C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Rolling stop ticket ;-(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Rolling stop ticket ;-(

Well my buddy called me last night after working 3rd shift at work to come over his house and play the new Tiger Woods 10. I'm like okay no problem I work 3rd shift again today. So I get in my beater car and continue to go to his house. With all the construction in my area I had to go threw this little "village" persay to get to his subdivision. I then saw a flashing red and stopped then began to creep up because there was a building in my way on the right side and I couldnt see if anyone was coming. I turn and boom a cop does a uturn and stops me that was coming opposite direction as me. I wasnt nervous because I knew what he had done me for and would probably let me go. I gave him my registration and insurance and then he asked me where i was going I told him where and why and he helped me with directions. Then he asked for my license.....I freakin forgot it in my work pants since I changed really quick with all my money. He asks me to get out now pads me down searches me tells me to go in the back of the cop car and walks me there holding my shirt in case I run. Then they continue to search the breeze for some kind of narcotics or controlled medications. Another cop comes and then they start talking about mcdonalds. Cop comes back in the car and then I have some small talk with him. How long have you been a cop blah blah stuff like that. Basically just being nice. He then lets me go and gives me a ticket for a tail light that was out and a improper stop. And he leaves........WITH MY KEYS! So im calling up some people to pick me up because I dont have a spare key for that car. And after 5 minutes he comes back and he says sorry sir your keys. Im like thanks! I was about to walk. Basically, should I go to court and try to get this ticket lowered from a stop sign to an impeding traffic of some sort. I was nice to the cop and he wasnt really mean to me at all.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I don't know man.. how much can that ticket be? How much is your time worth? There are lots of people on here that will fight tickets even when they were clearly in the wrong but I'm not one of them. If you did a rolling stop at a flashing red light then.. I don't think it's going to be expensive or worth the time to fight. I could be wrong, I guess. Here where I live in Georgia tickets are really cheap. Speeding 19 over is $65. Rolling stop is about the same.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 SLK 55 AMG
Well.
Did you explain the situation to the cop, since he was being nice?

A rolling stop is soooo common in San Francisco with all the hills, and stuff generally no one really does anything.
But I believe not stopping at any red light or stop sign is $273.

One time at a red light in a right turn lane, I slowed down to a 'rolling' stop half way into the intersection, no cars around, and I rolled on into the turn. I drove semi-fast into the turn and out the straight, but was caught at a yellow light the next intersection, so I thought about either gunning it or just stopping. I chose to stop.
Thank my lethargic self at 2am in the night, because at the stop light a cop pulled up next to my right and asked me to roll down my windows and threatened to give me a ticket by saying, "Sir, you do realize that you ran a red light back there?"
Obviously I said, "Sorry officer, I didn't know that I did."
He kinda' threatens / intimidates me and says, "Do you want a ticket!? Because it'll be $273."
At this point I just become the nice dumb kid and go, "No. That's a lot of money."
And he lets me off. But he then turns on his sirens, and makes a right turn from the middle lane
It was a three lane street, and I turned all the way to the left most lane... he was in the middle lane, and cut through a red light and drove off doing what I would do at a corner when there are cute girls around (silly testosterone )

Maybe he was being nice or something, but maybe it was me in my funny glasses and white dress shirt (was going home from a friend's party at like... 2am) No one fully stops on turns at 2am... Lol.
But if a cop is truly being nice, he wouldn't write you a ticket.

So I think you'll have a hard case if he Caught you rolling halfway into the intersection. But if he drove in a U-Turn you might be able to fight it off.
I really don't know if that's worth your time, or how much a rolling stop costs in detroit.
It's up to you if you wanna' save money. Fighting it is always an option. You don't lose any more than you already have been ticketed.

Good Luck
~J.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C240
I don't mean to hijack this thread

Same situation happened to me. A car was broken down in front of me in the left hand turn lane so I go around him to go straight and make a u turn a little further down the road and a cop pulls me over and write me up. He wrote me up and said, "Your stuck to that turn lane no matter what happens son." He was a ***** Ticket cost me $243 and I was not eligible for traffic school. FIGHT THE TICKET!!! WOOHOOO.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I would say that my bigger concern would be the search of the vehicle, etc. Vehicle searches are very sticky issues, and generally the idea is, to do a consent search properly, you give the citation, finish, give some form of the "you are free to go" and then ask, "you don't mind if...." (Any why would anyone ever agree to a consent search is beyond me....)

Based on what you said....I would have a HUGE issue with the search, especially the legality of it. However, those things do happen all over the country. It does not appear to have been a consent search....