C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

weird start issue...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32O
weird start issue...

So yesterday, my friend and I drove up to PA to look at this car he was going to buy. It's about 3 hours away. Well we got there everything was fine, I was driving 70-75, speed limit was 65 so...but as we were leaving I drove maybe 2 miles and stopped at a gas station to get something to drink for the drive home and cash for the toll. I was inside for MAYBE 5 minutes, when I came out I tried turning the car on and it didnt start...It sounded like it was trying to start, but it felt like it would freeze..if that makes sense? lol After taking the key out and trying to start it like 5 times, it finally started, but I had a CEL. The car was running fine, didnt feel sluggish, no abnormal noises or anything. So I drove off, very cautious. About an hour and a half later we stopped for gas, when I went to turn the car on, it started but with hesitation and it still had a CEL. Well long story short we got lost took us way longer to get home, got home at like 4am. This morning, err afternoon lol, I went to check on the car, and I turned it on, perfect start, still had a CEL. Turned it off. Turned it on, perfect start and still a CEL. Well I left it running popped the hood, took of the front engine cover just to take a peak, put everything back, got in and no CEL...lol Sooo...any ideas? I have no clue....
Thanks!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Mercedes
Originally Posted by roflmonster
So yesterday, my friend and I drove up to PA to look at this car he was going to buy. It's about 3 hours away. Well we got there everything was fine, I was driving 70-75, speed limit was 65 so...but as we were leaving I drove maybe 2 miles and stopped at a gas station to get something to drink for the drive home and cash for the toll. I was inside for MAYBE 5 minutes, when I came out I tried turning the car on and it didnt start...It sounded like it was trying to start, but it felt like it would freeze..if that makes sense? lol After taking the key out and trying to start it like 5 times, it finally started, but I had a CEL. The car was running fine, didnt feel sluggish, no abnormal noises or anything. So I drove off, very cautious. About an hour and a half later we stopped for gas, when I went to turn the car on, it started but with hesitation and it still had a CEL. Well long story short we got lost took us way longer to get home, got home at like 4am. This morning, err afternoon lol, I went to check on the car, and I turned it on, perfect start, still had a CEL. Turned it off. Turned it on, perfect start and still a CEL. Well I left it running popped the hood, took of the front engine cover just to take a peak, put everything back, got in and no CEL...lol Sooo...any ideas? I have no clue....
Thanks!
Sounds like you have a bad Crankshaft Position sensor. Try scanning for codes?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM

2002 C32O
No I haven't scanned yet. I might go to an autozone in a bit.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:42 PM

2006 c230
Originally Posted by roflmonster
No I haven't scanned yet. I might go to an autozone in a bit.
BTW, if it is the CPS (crank position sensor) it WILL strand you at some point.

You've been warned.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Car
I dont think its the CPS.

A bad CPS will not allow your car to start, especially after driving such a long distance with that amont of time. In this case, your car DID start. The CEL could be a number of things, for that 'hesitation'.

First things first, get the codes.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM

2002 C32O
hm...okay. I'll go scan, then report back.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:26 PM

2002 C32O
Well, turns out, after scanning I got "P0335-Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Malfunction".

Originally Posted by 2006c230Mike
BTW, if it is the CPS (crank position sensor) it WILL strand you at some point.

You've been warned.
Well the thing is, I have to drive up to Delaware tomorrow, about 2hours away, will I be okay?

I found these two links, I don't know if they help because theyre w163 M Class:
1.http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...on-sensor.html
2. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163...ve-method.html

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:33 AM

A Car
I cant tell you if you will be stranded or not, it all depends on the CPS (it will decided when to strand you basically).

Best advice i can give you is try to drive it when the weather is nice and cool/cold, perferably in the early morning hours, as the crank sensor acts up when it gets hot.

[for those of you who need the part number for future references, here it is: A003-153-27-28] Its a simple snap off and plug in procedure, but getting to it is the hard part.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 AM

2002 C32O
well, im praying that I don't get stranded lol. Im driving around 11am so hopefully it won't be super hot yet. But On the way home from PA I kept checking the temp. constantly and it never went about 90ish, i dont know if that means anything, just thought I'd mention it since you mention the temp.
Thanks for the advice and part number
Old 08-27-2009, 09:49 AM

A Car
No problem. Goodluck
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM

2002 C32O
Well, I made it there and back okay. No Problems. I had to stop for gas and I was super scared to turn the car off and on again haha. But Im taking to tomorrow to get it fixed. Thanks for all the help!