C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Purging Bad Data?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Purging Bad Data?

What do you guys think about this faq I read on purging bad data. I got it from "C32life.com":

"When the factory designed the software for the engine and transmission mapping, it was obviously based on the hardware parts being completely broken in. Yet our car's computer has been building up a "learned" database during breakin, when the parts are wearing in to their "set." Thus, there may be incorrect relationships between what the engine and transmission are doing compared with the design. The factory says it takes at least a 1000 miles to breakin, but I have waited for 2000 miles to pass before purging the bad data. The time has arrived to reboot the operating system, just like Windows. It is quite a simple process. Just disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes. 30 minutes is a good amount of time to be sure that whatever can be purged, will be purged. After reconnecting the battery, and performing the four "sync" operations in the handbook and resetting the "settings" and time,everything is back to normal. Drive around for a few miles, and the good data will have been learned. My results are fantastic. The transmission shifts are now perfectly torque managed the way AMG designed the (eliminating the abruptness I had on 1st-2nd at about 3000rpm). The occasional delay in locking up the torque
converter in 2nd and 3rd gear is gone (sounded like slipping the clutch on a manual transmission). The engine idle is smoother (it sounded a little lumpy before). The throttle response is sharp (feels like another 5 hp has comeout). I have done this purging, i.e., temporary battery disconnect, on my last 10 new cars. For some, the results were dramatic (like this C32), and in others, hardly anything was different. It probably depends on the individual car. A mechanic told me about this trick back when on-board- diagnostics (OBDII) started getting complex in the mid 90s."

Does this work? Is it safe to do? Please help!!!
Old 01-26-2002, 08:10 PM

Red face

Yes it is safe to do however you may not see the big improvements that were alluded to.

Fact is the transmission and driving characteristics are set with an adaptive algorithm and how the car responds varies with time, temp, barometric pressure and other variables. The car adapts to your driving style over time. When you disconnect the battery you are forcing the ECC (engine control computer) to adopt the default settings stored in ROM. Transmission shift points, engine redline etc are hardcoded in ROM and these values are obviously not adaptive. If you initially drove the car like a little old lady during break-in and now drive it agressively it will adapt to your new driving characteristics in short order.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:26 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
VERY INTERESTING!

i was debating resetting after 2500 miles since i have been driving like a granny with car. i was afraid it was gonna be stuck in wimpy mode. i guess i may not actually have to

greg