C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Time for Windshield Wiper Insert Replacements. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Time for Windshield Wiper Insert Replacements. Suggestions?

My C320 is now 22-months old and I need to think about replacing the windshield wiper blade inserts. So anyone have any experience in doing this yet? What brand, stock number to buy, etc.

BTW, I am NOT a fan of replacing the entire wiper arm... I'm no tree hugger, but the thought of having my steel, OEM wiper arms rusting away in some garbage dump makes me angry, as a waste of resources. So, I want to replace just the rubber inserts. Has anyone done this, yet?
Old 02-14-2003, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
I went to autoZone, Advance Auot, and pep boys and they didnt have the right sizes for the coupe. MB replaced them at Service B free of charge
Old 02-14-2003, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320
Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
... MB replaced them at Service B free of charge...
When I was in last, the tech at my MB dealer told me that they've received a mandate that the FIRST service is now going to be the B service... then A, then B, etc..., something about the financial implications. I thought that rather odd, but Timmy's post reminded me of it.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Dealer replaced mine after complaining of noise and streaking.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
i thought the dealer does that at every B service. i'm almost positive. also, you can order inserts from tirerack.com i think.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:26 PM

M
Talking

RainX. Then you don't need wipers. hehe!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:34 PM
Banned

W203
RainX and Service B

Is RainX is really that good or did I just miss the humor in that? My wiper blades were also replaced during my first service B. But yesterday when is was pouring in SD, they kept or it felt like they were on too tight because they still kept screeching even though the entire winsheild was drnechd! Kind of annoying. I just went outside when i stopped to get gas and just kind of adjusted then again and they were fine. Just tell the dealer that you were having some problems or something.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:34 PM

2017 GLA 250 4Matic
My dealer replaced mine for free at 8 months when I complained that they were noisy and left streak marks on the windshield. Now they wipe super clean without the noise.

I am not sure if aftermarket products would fit because I read somewhere saying that both inserts or of different lengths, but don't quote me on that.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:52 PM

2001 CLK320
wiper inserts

I have a W208 (monowiper), but you can get Trico, Anco blade fillers at most parts stores.

My advice: don't get the Bosch blades - they're horrible. Streaky, smeary.

I replaced mine after 3 weeks of owning the car - I couldn't see at night driving in the rain.

I took apart the metal clip that retains the rubber insert onto the arm, as the MB clip fits best.

I takes a few minutes, but then you're going to have a things that fits properly and works right.

And I agree MB-Bob, I can't see chucking out a perfectly good wiper arm into landfill just for the few minutes of time it might save me.

Just skip over the Bosch - its like having instantaneous biodegrading rubber the moment you install them on the car.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I think I saw some new blades, maybe the ones at TireRack, that have silicone on them. I guess it wipes this on the window with every wipe, and makes it slide easier and helps the water bead.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Re: RainX and Service B

Originally posted by .elijah.
Is RainX is really that good or did I just miss the humor in that? My wiper blades were also replaced during my first service B. But yesterday when is was pouring in SD, they kept or it felt like they were on too tight because they still kept screeching even though the entire winsheild was drnechd! Kind of annoying. I just went outside when i stopped to get gas and just kind of adjusted then again and they were fine. Just tell the dealer that you were having some problems or something.
yup, RainX is incredible. you honestly won't need wipers in light to medium rain. i put the rainx brand washer fluid in my car. it has the rainx formula in with the washer formula. cleans and beads up the water.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by Matt230K
I think I saw some new blades, maybe the ones at TireRack, that have silicone on them. I guess it wipes this on the window with every wipe, and makes it slide easier and helps the water bead.
yup, those are really good. i plan on buying the silicone ones when i need a replacement. but i just noticed that these are for a full replacement of the arm, not just the insert.

here ya go: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...ries&x=115&y=8

oh and by the way, any aftermarket wiper replacement inserts will do. you can pick them up anywhere. autozone, walmart, etc. just get the right length for each wiper. 22" for passenger and 24" for driver.

i can't believe this is a whole thread based on wiper blades. they're the easiest thing to change on a car.

Last edited by truelove; 02-14-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Re: RainX and Service B

Originally posted by .elijah.
ive lived here all my life and never seen it rain that hard in san diego like it did on wednesday. i work in sorrento valley and left around 2:30 to go home. i live in university heights so i take the 805/163 home. i was going like 40mph with my wipers on hi and could only see maybe 50 ft in front of me. it was crazy!!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by C230Jeff
When I was in last, the tech at my MB dealer told me that they've received a mandate that the FIRST service is now going to be the B service... then A, then B, etc..., something about the financial implications. I thought that rather odd, but Timmy's post reminded me of it.
also why are they going to do the service B first? just curious!
Old 02-14-2003, 04:26 PM

2001 CLK320
the B service question

I'll bet that MBUSA gets lots of complaints about noisy / poor performing wiper blades.

