C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

0-60 acceleration on C230 K, losin all the time :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I think my car "mite" have that cam problem. The 1.8 2003 coupe I drove for loaner seemed to be amazing compared to mine.

The remus I have is a single muffler dual tip, forgot to say that. car just feels really weak in general. Is there a way I can bring up to them there is a possible performance problem. It just hangs on the low rpm and lugs till i kick it down hard.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally posted by x15jq
Yeah, it upshifts way too late tho with it in first. Like way after redline on my car.

If you really want to have a chirping shift from 1-2 i have a method. Floor it till about 5900 rpm, totally let go of the gas, then smash back down on it, this has to be done really quick, and your tranny will kick SO hard into the next gear, it causes my esp lite to go on, I think this is bad for it, cuz sometimes when I do it, it bucks and jerks but switches so much quicker. The whole car lunges foward when it shifts like ur powershifting a manny.

I can even get the esp lite on, thats how I know im losing traction. Quite impressive for an auto IMO.

Given the way you pound on your car, its not surprising youre losing stoplight drags to relatively slow cars.

1) Its an auto...its gonna be a little slower than a stick.
2) Most SUV's that have big engines and AWD will smoke you out of the hole. My wifes V8 GC launches so hard, it spins all four tires for just a few revolutions and then it peels out of the hole. I can't catch her till about 65.
3) Are you bogging your car? The Auto coupe I test drove liked 3/4 throttle till about 3K was on the tach...it just bogged if you floored it off the line.
4)All the comments about the tall rims are correct...they change your gearing(for the worse) and add a lot of lbs. Lots of Bling Bling...very little zing zing.

A V6 Explorer?... maybe it is down on power...my Coupe runs even with the local RSX's and will hang with a WRX(Ok, the WRX does jump out off the line, but then he can't pull on me, or if were both moving, he stays dead even).
Old 02-24-2003, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, it upshifts way too late tho with it in first. Like way after redline on my car.

If you really want to have a chirping shift from 1-2 i have a method. Floor it till about 5900 rpm, totally let go of the gas, then smash back down on it, this has to be done really quick, and your tranny will kick SO hard into the next gear, it causes my esp lite to go on, I think this is bad for it, cuz sometimes when I do it, it bucks and jerks but switches so much quicker. The whole car lunges foward when it shifts like ur powershifting a manny.

I can even get the esp lite on, thats how I know im losing traction. Quite impressive for an auto IMO.

Another thing to add is the computer. It makes adjustments to the ESP, trans, drive-by-wire, and other components I am sure, to facilitate your driving style... So, if you are constantly spinning the wheels, it is going to try to prevent you from doing so, I think anyway. Also, the additional rotational mass of the 19"s may require 100 miles for the computer to recalibrate itself. This may have something to due with your experiencing a continued depletion of power. Also, I really think you may have been better suited to a manual transmission. This may be considered abusive driving. If in fact you are abusing your car as badly as this post suggests, expect some good slippage in the future. Fun stuff....

Here was a recent discussion on wheels, lite-weight + bling bling, etc... http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=2

and another http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...&threadid=1478

Last edited by nukblazi; 02-24-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:16 AM

Yeah, i definately agree with you. I wanted a manual car, but wanted an 02 because I heard it had more torque and was better suited for upgrades. Auto was all I could get, got the 02, in late october.

I really just tried that gear shifting method just to see how well it would find the next gear. My clk is perfect for an auto. It shifts fast and kicks down great, does exactly what I expect it too.

The c230 trans, on the other hand just seems to hang in redline if i kickdown hard at 30 mph, and then will shift too low of a gear, or catch the gear for only a second. I believe I may have a trans problem, not from the experiments ive done with it tho, because i dont do them on a daily basis. I never N drop this car, never even brake torque launched it till I read about it here today .

All in all, the auto is no replacement for the manual.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:18 AM

But then again, I look at the 0-60 specs of even the pathfinder, and it says their 0-60 is 8.2 seconds. If this is the case, and my auto is supposed to do it in 7.5, which i dont expect it too at all, then I really think it should be a little closer. I have no traction loss problem off of launch, it doesnt even spin.

The reason I opened up this thread was because I believe maybe my car has a problem. I am "thinking" it is the remus exhaust system I put on it in January. I just have weak low end thats all.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
The reason I opened up this thread was because I believe maybe my car has a problem. I am "thinking" it is the remus exhaust system I put on it in January. I just have weak low end thats all.
Is the exhaust just bolted on? Take it off and put the stock one back on and see if it goes back to normal. Then you will know if that is your problem. I don't think enough people here have experience with aftermarket mufflers on this car to tell you exactly how it affects the performance.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:26 AM

It is just clamped on to the cat bak pipe. But the original cat bak pipe and rear muffler was one piece. I had to cut it, so I really dont even know how the heck im gunna get it hooked up again.

