MBWorld.org Forums

MBWorld.org Forums (https://mbworld.org/forums/)
-   C-Class (W203) (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203-3/)
-   -   Just bought a COMAND unit (https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/300883-just-bought-comand-unit.html)

PeteyV 05-29-2009 11:46 AM

Can anyone answer any of my last 2 posts because I really would want to buy that adapter now so I can get it as soon as possible. Maybe there is someone here that can read german and translate the auction for me?

PeteyV 05-29-2009 07:40 PM

I just realized I can translate the page in Ebay.

http://74.125.95.132/translate_c?hl=...kJZtCrPWBpY_HQ

So I am assuming that this adapter plugs into my original Audio 10 harness and then into the COMAND 2.0 system to make it work without cutting wires, right? My car's build date is 12/2003.

JohnCL 05-29-2009 07:58 PM

You don't need a CANBUS simulator, your car already has a CANBUS. You can buy the harness and do all of this without cutting any wires. You will need to run the CAN wires to the passenger side floor board area and hook them in there to the termination block. The original plug that is in the car now will plug into the harness. Try amgkit.com as they had the C1 / C2 adapter the last I knew and you need to get it with the CAN wires installed.

So, you need COMAND (You have), 203 820 09 75 – Navigation antenna, C1 / C2 adapter with CAN wires, T20 driver, flat blade screw driver, and about an hour. With all the right stuff this is an easy project.

Also, the correct location for the antenna is under the dash above the instrument cluster.

Good luck.

PeteyV 05-29-2009 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 3549491)
You don't need a CANBUS simulator, your car already has a CANBUS. You can buy the harness and do all of this without cutting any wires. You will need to run the CAN wires to the passenger side floor board area and hook them in there to the termination block. The original plug that is in the car now will plug into the harness. Try amgkit.com as they had the C1 / C2 adapter the last I knew and you need to get it with the CAN wires installed.

So, you need COMAND (You have), 203 820 09 75 – Navigation antenna, C1 / C2 adapter with CAN wires, T20 driver, flat blade screw driver, and about an hour. With all the right stuff this is an easy project.

Also, the correct location for the antenna is under the dash above the instrument cluster.

Good luck.

Thanks, I found the C1/C2 adapter but idk how to order it with CAN wires. There is not an option when I enter checkout. Ill try emailing them tommorow since the server is under maintenance right now. Also, I am not very familiar with the electronics in this car (reason I'm doing this retrofit is because everyone says its easy) so what is a termination block? Is it where the power cuts off to the comand after the car is turned off?

PeteyV 05-30-2009 01:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I just got the Comand in the mail today. And now that I have it and I'm looking at it I want to know what goes where if someone could help. I numbered them so if someone helps me out they can refer to what number they are telling me about. Also #4 has a green tab in it, I can take it out and put it back in. I'm not sure if its used for something or not.

JohnCL 05-30-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by PeteyV (Post 3550365)
Ok I just got the Comand in the mail today. And now that I have it and I'm looking at it I want to know what goes where if someone could help. I numbered them so if someone helps me out they can refer to what number they are telling me about. Also #4 has a green tab in it, I can take it out and put it back in. I'm not sure if its used for something or not.

1 is the NAV antenna, 2 is the C1 / C2 connector, 3 is the power connector (already in car), 4 is the fiber connector (the green plug comes out), and 5 is the radio antenna.

PeteyV 05-30-2009 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 3550367)
1 is the NAV antenna, 2 is the C1 / C2 connector, 3 is the power connector (already in car), 4 is the fiber connector (the green plug comes out), and 5 is the radio antenna.

Thanks John. Have you retrofitted a Comand before?

JohnCL 05-30-2009 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by PeteyV (Post 3550390)
Thanks John. Have you retrofitted a Comand before?

A few times. It is really not as hard as it seems. Once you have the first one under your belt it is all down hill.

PeteyV 05-30-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 3550391)
A few times. It is really not as hard as it seems. Once you have the first one under your belt it is all down hill.

If I buy that C1 C2 connector from amgkit.com and it does not come with CAN wires, is that a problem? Do you have an MSN or AIM so I can ask you a few questions about this, if you have time?

JohnCL 05-30-2009 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by PeteyV (Post 3550393)
If I buy that C1 C2 connector from amgkit.com and it does not come with CAN wires, is that a problem? Do you have an MSN or AIM so I can ask you a few questions about this, if you have time?

I will hit you up later on. We have some stuff going on today.

PeteyV 05-30-2009 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JohnCL (Post 3550411)
I will hit you up later on. We have some stuff going on today.

Thanks again.

Dr.Fox 05-30-2009 03:42 PM

Great thread, tell us how it worked out! I'm thinking of doing this myself on my 2002 - this looks like what I'll have to do, as mine won't be plug and play either

PeteyV 05-31-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Fox (Post 3550484)
Great thread, tell us how it worked out! I'm thinking of doing this myself on my 2002 - this looks like what I'll have to do, as mine won't be plug and play either

As soon as I figure it all out, I will try and do a DIY for this.

FrankW 05-31-2009 07:39 PM

I found the DIY instruction I used when I did the Comand 2.0 myself. saves you some trouble to write a diy.

here's the link http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+R...article-1.html

PeteyV 06-01-2009 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by FrankW (Post 3552016)
I found the DIY instruction I used when I did the Comand 2.0 myself. saves you some trouble to write a diy.

here's the link http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+R...article-1.html

Thanks, I wonder if the wiring loom adapter on that comand.co.uk website is only for RHD cars since I believe the site is based in England. Or does that not make a difference?

Dr.Fox 06-01-2009 12:23 PM

Will this really fit W203?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-Benz-DV...3286.m63.l1177

This obviously isn't Comand 2.0...however this ad says W203 <'04

EDIT: It's the newer comand APS, DVD Based system - Nevermind!

FrankW 06-01-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by PeteyV (Post 3552894)
Thanks, I wonder if the wiring loom adapter on that comand.co.uk website is only for RHD cars since I believe the site is based in England. Or does that not make a difference?

didn't I just said I used this for my "own" car. :slap: no it doesn't make a difference. the wiring are all the same.

aznmode 06-24-2009 07:23 PM

It seems everyone prefers the Euro vs US command. Is the only reason the DVD play back. I assume on US version you can play a CD while the Navi is running and on the Euro you can't use both because of only one dvd drive? I had a chance to buy a US spec but it has no DVD playback capability.

dukeof0 06-26-2009 10:27 AM

www.benzworld.org/forums But i suggest you have it fitted at your local MB dealer. If the plug and play lead is available on your car you still have to have the can lines entered by computor also phone etc.

PeteyV 06-26-2009 01:27 PM

Well, I finished the install and everything went pretty smooth. Only problem was that I did not have the right Torx wrench so I sent my brother out to Murrays to get me the correct size. I was surprised at how easy it is to actually remove the center counsel. Everything basically snaps back into place when you apply pressure to it.

I believe people have my Comand confused with the newer comand that has a DVD drive. I have the older model comand 2.0 that is a CD based comand.

Actually I have a question too if anyone can help me. Does the HU itself only play the navigation CD's? Because I put in an audio CD and it did not play it back.

Dr.Fox 06-26-2009 01:48 PM

I completed my install as well, a couple weeks ago :y The head unit plays both Audio CD's and Navigation CD's.