Many of the folks on this site have had that issue - my guess is that unless the customer really complains about it, they won't get covered under the 4 yr/50,000 mi. service until the "B" service interval.

Out of all the cars I've had, I never had to replace new wiper blades because of them not working right. It practically a safety issue, as having night time visibility so compromised that you couldn't see dark colored cars through the "visual special effects" courtesy of the Bosch wipers
Old 02-14-2003, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Re: the B service question

Originally posted by Hal H
I'll bet that MBUSA gets lots of complaints about noisy / poor performing wiper blades.

Many of the folks on this site have had that issue - my guess is that unless the customer really complains about it, they won't get covered under the 4 yr/50,000 mi. service until the "B" service interval.

Out of all the cars I've had, I never had to replace new wiper blades because of them not working right. It practically a safety issue, as having night time visibility so compromised that you couldn't see dark colored cars through the "visual special effects" courtesy of the Bosch wipers
i loved the blades on mine. the make no sound and clear all water COMPLETELY.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wipers seem to work well, but they're only a few weeks old. they dont make any noise or visual effects, im just ammused by the rain sensing wipers trying to make their mind. when i think they shouldnt be wipping they working twice as hard.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally posted by C230Jeff
Interesting, interesting.

I wonder if there is a chance to get a copy of that mandate considering how much some of these dealers don't know and try to pass on to the unsuspecting public.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
my wipers seem to work well, but they're only a few weeks old. they dont make any noise or visual effects, im just ammused by the rain sensing wipers trying to make their mind. when i think they shouldnt be wipping they working twice as hard.
i've noticed that too. they're too damn sensitive. last week it was just misting out and they were going really fast. i cranked it up to the 3rd option (Lo) and it was the same speed as the auto chose (too fast). i couldn't imagine it if they sqeaked or anything. they'd drive you nutz with no way to slow them down.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by truelove79
i've noticed that too. they're too damn sensitive. last week it was just misting out and they were going really fast. i cranked it up to the 3rd option (Lo) and it was the same speed as the auto chose (too fast). i couldn't imagine it if they sqeaked or anything. they'd drive you nutz with no way to slow them down.
I don't think the rain sensor selects the speed, only the wipe delay interval. The most they will do is full "low" speed if there is sufficient rain. BTW, position 1 is rain sense, 2 is "low" and 3 is "high" (assuming 0 is "off")

Also, sometimes depending on humidity, the windshield isn't "dry" after a wipe. You can see sort of a layer of moisture, and this can cause the sensor to think there is still moisture and call for another wipe. It has been happening to mine lately. Although I have noticed different behavior when it is misty as opposed to actually drizzle.

Last edited by MarkL; 02-14-2003 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by MarkL
I don't think the rain sensor selects the speed, only the wipe delay interval. The most they will do is full "low" speed if there is sufficient rain. BTW, position 1 is rain sense, 2 is "low" and 3 is "high" (assuming 0 is "off")
that's what i meant, the interval. even in mist, they tend to equal the interval of "low", their shortest interval (too short for just mist). that's what citron means too i assume.

thanks for the clarification of the positions.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by truelove79
that's what i meant, the interval. even in mist, they tend to equal the interval of "low", their shortest interval (too short for just mist). that's what citron means too i assume.

thanks for the clarification of the positions.
I keep updating my post and I see you've already replied :p .
Old 02-14-2003, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by MarkL
I keep updating my post and I see you've already replied :p .
yeah, i've been blamed for this before. i'm bored at work. about to head out anyway. gotta buy some flowers for the wife.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

either way, setting 1 (auto), 2 (low) or 3 (hi), you have no control over intermittent. if the wipers want to go fast, or the windshield sensor tells them to, they will. thats all im getting at. doesnt bother me to much and doesnt rain very often in san diego so im not overly concerned.
Old 02-14-2003, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C320
Originally posted by CitronC230K_03
either way, setting 1 (auto), 2 (low) or 3 (hi), you have no control over intermittent. ...
This has been a b!tch of mine from day one, my 2000 Passat had FIVE levels of granularity in the intermittent sensitivity. You'd think MB would have at least three, but noooooooooo, not even two...just ONE, on or off. Doh! Dayum.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Time for Windshield Wiper Insert Replacements. Suggestions?