C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Faulty Installation of Alternator Pulley by Bad Mechanics?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Faulty Installation of Alternator Pulley by Bad Mechanics?????

I dont know if i am being ripped off or not.

So yesterday i had my alternator replaced, and everything seemed to work fine initially. After driving the car for a while (100 miles) i notice that the car was making this grinding/whining noise that i had never heard before. I immediately parked the car and left it over night. This morning i was going to take the car into the mechanic, but the car battery/alternator indicator light was on so i turned the car off and opened the hood. To my surprise, and anger, i found that the poly v belt felloff, and the pulley on the alternator was loose or warped. So i tow it to another mechanic, and he says that the pulley should have been replaced with the alternator.

My question is does the pulley always need to replace with the alternator? Or could they have installed the pulley wrong on the new alternator, damaging it. if the later is the case im stopping payment to the first mechanic.

Please help...
Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by kcc94124
...My question is does the pulley always need to replace with the alternator? ...
No, if the pulley is good it should go on the new alternator. Are you sure he wasn't referring to the idler pulley? They often fail and spit off the V belt.

Originally Posted by kcc94124
... Or could they have installed the pulley wrong on the new alternator, damaging it....
They could have installed it wrong but what difference does it make? You paid them to repair your car and they failed. Take it back for them to remedy You shouldn't have to pay for an alternator or belt.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230k
Here is what may have happened the alternators on these cars are a bit different than other cars......

Detailed Notes: The Valeo units have what is called a "floating stator", meaning that when the unit is assembled the rotor is not pressed into the alternator castings like a conventional alternator, but is placed/centered in the housing and held in place by the pressure of the through bolts holding the entire assembly together. If these units are dropped, or are subject to pressure during installation,the stator can actually shift slightly which will cause noises that range from a magnetic type 'hum' to a metal-on-metal noise.

This seems to say that they are more fragile than other alternators, but it also does not state if the unit is ruined by this.