C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

6-spd manual trans on C240 = better resale

Old 02-13-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
6-spd manual trans on C240 = better resale

A while back there were discussions on resale value on C240 or C-Coupe with a manual trans vs. an automatic trans. People touted that an automatic would get you better resale value. So I checked trade-in value of the same car but both transmission options on KBB.com. They are both worth the same, same price but the 6-spd cost less originally.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Buell, I've noticed that too, and I'm glad since I have the 6-spd. Anyway, when I check prices on kbb or edmunds I discount any manual difference because I figure 6-spds will be rare and anyone who wants one will have to pay :p . I just hope someone wants it when I sell in 3 or so years.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:55 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
kbb and edmunds are nice but in years of owning/selling/trading/(now leasing) cars i find the actual trade-in/sale value to be quite different from KBB and Edmunds. If you have an MB i think it will be a tough sell for manual tranny (come on guys who we kidding...isnt like 90%+ MBs sold are autos?). The dealer (or even indp. sale) will give you less for manual....the demand is just not there. On the other hand the coupe is a "sporty" car so they may give u same or similar $ for the trade-in/sale....but i find it hard on a sedan.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
tberry, your logic is good. But, I think it depends on whether the right person is looking for my car when I sell. Of course I would prefer not to trade. I usually scan the car pages every week in the Wash. Post and last week I saw a couple of C240 6-spds -- nearly the same price as autos. Of course they are only ads in the paper...I think the fact that the 6-spd is now offered in the C320 sedan is a good sign. I had no trouble selling my 5-spd Passat for a very good price, but that may be a different story. Oh well, time will tell...
Old 02-13-2003, 04:28 PM

2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
Originally posted by MarkL
tberry, your logic is good. But, I think it depends on whether the right person is looking for my car when I sell. Of course I would prefer not to trade. I usually scan the car pages every week in the Wash. Post and last week I saw a couple of C240 6-spds -- nearly the same price as autos. Of course they are only ads in the paper...I think the fact that the 6-spd is now offered in the C320 sedan is a good sign. I had no trouble selling my 5-spd Passat for a very good price, but that may be a different story. Oh well, time will tell...
Mark...I hope so too...I think its awesome that MB start offering 6spd on more of their line-up (esp in the SL and CLKs would be nice....and by GOD AMGs NEED IT). Although the MB auto is the most aggresive stock auto i've driven not to mention the weight penalty for auto vs manny is only like 50lbs and about usually .3-.5 sec diff 0-60 times. On my audi a4 the tiptronic blows...it weighs 200lbs more then manny and about 2 sec. higher 0-60 times....i'd love to have a 2nd car (a little RWD roadster with shortshift manny) some day
Old 02-13-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 6-spd manual trans on C240 = better resale

Originally posted by Buellwinkle
A while back there were discussions on resale value on C240 or C-Coupe with a manual trans vs. an automatic trans. People touted that an automatic would get you better resale value. So I checked trade-in value of the same car but both transmission options on KBB.com. They are both worth the same, same price but the 6-spd cost less originally.
I've been looking at used sport coupes on autotrader. A few days ago there were 17 that fit my specs and location. One was manual, the other 16 were auto. That seems to make the manual a lot rarer. Proportions were about the same for other areas.

Also, as a general rule, the percentage of people who want an auto goes up with age ( maybe those creaky knee joints ). Income tends to rise with age too.
So when a car is sold used, it is sold for less; therefore it is probably sold to a younger person; therefore to a person who is more likely to want a manual. ( yes there are certainly exceptions, but this is a statistical statement )

So not only is the supply of manuals low, but the demand for them will tend to increase.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Dealers now are looking at and going by the Manheim Market Report for trade in values. KBB and edmunds no longer apply and the value on Manheim is going to be lower. In a few months when the C230K Sport Coupe shows up more in the report I will look into it and post the numbers. I looked the other day but only a hand full have gone through the 88 Manheim Auctions. Average mileage is 10,000 and average selling price with or without the stick( I can't get that info for all cars) is 20,000 as of February 2003. Book price changes $500 for the Auto average for March 2003.