C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Will a dealer Certify a car not purchased from them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bmw 528
Will a dealer Certify a car not purchased from them

If I buy a vehicle directly from one of the auctions they get cars from is it possible to find a dealer who will certify it for me and what would be the estimated cost?

Alternatively, I know you can purchase a Mercedes extended warranty. What would be the pros and cons of this warranty versus a certified one and how much do they cost and are they worth it.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2K5 C230K SS 6MT -BLK/BLK
Originally Posted by 4matics
If I buy a vehicle directly from one of the auctions they get cars from is it possible to find a dealer who will certify it for me and what would be the estimated cost?

Alternatively, I know you can purchase a Mercedes extended warranty. What would be the pros and cons of this warranty versus a certified one and how much do they cost and are they worth it.

No a dealer will not certify a car they didn't sell.

The benefit of a MB extended warranty (which mind you, is NOT through MB, but rather a third party) is extended coverage of things like engine and powertrain. Typically these are a waste of money because generally speaking, you won't have enough expensive problems to make up for the $4,000-$5,000 an extended warranty will cost. That being said, there's nothing wrong with a little extra protection, if you're willing to shell out the cash for it, because sh*t does happen from time to time.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350

sorry your post is a tad hard to understand. you are asking if a car bought at auction can be certified at a dealer (certified pre owned). or just buying any car and then buying Mercedes extended warranty.

ok if i understood you right a certified pre owned car should have the same warranty as the one you can purchase from Mercedes. i don't know how much it cost but it is expensive. I purchased my car from a Volvo dealer way out of the normal factory warranty. i took it in to a dealer and found out the previous owner had bought the Mercedes extended warranty. it is transferable so i got to use it until 100k which was great but i only had three things replaced that the dealer broke so they had to pay for it anyway. it seems to cover anything the original warranty covers with a few changes.
i assume you have not bought a car yet so i would recommend checking out the price different between a auction car and your local dealer car and finding out how much the warranty cost separate from your local dealer. also it depends on what my your are buying. if you are buying a 01-03 with 75k the warranty would be useless because it will expire at 100k or the years might run out soon. if you are buying a 05-07 i would not even really worry about warranty because no one seems to have any big problems with them. my 01 c320 was built on a very good day and is as reliable as any other w203 but if you get a bad day one you will not be as happy as i.

lol Twenty4Play i spent almost awhile before i started typing my response and you beat me lol are you sure about the mb extended warranty going through a third party because i had to call Mercedes to change it to my name and it only took a minute before it showed up at my dealer? also the extended warranty i had was almost identical to the original warranty so i don't know if they changed it now so that it isn't as good but mine was awesome. it even had a thing in it guarantying a loaner car for all warranty work.

Last edited by samaritrey; 10-21-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER

Did you do this to the BMW listed in the info under your avatar.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2K5 C230K SS 6MT -BLK/BLK
samaritrey -yep, I was told from my local MB dealer that it's done through a third party company, but honored by the MB dealerships and that you still go to the dealer for maintenance. So it's just like the MB dealer, except a third party is the one paying your MB dealership for the repairs.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM

Does the third party warranty cover loaner cars while the car is in for warranty work once the original mb has expired?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM

'03 c230k ss
Originally Posted by ilovegirls
Does the third party warranty cover loaner cars while the car is in for warranty work once the original mb has expired?
depends on the dealership and the amount of the work.

I've had a repair that amounted to around $2k and the dealer had the extended warranty company pay for the loaner.

if it's small stuff, you might have to fork up. my local stealership charges $35 for the loaner.
unlimited mileage and don't have to worry about the gas though which is kinda nice.

MB is getting cheap. they used to give you free loaners no matter what.