C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Get this...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 02:08 PM
benzomonterey

This has been proven by the fact that in Las Vegas Fletcher Jones has a dealership. On the other side of town Fletcher Jones runs a stand alone MB service Center. Authorized by the factory.

Sales could easily go away and there could be these stand alone service centers.

Mercedes Benz builds service only centers

Mercedes-Benz of North America, Inc. is building three service centers for the sole purpose of servicing vehicles. The service centers will be built and operated by authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in Sacramento, CA, Las Vegas, NV, and Cincinnati, OH.

A typical service center will contain between six and 10 service bays, reception and administrative areas and be designed to encourage interaction between customers and the technicians working on their cars. The centers will combine the quality of service, parts and technical training found at Mercedes-Benz dealerships with the convenience and feel of "neighborhood service" offered by many independent repair shops.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550 Roadster
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

If the dealer is who may throw in a free CD-changer, why was it expected that a car cover would come out of the salesperson's end. Why can't the dealer throw in a car cover? Was it because the deal was already made?
Old 01-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by RedC230K
I'll be happy to be a source of "insider" info to anyone who might need it. Just ask.
RedC230K, Several on this forum assume that MB works the same way as your local Chevy dealer when it comes to holdbacks. In contrast, I've been told from an independent broker (with no particular axe to grind) that Mercedes-Benz does NOT have a holdback system for its dealers. Is this true?
Old 01-24-2002, 02:22 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
What is a holdback?

I've heard this term "holdback" many times on this forum, and I have no idea what one is and how it's used by the dealership or manufacturer to determine the price. Would someone be kind enough to explain this concept to me, assuming that it's not difficult or time-consuming to explain?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:31 PM

'04 Mars Red C230K 6 sp.
Pete,
My situation may be unusual, but I had a lot of contact with my clients after the sale. When service was needed, I would go to their homes (or work) and get the car, and then return it after the service was done. In many cases, I was a bit of a concierge for my clients. They were encouraged to call me with any post-sale concerns or questions.
In another case, I arranged paintless dent removal on an ML to keep a wife out of trouble with her husband!! heheh. They were both thrilled with the results and the cost.

You guys are correct in many ways. You know more about the cars than most salespeople and you just want to purchase a product directly. Nothing wrong with that. I used to sell cars for less to people who I knew would probably never come back whining, complaining, or asking for the impossible.
Good people got good deals because I knew they wouldn't make my life difficult.

I agree with the fact that the dealer could afford a car cover gimme - as long as it was negotioted before the deal was final.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 Jaguar XJS Convertible
so if a sales person makes $10 / hour, plus a "fee" for each class of car that he sells, how the hcek does he afford to live?
Old 01-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Re: What is a holdback?

Originally posted by Pete
I've heard this term "holdback" many times on this forum, and I have no idea what one is and how it's used by the dealership or manufacturer to determine the price. Would someone be kind enough to explain this concept to me, assuming that it's not difficult or time-consuming to explain?
Thanks.
As I understand it, a holdback is a percentage that the manufacture pays to the dealer to cover the interest cost for cars that they hold on lot. I believe that they normally factor in 3 months (this could vary by company). So a car sold in less than this time, the money becomes profit to the dealer. So if you are ordering a car, you can use this to your advantage, since the dealer will not have any interest expense on the car.

If I have misstated any of this, please someone correct me.
Old 01-24-2002, 03:44 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
RedC230K,

Well, it sounds like you earned the money you made as a salesperson, which is more than I can say for my salesperson. Then again, maybe that's not fair for me to say, because I haven't contacted him since I made the purchase; so I can't very well say that he wouldn't be receptive to me, now. He certainly didn't have to work very hard for the sale, in any case.

I paid MSRP for the car, and I didn't get anything for "free," which honestly I was fine with, until I heard that others received freebies (like CD-changers, etc.). I ordered mine, very early, though, too, so maybe things have changed since then.

Thanks for all of the info. I hope that your new job is treating you well.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:01 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Having grown up in a family that swears by MB, this is my personal experience with MB dealers:

We had one salesman who we have bought most of our cars from...until he screwed me over on a CLK...the whole deal was that i notified him when i ordered the clk320(before it was in production) that if a v8 or a amg kit came out, i wanted it...funny thing happens..the clk430 comes out before my car comes in (this was some 6 months)...and he tells me that i would be put int he same position on the 430 (30th)...which meant waiting ANOTHER 8 or 9 months. ARE U KIDDING? I SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT BEFORE RAY CATENA HIMSELF (the dealer), i said. well that was the end of my personal relationship with him...and that was after all the business my father has given him. My father recently purchased an S430, and he went to a different salesperson, who seemed more courteous...and willing to give us a deal to keep our patronage. He gave us as a good a deal on a 2002 as this other dealer was giving on the 2001 leftovers...and it was mostly no hassle....in 30 minutes we had papers signed.