I guess a muffler shop is up to the task if need be.

Anyways, also forgot to add, but I dont have the 19 inch wheels on now, im saving them for later when it gets warmer here in north NJ. Its way too cold now, and the potholes by me are HUGE.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...The reason I opened up this thread was because I believe maybe my car has a problem. I am "thinking" it is the remus exhaust system I put on it in January. I just have weak low end thats all.
Sounds like you do have a problem. Did you dyno the car before and after the exhaust install?

Did the problems start before or after the install? Assuming after, have you checked for leaks?

Do you have access to a Dyno now?

Have you brought the car to a service center to have a once over done?
Old 02-24-2003, 12:32 AM

Havent done any of the above to be honest. And yes, recently I have been hearing a psst sound like the clamp is loose on the exhaust. I think I have a loss of backpressure.

I havent had time to check it lately

Nukblazi, arent u in NJ too, i think i recall your location in north nj on csportcoupe?

Im in wayne nj btw

Do you know anywhere good to dyno around here?
Old 02-24-2003, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Havent done any of the above to be honest. And yes, recently I have been hearing a psst sound like the clamp is loose on the exhaust. I think I have a loss of backpressure.

I havent had time to check it lately

Nukblazi, arent u in NJ too, i think i recall your location in north nj on csportcoupe?

Im in wayne nj btw

Do you know anywhere good to dyno around here?
I am not the single most experienced person on these cars, not even in the top 100, but, I would take a look at the clamp, if it is a leak, have a exhaust shop weld it up. Even if you go back to stock you should cut and weld.

My friend had SRS (like national tire & battery) on rt. 17 in Ramsey do his.

I am in Westwood, NJ. I haven't done anything to my motor yet and I don't know of anyone with a Dyno. CEC has a shop in north Jersey, they may have a Dyno, or know of someone in your area who does.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:49 AM

Your friend had his welded at SRS on 17?

I am considering this, midas wasnt up to the task

What dealer do you go to btw?

I am thinking of getting the new steel hubbed ASP pulley. Not sure yet tho. Got to see the raves it gets first
Old 02-24-2003, 12:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
I got a couple replys to make to this thread.

1. i dont know why people are still worried about using the touch shift and not shifting thinking it will go into redline and mess up the car, i do that alot daily when using the touch shift and nothing happenes. It shifts just as it would when u floor the car.

2. Who says you should not be racing in a Mercedes? WHY!?!?!
I guess we should call up MBUSA and tell them to stop making all their AMG models since MB's are just for crusing. And instead of the V12s or supercharged V8's they should put nothing but the 3.2 litere V6's in all the cars.

3. How can the loss of backpressure for the remus muffer (if people think thats what it does) make u loose any HP? Buellwinkle dynoed his car and gained HP from no muffler, woulden't that be the same? Maybe not, but i dont know.

4. Who ever said its because its a dual exhuast on an I4 making u loose HP is wrong. Its just a dual tip muffler just like the stock one. Only the stock one is not noticable with the Oval tip.

5. I can honestly say that if x15jq thinks his car is slow because the remus muffler its probally a problem with his car because i have the same muffler and i if anything feel it being a tiny tiny bit quicker than stock. But definitly not slower.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your friend had his welded at SRS on 17?

I am considering this, midas wasnt up to the task

What dealer do you go to btw?

I am thinking of getting the new steel hubbed ASP pulley. Not sure yet tho. Got to see the raves it gets first
Yup, SRS on 17. I go to Prestiege Mercedes on 17.

I am trying to hold out for the Kleemann Lynsholm conversion. My ideal is the Kleemann conversion, the Renntech Cams, Intercooler, upgraded intake, supersprint header, hi-flo cat, and the Eisenhaus 83mm race perf. muffler. I am not sure if all of this will work together but in time I suppose I'll find out. If Kleemann never completes the Lynsholm conversion I guess a pulley will be in order. Kleemann is also prototyping a light-weight flywheel for their coupe. Clutch mods may be interesting too. I a company named Okema or something like that made something for the SLK 230K???

I want to complete the suspension first though, I haven't been able to decide on a coilover system yet. I wish Ground Control made a kit for our coupe. KW just announced some new systems at SEMA but I don't know if they are made for our coupe. Then there is the Renntech rear sub-frame mod, which I think someone had posted an alternative to it either here or at csportcoupe.
Old 02-24-2003, 01:18 AM

I want to hold out for that too, but it doesnt seem to promising yet. I can wait a while, because by not having the upgraded hp keeps me from speeding lol

I was going to go the eisenmenn route for an exhaust, probably should have because I love noise. And I ran this car without the exhaust attached at all, and it sounded awesome! I will probably get rid of the remus by next year it looks great but i need noise

I have the 19 inch wheels for the summer time, but im thinking of selling them now that I heard about all the HP loss and less driveability, especially with the nj roads. I met up with KMAN from this board, he works for CEC, his car is coming along really nice. He has a kleemann pulley and remus, and full lorinser kit wheels and springs.

