C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

reliability for the C230 Coupe??

Old 01-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
hmmm minor quirks.... hehehe who cares.

my dealership has m, e, c, and slk loaners.

i consider it a free upgrade when it has to go into service

greg
Old 01-29-2002, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I also had a BMW and the service dept wasnt very good. They never fixed my problems and they LIED. I changed my oil 500 miles before a major service with Kendall GT2 oil which is a higher performance oil. It is recommended for more turbo type cars that need more frequent oil changes rather than Mobil 1 full synthetic which people leave a bit longer in the system. Anyways, the oil is bluish greenish color. When I got my car back the checked the dip stick and it was still blue. I called the dealer and they told me they did a oil change. I asked what they use and they said castrol which is a yellowish straw color. If they didnt change my oil what else did they not change. They told me that after 30 miles my oil can change color since its been used...yeah right...to blue? I dont think so. So i dont trust BMW dealers. DONT SERVICE YOUR BMW AT NORTH HOLLYWOOD BMW.

Also, my friend did damage his piston on his Type R when racing it by putting it in 2nd instead of 4th. So i know it happens when people race...can you believe they wouldnt let me test drive a new Celica when I went in with my C36. I went with my friend who was looking for a car and he bought an integra GSR instead. DONT BUY FROM DOWNTOWN TOYOTA.
Old 01-30-2002, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Originally posted by revstriker
I could be wrong about this (and I probably am ), but in a 5 speed, if you shift into N, and let the shift center it self, isn't it normally between 3 and 4? If so, on a 6 spead with Reverse on the left of 1st gear, could the center position be between 1 and 2? If so, then by pulling down from third without controlling the left and right movements, it could be possible to shift into 2nd from third by mistake?
I know you've already gotten a response that the 3-4 gate is the "neutral" position with (I believe) any 5- or 6-spd. Just to help further, the "reverse" position which, like you said, is to the left of 1st, is more like a 4th gate which you access by lifting the shifter. So, in normal driving, there are only 3 gates on the 6-spd, just like a typical 5-spd. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6.
Old 01-30-2002, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
THANKS!

Hi all!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your constructive comments!

It really helped me think through the reasons I want this car, and the fact that the benz dealership is reasonable about loaners (as opposed to the VW dealership that sent me to a rental car place that rented me Dawoos) only helps.

It seems the bottom line is before the warrenty runs out, I'll get nice loaners if I have problems, and afterwards if the car is in the shop a lot, I can just sell it and since the resale value is high, which works in my favor.

Thanks again

Beth
Old 01-30-2002, 02:47 PM

C32 AMG
Re: reliability for the C230 coupe??

Originally posted by galaxygrrl
Hi all!

My name is Beth and I love the c230. I was all set ot buy it, but then I starting looking at Consumer Reports. While the car did well on reliability tests, it's not really comparable to the Acura RSX.
(LONG, Sorry) IMO,

VW-to-Mercedes: Makes sense!

VW-to-Acura: Doesn't make sense!

Trade laterally or Trade up. Don't get me wrong, Acura's are good cars. In high school I had every VR6 (Corrado, Jetta, GTI) that came out in that era. The rest of my "ricey" friends drove Integras & Civics. While Acura's are quick and nible, their speed has a very light feeling; kind of like a rabbbit. VW's, on the other hand, had a very strong feel - like a horse. Well built German engine, solid shifter, combined with a smooth, consistent clutch was always a winner when compared to their Japanese counterparts.

Moving on to a Benz brings in new changes: Service, "ensured" reliability, and reputable car quality. And don't forget about the MB loaners you get to drive when your car is in for service. There is also an intrinsic value associated with buying a Benz. Sure there are many cars out there that are priced less and may perform better, but what about the pride in owning a Benz? When I visit my parents in California, I always drive around my dad's 360. Sure, highly modified Supras always flex on me and try to race (Some of them would probably beat me too). But it doesn't matter, I just say to myself, "Let them beat me, who cares anyway i'm in a dam 360!"

I hope this totally biased opinion helps!
Old 02-23-2002, 11:35 PM

2002 Paprika C230K/C7/C4/C2/6spd/Chip(?)
Not to beat a dead horse, but as far as the RSX engines blowing up, here is the main reason why. Watch this video and see what Speed Racer does to his own car...

RSX Misses shift

Now, you tell me, how in the hell is Acura supposed to be held responsible for what this idiot did?

But my Benz is still better!

Ed
Old 12-08-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Here's what I think is the latest, greatest info on our W212 from Consumer Reports. Love 'em or hate 'em, CR is a source for long-term reliability data. Interestingly enough, their conclusion that our W212 is "pretty good" (and particularly the 2012) matches that of TrueDelta (RIP). https://www.truedelta.com/Mercedes-B...-186,2010-2013

Semi-off topic, but certainly related: It's surprisingly difficult to get a consensus definition of automotive "reliability." The auto press (and award community) alternatively defines / confines it to the first 60 or 90 days of ownership, first year or multiple years. My advice is to check the source's definition before getting hot and bothered.

reliability for the C230 Coupe??-zj4qk2rl.jpg

reliability for the C230 Coupe??-jiljrfrl.jpg

Just the 2012 W212 from CR and TrueDelta...

reliability for the C230 Coupe??-kr079spl.jpg