C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

CEL / P0340 Cam Position circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230
CEL / P0340 Cam Position circuit malfunction

hey guys - looking for some ideas or help suggestions. my 2003 C230 sport tripped a code last week. CEL came on and gave me P0340 Cam Position Sensor A bank 1 Circuit malfunction. dropped at the dealer explained the situation. They told me they replaced the cam sensor and cleared codes..after a few starts the code came back. they put old sensor in and did not charge me for new one. i picked it up from there and brought it to a local VERY expierenced (25year MB tech) and he has the car now. He has tested all electrical components including all 4 cam sensors, crank position sensor and so on...all came back positive read. He is going to open up the valve cover tomorrow and take a look at the mechanics inside to make sure it did not jump timing.

he mentioned the ECU might have a fault in it...not sure.

Anyone run into somthing like this? i have searched this forum and only see where the leaky cam sensors can cause this, but when unplug the cam sensors they are completly dry? and testing ok? not leaking at all?

looking for some suggestions or maybe someone that might have had this problem. will advise when he gets back to me after he pops off the valve cover.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:51 AM

2003 C230
my friendly mechanic advised that he took off the valve cover and found the intake cam has jumped timing due to a fault in the tensioner. he is going to replace the tensioner and should be good to go. he mentioned that a drop in oil pressure will make the tensioner give slack and that causes the timing to jump. not sure why this would happen other than maybe an o ring got left off the oil filter! who knows, but should be fixed and back on the road by tuesday.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM

C230K
Timing, tensioner, chain or other ???

Hi Was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 2003 c230K coupe with 66k miles.
The other day after sitting in the cold for 3 days I started the car to go to work. almost immediately started a loud rapping noise and idle poor. using OBDII tester from advanced auto Pulled codes P0010 intake camshaft position actuator circuit /open Bank1 as well as all 4 cyl miss fire. purchased and installed new intake sensor symptom did not change. read the possibility of chain stretch and jumping one tooth. So i removed cover to see timing marks exhaust side seemed right intake side seemed advanced. Not knowing how the adjusters work am hesitant to go further without more information. Picked up chilton manual. does not give any info in this area. Any advice would be appreciated. This particular issue there is not enough info for me to go further.
Thanks for your time and consideration.