Tommy who is also around here, did the Eibach sways, I still need to check with him because I wanted to hear his feeedback of how they helped out his car

Any mods on your car yet?
Old 02-24-2003, 08:01 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

1. i dont know why people are still worried about using the touch shift and not shifting thinking it will go into redline and mess up the car, i do that alot daily when using the touch shift and nothing happenes. It shifts just as it would when u floor the car.

I guess we should call up MBUSA and tell them to stop making all their AMG models since MB's are just for crusing. And instead of the V12s or supercharged V8's they should put nothing but the 3.2 litere V6's in all the cars.

3. How can the loss of backpressure for the remus muffer (if people think thats what it does) make u loose any HP? Buellwinkle dynoed his car and gained HP from no muffler, woulden't that be the same? Maybe not, but i dont know.

4. Who ever said its because its a dual exhuast on an I4 making u loose HP is wrong. Its just a dual tip muffler just like the stock one. Only the stock one is not noticable with the Oval tip.

5. I can honestly say that if x15jq thinks his car is slow because the remus muffler its probally a problem with his car because i have the same muffler and i if anything feel it being a tiny tiny bit quicker than stock. But definitly not slower.
There's a difference between dual exhaust and twin tip, I did not know the Remus was merely a twin tip, not a true dual exhuast. A dual exhaust on an I4 will cause a loss as it adds a second muffler and doesn't really push enough exhaust in the first place to warrant the additional flow provided by a second exhaust path.

There's a difference between racing and "racing all the time" as he put it. Why race SUVs in a "sporty car"? Plus if you're always losing as he put it, why even bother racing? I'd hate to lose all the time. The C230K is not quick by any standard. Altimas, even Sentras, RSXs, WRXs, special edition Celicas, definitely the new RX-8 and even the new Mazda 6 might smoke the C230K, its by no means an AMG.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe

Just because an AMG has a lot of HP does not mean it was designed and built for racing. HP does not eqaul RACE-CAR.

Loss of backpressure can reduce TORQUE and increase HP. Torque is what gets you from 0-60.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Well, I think my car "mite" have that cam problem. The 1.8 2003 coupe I drove for loaner seemed to be amazing compared to mine.

The remus I have is a single muffler dual tip, forgot to say that. car just feels really weak in general. Is there a way I can bring up to them there is a possible performance problem. It just hangs on the low rpm and lugs till i kick it down hard.
Take it out of "W"

Seriously- take the car to the dealer and have them check the cam timing AFTER you do a baseline dyno. This will give you the ammo you need to make them check it out. A proper C230 will put 164hp +/- to the rear wheels- if you are in the 150 range, have it checked out.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by taylor192
...dual exhaust and twin tip... ...A dual exhaust on an I4 will cause a loss as it adds a second muffler and doesn't really push enough exhaust in the first place to warrant the additional flow provided by a second exhaust path....

...The C230K is not quick by any standard. Altimas, even Sentras, RSXs, WRXs, special edition Celicas, definitely the new RX-8 and even the new Mazda 6 might smoke the C230K, its by no means an AMG.
Dual exhaust; Even on my old Monte Carlo SS, I lost more then I gained with true dual exhaust. The car had a 400 sm-block 4-bolt main. An off-road X or H type exhaust is better. I think I read somewhere that even the porches dual is fake, one of the mufflers is a blow-off for the turbos...(?)

The C230K is by NO means a 300+ C32 AMG! I do wish to disagree with whether or not it is quick. With my manual trans, if I rev up to 3k or 3.5 at launch, I can maintain equal distance with my friends 02' E46 M3 longer then he or I expected. It is the heavier convertible, and after 2nd gear he starts to pull away in a way that IS humiliating.

Also, rolling starts from 70mph I keep up with him until 100 by dropping into third, nearly redlining. He has the MSG F1 style trans.

One mod that is possible for those with a manual trans only is upgrading the rear diff gearing... below is a post from over at the csportcoupe forum. This may also apply to C320 Coupes, and C230K sedans with a manual. maybe SLKs too....

Randy replaced his 3.27:1 with 3.67:1 gearing below is his statement about the results.

Originally posted by renncpe

I have found that I can go into a turn (slow speed) like an auto cross course) enter and exit in second and not have to shift I would have if I entered in first with the old diff. One note you can only change the diff if you do have a manual (6 sp) otherwise it screws up the ESP and cruse control.