How is service though? I have never had a salesperson's contact in regard to service. I may come in contact with him if i have questions...they call me to ask me how the car is, etc. But pick up the car for service, etc??? no way. My thoughts....I'll go where i get the best deal...and for service, im gonna first go to the place that is closest no matter what (no reason in driving 50 miles each way to service the car unless i have to)...now if they screw with me...or if for some reason I think they are doing inferior work...or hell...if they give me tercels instead of an E320...then i start considering going elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:03 PM

2007 SL550 Roadster
Thanks, revstriker; that makes sense.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:19 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by SL55AMG
so if a sales person makes $10 / hour, plus a "fee" for each class of car that he sells, how the hcek does he afford to live?
Hmmm. 10/hr is $20,800 a year. Without any extra fees, and with a wife at home and two kids (wife does not work), according to the Congress, that is a 'middle-class' income (above poverty line).
Old 01-24-2002, 04:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
This seems like one of those threads in which no one will ever agree. So, I'll jump in . I don't see the logic to wanting to pay the lowest possible amount on a car, and expecting the best salesperson at the same time. You don't go to Supercuts and expect to come out looking like Brad Pitt. While I think that everyone should try to get a good deal, I do think that there are limits.

I know that, since I ordered my ccoupe so early, I leaned on my salesperson alot for information. I did not expect a great deal, and I wasn't disappointed :p . But, we arrived at a nice, friendly medium point that we both could live with.

By the way, don't most dealers make their money with the service dept., and not the sales dept.? In other words, that nice, shiny showroom is partially paid for with revenue out of service, which makes sense anyway, since most people get their cars serviced by the dealer that sold them the car to begin with.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by tommy
You don't go to Supercuts and expect to come out looking like Brad Pitt
You mean.... I don't really look like Brad Pitt?? I guess $8.00 doesn't buy what it used to.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
When all is said and done, I don't think it's out of the question for the buyer to do his/her research, and try to get the best possible price. There is plenty of information on the internet and other places that I can use. If I know what price I expect to pay, and I know that other people are paying this price, then I would not expect to be "shown the door" or treated unkindly by the sales person just because I know this.. Of course they have the right to earn a living, but I have the right to be treated fairly, and to get the best price on a car.
Old 01-24-2002, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by tommy
By the way, don't most dealers make their money with the service dept., and not the sales dept.? In other words, that nice, shiny showroom is partially paid for with revenue out of service, which makes sense anyway, since most people get their cars serviced by the dealer that sold them the car to begin with.
we got a project doing a Land Rover Dealership and when we talked about expanding their space, they didn't want more sales space. they wanted more repair space. my interpretation is either they make more money there or land rovers break down a lot or both.
Old 01-24-2002, 05:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Hey Rick (Flashman)

Have you had any service done up at MB Orlando in the past. They seem nice just not real outgoing to you as person. Just curious.
Randy
Old 01-24-2002, 09:56 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Not yet, but I plan to. The service department is run separately, and the sales manager (who would not come down in price) assured me (when I asked directly) that my repair/service experience will not be any different regardless of where I bought the car from. We shall see what happens...
Old 01-24-2002, 11:23 PM

w203 c230K 2002
Arrow I can't belive I missed this

I sell Mercedes. I’m just a lowly car salesman. That could not be more wrong!!!

At our dealer ship we make more than 150.00 per coupe sale we get a flat for all C class except the C32, which has enough margin to calculate on a normal commission schedule.

If you buy a Mercedes C-coupe at the asking price you are getting a deal. Bottom line. Think about it 4 year 50,000 warranties & maintenance, free Mercedes loaner cars for service work. Not considering the car it’s self. What else are you going to get? BMW no loaners Ford Focus rentals 3 year maintenance program. Nissan, or Honda no loaners no maintenance and a higher profit margin than the C-Class plus dealer incentives you don’t know about. In the end you will pay more for less.

Cars don’t sell them self’s, that model has not been fruitful it has been tried several different ways. You know, I don’t even think of it as selling Mercedes, I believe they are the finest motor car made. I enjoy showing them off.

Randy
Old 01-24-2002, 11:37 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
thank god you stepped in renncpe, finally someone has laid to rest the 150 per coupe BS.

Heres a thought

if there was an option for door to door delivery for repairs, ultra fast call backs, and super friendly salesman for the low low cost of $3000 would you buy???

option package IMDUM2a

i would take crappy service at the point of sale (assuming my car was ordered as per my specs, and delivered on time) for 500 over invoice.

if you gave me both for 500 over invoice, you will have my loyalty and money time and time again.

thanks again randy for not pulling the bleeding heart, woe is me, i am a poor salesman who makes 45 bucks for every s class i sell

randy- if you werent on the other side of the country i would be putting my 500 down on gst with you

greg
Old 01-25-2002, 12:23 AM

w203 c230K 2002
Originally posted by greg230
thank god you stepped in renncpe, finally someone has laid to rest the 150 per coupe BS.
Greg there may be some dealers that only pay 150.00 on a C-coupe. We don't sell at 500 over, but we can keep a well trained staff and hopefully you would feel like you got the IMDUM2a option package for free

Randy