koop; 05-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
DOH!!!

if you gain on the low end, dont you lose on the high end of the rpm range(compared to stock)?

because if this is so, all cruising and highway driving above 3k rpm will be crippled.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM

W203

edit: i'm not exactly sure so don't lose hopes
The amount of misinformation is astonishing on this subject.

There are no losses compared to stock, there are actually gains, only minimal (5hp). Why would you think there are losses? The ECU protection is going to limit gains, why (and moreso, how) would it decrease power further than back to a safe level?

Please stop posting misinformation. If you don't know, ask, don't be a drama queen and assume the worse.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre

There are no losses compared to stock, there are actually gains, only minimal (5hp). Why would you think there are losses? The ECU protection is going to limit gains, why (and moreso, how) would it decrease power further than back to a safe level?

Please stop posting misinformation. If you don't know, ask, don't be a drama queen and assume the worse.
+1

amanonfire, thank you for giving the n00bs a well thought out and clear explanation of things.

honestly, why do you guys make such a big deal over this? do you realize that the gains are slight and that it won't make you an S2000 killer? you have a C230, a $500-1000 mod will NOT make the car significantly faster. if you want fast, trade in your car. you have to be on crack if you think that a pulley will make this car competitive with a 335i.

I ran with an EXTREMELY modded C230 with headers, pulley, etc. with my lightly modded C230 and sure there were differences, but it's not night and day, it was MARGINAL. he pulled slightly on me, but it wasn't like "OMG".

if you really want to make your car is faster, then keep up with the maintenance items and spend your money on making sure your car is in tip-top shape. because no matter what you do to mod it, if your spark plugs are old, your fluids are contaminated, your car is in disrepair (which I think most of the people that are up in arms about this are), then you'll never put up a fight against a healthy STOCK car.

also, if you have money to burn, why not invest in driving lessons or track time? that's a much better way of spending your money to make you faster rather than on mods that won't do much.

with that being said, I'm not bashing the C230, it's a comfortable cruiser that looks very good and has excellent fuel economy.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203

if you look at my post it had a question mark in it because i WAS asking a question.

and i am not making stuff up.. i was referring to a previous comment by Buellwinkle which hinted that there are losses at high rpms:

"Either way you do it, it will be a bust depending on how you drive. Boost will come on sooner making it feel a little faster, but at peak power, you are overdriving the s/c beyond it's specs, so the faster you spin it, the more HP it requires to spin it to the point where the losses exceed the gains. I've seen dyno's with a pulley and at peak power, you would be lucky to get 2-4HP and for the real risk of driving the s/c beyond it's max rated rpm, I would never do it."

you are not a moderator on here, so you have no authority on who posts what. i had good intentions on my post and i don't appreciate your attitude with these references and comments:

...Please stop posting misinformation. If you don't know, ask, don't be a drama queen and assume the worse
...So if you're not concerned about the "who's d*ick is longest...
Buellwinkle is a highly respected memeber in my opinion and has been on the forum for years, so I was just trying to make sense out of what he posted in relation to your comments.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by nlpamg
+1

you have to be on crack if you think that a pulley will make this car competitive with a 335i.

i have no intention of being competitive with the 335i. lol. I know that, u know that...we all know that.

just trying to make this a learning experience : )
Old 05-19-2009, 03:01 PM

W203
you are not a moderator on here, so you have no authority on who posts what.
I moderator just thanked me for educating those in this thread and criticized the other posters. Thank you very much.

i had good intentions on my post and i don't appreciate your attitude with these references and comments:
First "who's d*ck is longest" is a bit of sarcasm about the car industry and everyone wanting to quote the highest HP number.

Second "don't be a drama queen and assume the worse" was in response to this:
If you don't know, don't assume. There's no good intentions from posting misinformation from bad assumptions.

Drama queen was in response to "crippled". Give me a break, if it crippled driving Renntech wouldn't sell it.

and i am not making stuff up.. i was referring to a previous comment by Buellwinkle which hinted that there are losses at high rpms:

"Either way you do it, it will be a bust depending on how you drive. Boost will come on sooner making it feel a little faster, but at peak power, you are overdriving the s/c beyond it's specs, so the faster you spin it, the more HP it requires to spin it to the point where the losses exceed the gains. I've seen dyno's with a pulley and at peak power, you would be lucky to get 2-4HP and for the real risk of driving the s/c beyond it's max rated rpm, I would never do it."

Buellwinkle is a highly respected memeber in my opinion and has been on the forum for years, so I was just trying to make sense out of what he posted in relation to your comments.
I've bolded the part you missed in Buellwinkle's post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: m271 SC pulley