The higher diff has not really helped in the 1/8 mile it has a little but not that much. 0-60 times are much better 6.4-6.5. I can still top out at 130 mph but not in 5th like before. In a day of normal driveing which is normaly hard the way I drive. I get around 18-19 mpg around town and 26 or better on the highway.

Randy

Last edited by nukblazi; 02-24-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:54 PM

Yeah, I think im going to get the car dyno'ed. If it is low, then I will have a stance with the dealer. My dealer doesnt seem very experienced. Last time I said the pulleys were making noise, they gave me the car bak stating they checked them. I then find chunks of belt and a busted up tensioner.

Its sqeuaking again btw. I think its about to go for the second time.
Oh gawd.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:21 PM
Almost a Member!

X15, some suggestions

Just want to make sure you are aware of a few things. First off, the 0-60 time of 7.5 is generally had from a brake-torque launch as described earlier. If you are a just stomping on the accelerator pedal from a stop, you are likely getting times in the low 8's.

Second, make sure you are using good gas (premium preferably).

Third, ditch the 19" rims. Definitely not good for performance and north NJ. I'm from Hoboken, so I know all about potholes.

Fourth, make sure the Remus exhaust you got is designed specifically for your car. Check the installation. I once had a shop on Rte 46 (never bring your car there) install an exhaust on my Bimmer once. Bad job. They use cheap U-clamps to attach your exhaust...also might lead to rattles and messed up my stock mounting points.

Take your car to Performance Autosports in Englewood on Forest Ave. (not too far off of Dean St.). They are good guys (professionals, not some high-school kids doing work on civics like on Rte 46) and work only on high end cars (MB's, Porsches, BMW's). They do custom welding as well. They are certified in MB and BMW repairs/service. Have them check out your car thoroughly. I bring my car in for them to service if my dealer is backed up, or if I want aftermarket tuning.

I don't have their # on me, but you should be able to look them up in the phonebook or on the internet. Tell them Eddie with the silver 5'series says hello.
Old 02-25-2003, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

MB CLK320
Originally posted by Fresh
If the c230k can do 0-60 in 7.5 what is the point of getting the c320 since it also does 7.5?
Exactly..

My CLK320 Cab

Tested on 2003-02-21
Loading: 300lbs or 136KG + Fuel 38% full
Temperature: 20 deg C, Humidity: around 91%
8.1 - 8.5s (with a Seiko Chrono watch)

I cant believe a C230K can do 7.5s
Old 02-25-2003, 09:21 AM
JeT

Originally posted by goodman888
Exactly..

I cant believe a C230K can do 7.5s
Did you read the post previous to yours?
Old 02-25-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
hm..

The C230K is not quick by any standard. Altimas, even Sentras, RSXs, WRXs, special edition Celicas, definitely the new RX-8 and even the new Mazda 6 might smoke the C230K, its by no means an AMG.
maybe you have never raced it against those cars...

Altimas - Smoked
Sentras - Hang even leave them behidn at top end
RSX's - Beat us 0-60, rolling start completly even
Celica- sux... supposed to be a 6.9 car, its actually pretty slow.
RX8, Mazda6 or WRX will porbably smoke us.. atleast I personally know WRX does, I messed with one..
Old 02-25-2003, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
Celica's SUcKkK!... the other day i didn't even know this celica was gunning it until i noticed at 40 mph turning my head to this loud revving engine.... i just stepped on it and left him in the dust...

RSX-S can be beaten after 60 mph....

Sentra.. Spec R??.. ok light as hell.. but still no....

WRX yeah they'll smoke us, Rx-8 or Rx-7 yeah definitely

mazda 6 Haha i gotta race one of those...

c230k is no hot rod... but it can hold it's own when pushed... now the SLK32 is another story.. LOL...
Old 02-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Racing is always different

I think the point of the original message comparing all those cars was that the mentioned cars have the capability to beat the c230k. They all have faster times.

Altima V6 (5.9 Manual, high 6's auto)
RSX Type S (6.1 Manual, 14.8 in quarter)
Celica GTS (6.2 Manual, 15.7 quarter)
MB C230k (7.5 Auto, 15.7 quarter)

Of course these figures are subject to vary based on condition, driver, and 100 million other factors. But again, the original point was that the mentioned cars are faster than the C230k generally.

The comment about the C230 faster than an RSX over 60mph is obviously questionable since the RSX is about 1 second faster in the quarter. And so is smoking an Altima. The Altima he smoked must have been a 4 banger.

I like the C230, but I think it's important to be realistic and objective about its capabilities.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 0-60 acceleration on C230 K, losin all the time :)