C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

PROBLEMS with DRIVER SIDE LIGHT Fixtures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320, 2006 E350
Unhappy PROBLEMS with DRIVER SIDE LIGHT Fixtures

For some reason or another i've been having errors on my drivers side light fixtures (tail light out substitute on) for some time now. However, its really becoming a problem as of late. I recently purchased LED wedge bulb lights, and they work perfectly on my passenger side (in the sidemarkers and city light) however, when i put the same bulbs on the driver's side i get a flicker? I have the LED tail lights and the passenger side tails light up perfectly but the driver's side flickrs slightly (i'm sure that's because of the bulb out error).

If anyone has any idea why this is happening i would greatly appreciate it.

keep in my mind the passenger side of my vehicle has no problems. it's just the driver's side.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 E350 4MATIC
Dirty ground points?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by bigtone559
For some reason or another i've been having errors on my drivers side light fixtures (tail light out substitute on) for some time now. However, its really becoming a problem as of late. I recently purchased LED wedge bulb lights, and they work perfectly on my passenger side (in the sidemarkers and city light) however, when i put the same bulbs on the driver's side i get a flicker? I have the LED tail lights and the passenger side tails light up perfectly but the driver's side flickrs slightly (i'm sure that's because of the bulb out error).

If anyone has any idea why this is happening i would greatly appreciate it.

keep in my mind the passenger side of my vehicle has no problems. it's just the driver's side.
there is your problem. do a search on LED + load resistors.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320, 2006 E350
Hey Frank

that isn't the problem sir the problem existed prior to me using LED. So the probllem existed before that. I don't even have LED's in my city lights right now and the tail lights are still flickering talkin about bulb out.

Driver's side electronics are wacky!!!!

haven't the slightest idea what's going on but i know that cannot be the case.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:41 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
that isn't the problem sir the problem existed prior to me using LED. So the probllem existed before that. I don't even have LED's in my city lights right now and the tail lights are still flickering talkin about bulb out.

Driver's side electronics are wacky!!!!

haven't the slightest idea what's going on but i know that cannot be the case.
sorry, I meant to highlight your LED tail light as well.

for anything LED on this car you will need load resistors. doesn't matter if one side "seems" fine. The car runs a cross check electric current every few seconds and the LED does not draw enough current to make the car think there are bulbs there. If you have those Eagle eye LED tail lights it's pretty much likely that one side's pre-wired load resistor is gone.

either take out the LEDs in your lights OR do a search on LED and load resistors. you will find your solution there.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320, 2006 E350
take out the light?

Originally Posted by FrankW
sorry, I meant to highlight your LED tail light as well.

for anything LED on this car you will need load resistors. doesn't matter if one side "seems" fine. The car runs a cross check electric current every few seconds and the LED does not draw enough current to make the car think there are bulbs there. If you have those Eagle eye LED tail lights it's pretty much likely that one side's pre-wired load resistor is gone.

either take out the LEDs in your lights OR do a search on LED and load resistors. you will find your solution there.
OK Frankw, when you say take out the LEDs in the lights what exactly do you mean by this? i'm doing to do my homework and look up load resistors.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Yes you need load resistors if you're changing the wattage of the lights or it will error. I had the same problem with my driver's side tail lights under warranty (standard bulbs) and they changed the whole bulb carrier. Several people have had luck cleaning the bulb contacts/mounts.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320, 2006 E350
OK Frankw, when you say take out the LEDs in the lights what exactly do you mean by this? i'm doing to do my homework and look up load resistors.

Thanks for the info.
OK so i now know that i need a load resistor (I'm assuming just on the driver's side it appears the passengers have one on them.)

Now my problem seems to be i'm looking for a picture guide as to how to install one of these. I've been searching the forum and there's some good info about this i just can't seem to find any pictures! I've found a 50w resistor that seems as though it'll do the job i just now need to see photos or have someone help me out here.

THanks guys!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
OK so i now know that i need a load resistor (I'm assuming just on the driver's side it appears the passengers have one on them.)

Now my problem seems to be i'm looking for a picture guide as to how to install one of these. I've been searching the forum and there's some good info about this i just can't seem to find any pictures! I've found a 50w resistor that seems as though it'll do the job i just now need to see photos or have someone help me out here.

THanks guys!
check member "e1000" 's posts/threads. He has posted some DIY for installing resistors when using LED bulbs.

If you have the Eagle Eye tail lights however that's another story since they were suppose to have them built in.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320, 2006 E350
FRANKW

Originally Posted by FrankW
check member "e1000" 's posts/threads. He has posted some DIY for installing resistors when using LED bulbs.

If you have the Eagle Eye tail lights however that's another story since they were suppose to have them built in.
I do have eagle eye tail lights and from what i understand they were suppose to have them. I've looked at the housing and its all wierd so i don't want to mess with anything without checking first i'm going to do some homework on e1000's posts and i'll post pics of everything